Box Building Questions, Please Help

Username: Daemoan

Post Number: 1
I have a single 600 watt alpine 10" dvc 4ohm Sub.

I want to build a box out of some sonotube for kicks...

either 12 or 14 inch tube (inside diamiter)

I dunno how long it needs to be for best bass.
or witch size tube to use, id like it to be as slinder as possble....'
Port or no Port?

Id really like it to be deep and clear as possible
so im not trying to mess this one up....

I got kids now so im limited to my trunk space and this is the easy cheapest option i can find....

if anyone can tell me what length i need for air space req i would appreciate it.

heres an example of what i wanna do, this is much larger and more wattage so its huge id like to make a smaller one for my trunk
http://www.surfnetusa.com/sho/Webdocs/INF10text.html
googleimage sonotube4

Thanks
Ill check back soon for replys.

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1315
well it would help to know which model of alpine that was, but since i know that the type r is 600 rms i will go ahead and guess that is the correct one.
also, the displacement on the older and newer models are different so ill just give some numbers that might be close until you can get some specifics on the sub

if space is limited, you would want to go sealed.
Also, making a cylindrical enclosure like that ported would get pretty difficult.

for the 12" diameter tube, the inside length would work anywhere from 17" long to 24.5" long

for the 14" diameter tube, the inside length would work anywhere from 12.5" long to 18" long

Post Number: 2
do you get a different sound of bass the shorter the tube or the longer or do you need to be more exact.. length wise...? but thats why you need more info on the sub huh i think is said its a alpine d2 dvc 10", its at freinds ill get the info and post tomarrow i thank you for the help, iam on a limited budget so if i cut this tube down to much, my wife wont let me buy another

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 614
I'm not sure of the specs for that sub, and I would look it up if I wasn't on a phone.....but the length of the tube only matters for the volume that it brings with the length. If you make the enclosure volume the smallest recommended, ur sub will reproduce higher bass better. The largest volume box recommended will beat out the lowlows better, and since u said u want it to b low, go big!

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 123
Only the v3's are rated to take 600wrms so im gonna assume its the SWR-1023D

To obtain a QTC of .707 the box volume after displacements should be .975 cu.ft. The driver displaces .08 cu.ft. so we are looking for a total internal volume of 1.055 cu.ft.

In order to achieve that with a 12" tube it needs to be 16 1/8" long and with a 14" tube it needs to be 11 7/8" long.

Of course sealed boxes are pretty forgiving so no need to be EXACT.

Good Luck.

oh and btw, if anyone wants to crunch some numbers the specs for the v3 Type-R's are here: http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-10+12_23D_43D.pdf

Post Number: 3
Okay, I was all wrong Its a RF Punch L2 500watt peak (P210D4) if this matters.

Thanks Again For The Help

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Totally different story with the RF Punch, im gonna assume its the 2007 model since thats more prevalent right now.

QTC of .707 means 1.28 cu.ft.

sooo...

For the 12" tube... about 19 1/2" long
For the 14" tube... about 14 3/8" long

Post Number: 4
is that a exact or ruff measurement? and do i have room for error give or take an inch? and does i need to put any padding in this tube? and does that take away from the air space? also to cap wach end ill prolly have to inset atleast 3\4 of an inch on each end so would it be safe to cut the tube at around 22 inches?

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
Thats nearly exact for a QTC of .707, but you can always change the volume of the enclosure to change the sound, for example, Rockfords recommended enclosure for the 07' P210 is only .6 cu.ft. Which qives a QTC of .858, This means you could cut the the enclosure in half if you wanted to, but a QTC that high will most likely result in some boomy or possibly muddy bass.

If you want to use some sort of fiber or polyfill you can, and it actually does the opposite, it makes the enclosure "seem" bigger.

22" seems like a good number to me; after all. changing the size of the enclosure by +/- 1" will not make a big difference.

Post Number: 5
will that also cover the volume displacment from the subwoofer, just double checking all my p's and q's before i go get the stuff. is there anything else i need to think about or concider.... im really wingin it :P

Thanx For letting me pick your brains.

Also, Dont Laugh... But..
Iam Useing A 1200 watt sony with one channel out so I only have half that amp, which iam told is not even really putting out 600 per a channel.... and recommendations on a ideal amp for my project and also do i need a capacitor thing

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 617
Capacitors are a joke. U don't need it. It would best if u can staple some pollyfill to the inside of the tube. Like he said, sealed boxes are forgivind if the exact volume is not met.

Here is ur amp specs:

200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
250 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
500 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (4-oh Low-pass crossover (50-300 Hz, 12 Variable bass boost (0-10 dB at 40 MOSFET power supply and outp . ut Tri-way capable (Tri-Way Crossove CEA-2006 compliant Preamp-and speaker-level inputs Preamp outputs Gold-plated connectors Fuse rating: 40A x 2 15-3/4"W x 2-3/16"H x

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 618
Since ur sub is dvc 4 ohm (im almost certain) then u will b sending it 250 wrms. Just see how u like it, and if it ain't got the power, look for an amp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us