Too many problems.

Bronze Member
Username: Munkyjojo

Winamac, Indiana

Post Number: 27
As some of you know my amp was stolen a while ago (i still havent got it back.) Anyway a buddy of mine gave me two other amps. One's a 400 watt max 2 chnl and the other is a 300 max 2 chnl. First i hooked up the 400 and it worked fine. Except i have a bad connection or something because when i hit bumps it'll shut off ( the power light will go off.) Then yesterday i hooked up the 300. It all worked fine until i started driving. The 300 says it has power but the subs arent working. the 400 again says it has no power. My only conclusion is that i need to rewire everything. Mind you i hooked them both up in a matter of 10 min. Besides wiring, though, would there be any other reason for the amps not to be working. Im using the same ground bolt for both even though there's two seperate wires. And my power runs from a 4 guage to a splitter then 8 guage from there. Im also using the same remote turn on for both. Any help would be appreciated.

Bronze Member

Winamac, Indiana

Post Number: 28
Alright... changed my mind.im saying screw these cheap amps and subs and going for qualty. Im selling my 3 subs and 2 amps. if i ever get my optimus back though ill probably keep that for components sake. Anyway i traded my truck with my dad for a mustang. its one of those hatchback styles so itll be great for a stereo. so now i want some feedback on what kind of sub/amp to get. i dont want a lot of wattage considering the more watts, the more money and bigger alternator. i just want something thats low on watts but still bumps hard. hell, my reactor audio subs hit hard with just 85 watts pushed to each of them. so anyway now any suggestions on maybe 2 12's and an amp to power them would be great.

Bronze Member

Winamac, Indiana

Post Number: 29
As an afterthought the amp will only be used to power subs.

Bronze Member

Winamac, Indiana

Post Number: 31
any suggestions would be great...

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3872
uhh you want what? a new amp?
how many subs?
how many coils per sub?
how many ohms per coil?
what is the RMS handling for each sub?

Bronze Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 17
Well, I love my Infinity Kappa. You can get an SVC or a DVC model. For wiring simplicity's sake, I would go for the SVC. 300 watts RMS.

Bronze Member

Winamac, Indiana

Post Number: 32
i want a new amp..yeah. ill get 2 subs, have no idea how many ohms or coils. as i said.. im going for all new. i really dont want to go as high as a 1200.1.. for alternators sake. so like audiophile said.. maybe 300 watts rms. and a class d amp would probably suit my needs considering its only going to be for subs. im not exactly wanting top of the line stuff, for that gets pricey. actually im not wanting to spend much more that $2-300 for my paycheck is only about 80$ a week and most of that goes for gas. if you can just name some brands of the amps/subs and prices. im just looking for suggestions so i can search around and go from there.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3881
aha! ok now I understand you want an amp and subs.
My mind just wandered when I was trying to read the initial posts... it was like trying to read when I'm asleep.. haha

ok, look at two kicker compVR 12" subs and a Kicker KX600.1
that'd be a terrific match up. you can go sealed or ported, and even get a premade box to save effort.

Bronze Member

Winamac, Indiana

Post Number: 34
sounds good. my dad used to have kicker subs back in the day. Queston, though, should i get the 4 ohm or the 2 ohm subs?

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 20
Indeed. That's one thing that baffles me: If more ohms=more resitance, why would anyone want a 4 ohm sub?

Bronze Member

Winamac, Indiana

Post Number: 35
well i meant what does the amp need. all this ohm stuff is way over my head.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3896
for two 12" with the KX600.1 you want a pair of dual 2-ohm coil subs.
that'll make for a pair of 4 ohm loads, which in parallel yields a final load of 2 ohms

if you go with the kicker KX800.2 amp instead, which is two channels, you'd want the dual 4 ohm coil versions of the subs
this gives you 2 ohms per channel final load

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 117
a little less expencive setup would be either the 2 Kicker Comp VRs or Alpine Type Ss or Cerwin Vega V-MAXs with 2 MTX 311Ds. I have 1 311D on the way and it can do 300RMS. The kicker amp is a better amp but also much more pricy. You said $200-$300 for a setup. 2 V-MAXs and a MTX 311d would cost you about $300 plus wiring/box. The kicker setup would run you over $500. Even another MTX amp would only put you at $400 with the same power as the kickers. The subs are the same but ive heard on and off that the V-MAXs are better for thier prcie. I have found 2 new pair on ebay for 160. Not sure if you can find that again but im sure for less than $200.

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 21
Glass could you answer my previous question?

(If more ohms=more resitance, why would anyone want a 4 ohm sub?)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3902
because you need to keep the amp's total load within what the amp can handle.
if you wire up subs and drop the amp to 1 ohm, it goes into thermal protection.

personally, I run all of my amps in the car at 4 ohms for better damping, headroom, SNR, and less distortion.
this will explain more:
http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=47.topic

Bronze Member

Winamac, Indiana

Post Number: 37
yeah.. the kicker is kinda pricey. how would a jbl 600 amp sound with those subs?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us