Is this enclosure any good?

Username: Alpinetyper12

Post Number: 1
my friend built this box a while back an i wanna know if it would work well with a alpine type r 1243 im a noob when it comes to boxes

ext dem. 24wx16hx16L
port. 14.5hx2wx38L
the port is like a s shape an i believe its 38 inches long?
could you tell me what the box is tuned to an how many cubes?

any help is appreciated thank you

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 370
If you don't know already, L * W * H / 1728 = cubic feet (in inches).

Obviously you don't calculate using the outer dimensions, and you didn't give the wood thickness, so how could we possibly find out? We need the baffle thickness too, like maybe the baffle is 6" depth, that'd total a lot less NET/grosse space.

Use the 12 Volt Port Calculator, you are so not inept to boxes when they make it this easy to calculate for one. You'll be to within 3 Hz of the tune because you'd need to calculate for an end correction (for instance, a port that's physically 20" long doesn't equate to 20" length given on the calculator). Measure from the center line. I'd explain end-corrections, but I just got off my 1st day at a new job and I'm broken. It's somewhere here anyways. Google "ecoustics forum end correction" and you're guaranteed to find me explaining it in 10 posts.

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1306
im just taking some guesstimates here and i would think the port is probably not quite that long

is there only 1 corner in the port? could you measure the lengths of the port for me?

by those numbers though the box is 2 cubic feet at 29 hz assuming the box is built with 3/4 thick mdf or whatever it is made of.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1307
rechecking the math and that tuning is going to be closer to 30

just making sure i get it right

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5945
6" baffle? I have built some of the most ridiculous, over the top boxes maybe ever, and I have never even come close to THAT thick of a baffle. That's six plies of 1" MDF!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1308
wrong thread?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5946
Post from above:
"Obviously you don't calculate using the outer dimensions, and you didn't give the wood thickness, so how could we possibly find out? We need the baffle thickness too, like maybe the baffle is 6" depth, that'd total a lot less NET/grosse space."

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 373
lol it was an example. I've seen some beefy walled baffles, atleast 4", it's not uncommon with cone area exceeding 1000 square inches, you gotta contain the beast!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us