What should I add?

Username: Casey

Post Number: 1
My current setup is 6.5 Infinity Reference 2way in the doors, Pioneer 6x9's 3way in the rear deck both run from a Kicker zx350.4, and a JL 10w7 run from a 500/1.
I just want to change or add something to make it sound a little better. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Nevertoomuchbass

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 267
use comps in the front instead of coaxials. and id throw a 750 watt amp on the w7 and get the most out of it. what kind of box is it in?

Post Number: 3
I forgot to mention that I did put tweeters in the upper part of the front doors. And the w7 is in a ported box built to JL specs.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3469
a nice DSP can make a difference if sound quality is what you are aiming for.

Post Number: 4
Yes sq is my main goal. And is a dsp kind of like an eq? What do you think of putting an 8 in sub in the rear deck between the 6x9s for midbass, i was thinking free air but I don't know if the sound would somehow be distorted by the w7. The reason I was considering this is because my coaxials are at a 120 high pass right now but they sound much clearer at 220 or so. Thanks again for your imput, I'm not set on doing this its just an idea so any others would be appreciated

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3470
basically, yes it is an eq. some have abilities to automatically adjust sound staging, phase, delay, etc. they can be expensive, though.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_168450/Signal-Processors.html?tp=37274

if you haven't already, sealing off your components so that they aren't infinite baffle and deadening their surroundings can improve their performance dramatically. you may not even need another driver for your midbass. it's quite a process unless you have it done professionally but it will pay off.

Post Number: 5
Ok I drive a coupe so only 2 of my speakers are in the doors, do would I need to do the trunk as well? As far as the 8 in driver goes, would that add significant midbass and could a sub such as the REX8D4 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27300_RE-Audio-REX8D4.htmlwhich is not a free air sub work in the rear deck not in a box like the 6x9s?

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3472
deadening the trunk will help stop rattles. that would be considered an infinite baffle to mount it in the rear deck. it would probably perform poorly.

Post Number: 6
O ok thanks for clearing that up. So if I did want to add an 8 inch what are my options? Would I have to make a sealed box to hang from the rear deck or just put it in regular box in the trunk next to the w7.

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3473
either option would work. the frequency range would have to be set on the amplifiers so that noise cancellation wouldn't occur. (ex. w7 20-80hz and 8" 80-200hz)

Post Number: 7
Do you think that is what the frequency should be set at? I was thinking somewhere in that range. If the 8 in would be in a regular enclosure would the midbass be as audible as in a sealed enclose firing into the cab from the rear deck?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us