Car audio installation

Username: Stac104

Post Number: 1
I am going to purchase 2 12" volfenhag subwoofers and intend to power them with either an 800 watt or 1000 watt kick amp. The max power on these subs together is 2000 watts and 1000 watts RMS. Which amp should I buy? Also, will I need a capacitor? If so, how do I hook the capacitor up and will such a large amp need larger power or ground wires? Please help. Thanks.

Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 4
what ohm rating are the subs? What is your amp budget? What kinda of vechile you putting it in? What type of enclosure for the subs(sealed, ported, banpass, etc)

As for a capacitor---> ya get one drawing that much power it will be nice.

wires -4 gauge or lower from the battery to the distrubiton block. (Don't forget the inline fuse you'll be needing a nice big high quality one) from the distribtion block to the amps. 8 guage wire. Ground wire proably 4 gauge to the distrubtion block and 8 gauge to the amps. try to keep the main ground wire to 4 feet or less

wire installation of the capacitor is you hook the 8 guage power wire and black ground wire to the capacitor to the coorisponing postive + and negative - terminals then you piggback 8 guage wires to the amp. You proably be looking at least a 1 Farad capacitor.

I'm assuming you will be installing a amp for fronts. What do u plan for upfront? (mids and highs)

If you have troubles with power after the install you may have to replace the alternator.

When i had a system(out of my car for 5 years :'( , kids will do that ) I had the alternator rebuilt you may want to replace the battery as well to a higher end one for your car.

My system was a 5-1/4" in the doors, with dome tweeters and 3-1/2" mounted in the dash, powered by a cadence 2x75 amp. the speakers had caps on them to cut out frequency that i didn't want to pass thru. then i had a 15" 1000 gtx cadence in a enclosed box that 500 rms and 1000 peak, run by a cadence 2x125 that bridged to 500 watts. i had a 1 fared capacitor to the 2x125 amp. It all was installed in a 1986 Z24 hatchback Chevy caviler ( I miss the car)

Username: Stac104

Post Number: 2
The subs can either be run at a 2 ohm or 8 ohm mode. The budget for the amp is not the problem, I just need to know how many watts the amp should have and what is a good brand. My vehicle is a 1999 Honda Civic Coupe. The enclosure is going to be custom built in my trunk. My speakers are just regular 5 1/4" in the front and 6" x 9" in the rear. I was thinking about a yellow or red top Optima battery. Any sugestions? The alternator may have to be replaced too.

Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 6
I would check out a Cadence Dealer if u can find one.

http://www.cadencesound.com/

Kicker is a great brand too.

Best of luck and i hope i was of some help.

Would love to hear your system :D

say away from department store stuff.

Talk to a local dealer. That WOuld be your best option.

IF your speackers run at 2 ohm a piece the you can wire them to run at 1 ohm and get a mono block 1 ohm stable amp.

If i where you i would beef up your fronts, or all you will here is bass and muffled music.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=182850& I=044K600544&o=p&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y&search=

check out some kick panels. there is an artical about imagining as well

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/speakers_imaging_soundstage.html

I would unhook the back speakers or install 6" woofers and use a crossover and make them a very low mid range speaker. The bass your 12" speakers will produce will muffle it out and 2) it will sound like people behind u are singing.

Just things to think about i guess!!!!!

Not sure realy on a battery, just a heavy duty one that can fit in your car. and that is nice and fresh. By the year of your car you're about do for a new battery anyway.

Best of luck and I hope i was of some help

Would love to hear your system

POWER HOUSE
Unregistered guest
I HAVE A 4 FARED DIGITAL CAPACITOR AND I NEED TO KNOW HOW HOOK IT UP.

Lost as a mother
Unregistered guest
Hey Ive got the most midget 12v battery running 2x200w 5 1/4, 2x300w 6x9 being run by a small 300w amp and i just got a 1600w/500rms xplod sub and running that a rockford fosgate 1800w/600rms amp. All running at 4ohms, Will i need a capacitor? and last of all how do you run your car at 14.4v?

Username: Allizonme

AL USA

I got the best deals on all amps, capacitors,subwoofers,enclosures,wiring systems, etc. If you would like info and the best buys and deals online please comtact me at cmclure2003@yahoo.com Thanks

Unregistered guest
Im buying 2 6 1/2" 300 watt subs for my '95 chevy c1500 ext. cab and im wondering if i will need an amp or what. E-mail me if you got an answer.

matt_corey
Unregistered guest
hey i just got a road rage capacitor 1.0 FARAD 20/ 24 volt surge, and i would like to know how to install it if i could get a diagram it be cool butas of now i hooked it up and this is how i wired it...i ran the possitve amp wire to the capacitor then the negative to the capaciter as well,i ran to thick wires from the + to the+ of the amp, and the same with the neggative is this anywhere close to being right please hit me back .....

