Setting Up my Amps

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 103
OK i have an 8 gauge wiring kit hooked up. I will be running 2 amps. 1 rated at 310 RMS and the other at about 30x2 @ 4ohms and 60x2 @ 2 ohms. i will probably end up wiring it to 60x2 so i will have 430 RMS. would this be to much power for my kit? and since i will need a distrobution block would 8gauge to 2 8gauges work?? would i need fuses in that??

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3844
cable length will determine the answer at that current draw.
see here:
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

remember for a class AB amp, add an extra 40%. For class D add an extra 20% to compensate for efficiency and loss to heat. to figure current, take wattage and divide by 12.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 104
ok ive decided i want to go with 4 gauge. im just ganna buy one off ebay for around 25. i know knukonceptz is good but i need a credit card for that. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32808&item=5708775458&rd= 1
is that one a decent one anyway??

also i am going to get a dist block and use the 8gauge wire i already have to wire the amps power and grounds. would i need a Fused dist block or no?? and is 17' usually enough to wire from a cars battery to the trunk? i have a maxima and will wire it directly to the back on the same side of the car to the distrobution block.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3854
knukonceptz sells on eBay as well, and I believe they'll accept money orders, just fyi.

good plan. go 4 gauge to the block at the amps.
then split to 8 gauge.
fused block is up to you, it just offers you the ability to fuse each amp for it's individually rated power, which affords more protection.

17' should be enough, yes. I usually use between 8 to 20 feet for the main run depending on routing and the type of car and amp placement.

Silver Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 105
ok ill skip out on the fused block then. they are rockford and mtx amps im sure they have built in protection anyway. unless you highly recommend it. ok now another few questions here.

since im splitting down to the 8 gauge i will ground with 8gauge also?

and what size speaker wire is ideal for subs (getting 155 RMS) and 6.5"s (getting about 60)?

would the length matter? as the length for the 6.5"s are going to be long.

im going to wire the 2 Alpine 6.5"s into series and then bridge the amp. would this make it a 2ohm load? or would i wire the 2 positives into 1 wire and the 2 negatives into 1 wire and then bridge it?? sorry i just get confused when it comes to 2 channel amps and wiring wires together...would i just split them and then put them in a butt connector thing??

thanks in advance. sorry i just want to get this all right the first time and hvae a clean install

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3868
I'd use fused blocks since not all amps have any fuses built in.

8ga is fine for ground.
18 to 14ga for speaker wire
14 to 12ga wire for subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us