Anonymous

ousted yet. you must attatch the front side of the power cable (goes to the battery) to the positive side of the cap, the other side goes straight to the amp at the positive terminal. You should have your capacitor run in series with the positive power cable....ousted yet.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1989
no dont do that YET, did u precharge it yet

Bronze Member
Username: Shadylimitedx

Pgh, Pa Usa

Post Number: 11
i got da same subz an der pretty good loud an bass i only got 900 watts 2 1 sub 450rms an mine r ran from da amp 2 the first terminal an the + an - r ran da same way 2 the other terminal on the sub an u gota precharge the cap by usin that light bulb till it gos off an does that extreme dynamat work

Unregistered guest
installing xplod2010 with 2-10s and 2-6s and will be putting a xplod amp. 600watts total wattage. but my son only wants the back 10s to be powered by the amps. hey i'm new at this, the blue wire that is called some kind of remote wire ,what exactly is this wire for? can some one give some help. we did most of it today, with many problems , but lets work out these few 1st, thank you

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3369
the blue wire goes from the back of your hu where the wire that says subs is and it goes the the REM part of your amp to tell your amp when to turn on

Username: Mr_wiglz

ManchesterEngland

Post Number: 5
Anything between a 1500wrms amp to a 2000 wrms amp. the less power you give you sub the more chances that you will send a clip signal to it and fry it, so try and get something thats close to the subs power handling.

Also I had a 5 farad capacitor, which imo, put more strain on my little electrical system, so I took it out and upgraded the big three, (the wires from the alternator to the chassis, to the battery from the alternator and battery to the chassis) all upgraded to 0awg wiring. Than either add a battery (yellow top batteries are quite pricy) or get a Xstatic BATCAP which are awesome, they're part capacitor and part battery, they work far more better than capacitors and all you have to do is connect it in parrally to your amp. no fusing needed.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3440
yea true, the yellow tops are n ice, but it depends really, if you have a tiny car ike mine, neon, it comes tiwht a small stock alt so adding a second battery isnt relaly an option, and adding caps to a stock electrical sytem will also kill IT but upgrading the big three is majorily helpful but there is no substitute for a new alternator

Chill Bill
Unregistered guest
I just bought a road rage 1 Farad Cap and mine wont even get warm! Powering an Alphasonik 12 1600 W max
on a Sony Xplod 1200 W max amp is there something wrong with the cap? My voltage display works fine
and i precharged it before hooking it up

Chill Bill
Unregistered guest
do the digital caps need a remote wire?

Unregistered guest
NEEED HELP I HAVE 2 12" SUBS RUNNING 375W A PICE DO I NEED AN AMP/? IF SO WHAT KIND/? I HAVE LIL CASH RIGHT NOW

Unregistered guest
i have 2 12" xplod subs rating 350rms each powered by a jbl 4 channel 600 rms amp..with the system running at high volume the car seems to slow down..engine seems to be taking lot of load..can this be solved someway cause really dont wont my car running slow..also wanted to know wat capacitors r for and how they work..

thanks

Username: Earl

Lexington, Ky Us

i have a 980 watt poweracoustic amp. i have two rockford fosgate p212s4 subs bridged down to two ohm. I was curious on what i would expect if i had 4 p2's brideged in series parralell having a four ohm load, also would my amp be able to push the four twelves

Unregistered guest
my car barely starts now that I have the battery in my trunk; can i add a cap to help my starter?
or do you think its fine as long as it starts?
And do you think my alternator will still work fine?

Username: S10fiend

Houston, TX United States

I'm new to this but I was wondering if there is a way to get 2 10inch subs in a single cab 98 S10. And if I can what kind of subs can i put in it?

Unregistered guest
I got two 12 inch kicker cvrs with a 1000 watt mono block sony xpload amp do i need a capaciter its in a 93 supercharge bonnevile...and u think it will bump

Unregistered guest
i have an expedition with 12' duals subs which i will be switchn to kickers soon powered by dual amps which will be changed to rockford/pioneer (760w)..im going to install 6x8inch(220w) speakers on my doors which will be powered by the dual amp that i already have.(460w).im not sure what a capacitor/tweeter is for?..could you explain if i need it or not?..im fairly new to this n i dont want to just waste money..thx

Username: Opecom

Akure, Ondo State Nigeria

Hi Folks, Please I have a problem with Sony Xplod X45 its reading the 10 loader compactment its displaying RESET anytime I intend to play CD's I will appreciate all your help please.
opecomm@yahoo.com Regards, Ope

Unregistered guest
hey i just bought a sony explode sub and amp the other day which consists of one 12" 1000 watt sub(300 watt rms, 4 ohm) and a sony explode 500watt amp 4 x 50w rms at 4 ohm and 1 Ch x 250W at 4 ohm can u tell me if this amp will be able to run my sub thanks

Username: Sterillo

East Haven, CT United States

I just bought a cap for my system and I wanted to know what will happen if I don't pre-charge it?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us