Need 2 12's

Username: Dloco486

Post Number: 10
I was goin to buy 1 ssa xcon but my budget has changed. i want to find 2 12" subs that will rattle my trunk and piss my neighbors off, but i cant spend any more than 300$ on the subs.Does anybody know of any subs that will do this in a sealed box that are only 150$ or less a piece?prefarably dual 1 ohm or 2 ohm around 800 or more watts rms.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3164
what amplifier do you have?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
i was thinkin about getting a soundstream rubicon 1600:1 or a hifonics brutus 1700:1 both 1 ohm amps for around 230$ or find an amp that would be sufficient for whatever subs you guys suggest. i know with 2 subs that are 1ohm dvc i can make a connection to a mono block at 1 ohm and 2 ohm dvc's wired on a mono a 2ohm. so ive got an idea on what amp ratings to look for jus need sum good sub suggestions.

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1180
Two dual 4ohm Alpine type r's an an aq1200d

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1303
another option would be audioque sdc2.5's

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
if i get 2 4ohm dvc subs i can wire each sub at a 2ohm load right? then can i bridge the subs 2gether to make a 1ohm load to the amp? which subs hit harder the audioques or the alpines and will they hit harder than 2 boss audio onixs? my buddy has the onixs and i know they hit real hard.

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 369
I thought you had the 1600.1?

For sealed,

Eclipse SW8210 (12") 750W RMS, sold out on partsexpress, they were $200. Best sub you could possibly seal. FC @ 28 Hz, QTC .5, in 1.5 cubes. Models much like an LMS Ultra sealed. 86.5dB sensitive.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1304
but they are sold out and above his price range

for your budget, amplifier choice, and desire to have it loud, the audioques are probably your best bet

Gold Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1183
I thought he was using a sealed box though? How would sdc's do sealed? To get the ''loudness'' your after you would probably want to use a ported box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
i haven't bought an amp yet. i need to know if i had the loads right? i did some calculating i was wandering if i was wrong. with two 4 ohm dvc subs i can wire each sub down to a 2 ohm load right? now can i wire them together to get a 1 ohm load from the amp? if not ill get 2ohm dvc's with the soundstream 1600:1 because it rms @ 1200 watts @ 2ohms. i like the response of the alpine type r 20hz to 400hz.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 371
Google "wiring your subs: dual voice coil". It also works for "wiring your subs: single voice coil".

2 DVC 4's wire into 1 ohm.

You want 2 DVC 2's for 1200 @ 2 ohms.

Pay zero attention to manufacturer-posted "frequency response" on whatever model because the box will matter a lot more. Look for something with a low FS. Any sub can play 20Hz, just some do it better because they were designed to. You won't be hitting no 20-400 Hz with a box tuned at 30 Hz, at that point it would be around -24dB @ 20 Hz.

I've listened to each year (like 02 to '10) Type-R 10's & 12's, and in all box designs. IMO, they really suck in the wrong box (any prefab, especially - get this - Alpines' prefab lol), yet are very surprizing in the perfect box. The Type-R 15 models nice in a medium sized sealed box, better than most 15's that are designed for sealed & ported.

You can do better than sealed Type-R's.

Eclipse's are out of his budget? Than so are Type-R's, but he's considering them?

Nobody has asked - how much space do you have? That's the 1 factor in how the sub(s) will perform.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1305
art, by my calculations the ebp of the sdc2.5's is 60
should be fine sealed

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
actually i found the type r's on amazon for 127$ a piece in dual 2 ohm 126 in dual 4 ohm new. thats y i was really considering them. im getting a mustang i was goin to build a box to the size of the trunk and leave enuff room to mount the amp and cap. since i dont understand how to tune a box i was just goin to build a sealed. when i was reading about ported boxes though it said it splits the bass of the back of the sub and the front and on some notes can actually cancel each other out. thats wut steers me away from a ported box. does anybody know the sensitivity level of the type r's?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Hifonics brutus 1700:1 d is the amp that actually does 1200 watts @ 2ohm, soundstream rubicon 1600:1 does 1100 watts @ 2ohms i had it wrong. is the hifonics brutus a good amp it is cea certified. would it be good for 2 type r's

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3165
I have pair of brand new 12" RD sonance v2's (round wire dual 4 ohm). RMS is 600w each. They things sound really nice, and still get loud. one of my favorite all around woofers.

$125+shipping each

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3166
http://rdaudio.net/products/sub-woofers/sonance-series

Silver Member
Username: Nissankicker

Grambling, LA USA

Post Number: 316
I might get laughed at... But if you want something that's GREAT! in a sealed enclosure: By you 4 Crunch Ground Pounder's - $59.99 for 2 on Ebay... They are Dual 4s - So you're gonna be @ 2ohm or .5ohm - And that Hifonics amp CAN run @ .5ohm ( And you DON'T need a great electrical for it ) Get a 4 12 box... It's let them have it!

... I had a budget " Street Beat " ( Hood Beat ) system - that included: 6 12" Hifonic HFI12D4s - Autotek AT-2000.1 ( Running @ 1.3ohm ) with a Cheap $17 Crossover from Pyramid... I was under $400

All this was in the trunk of a 1999 Nissan Sentra GXE 4-Dr... And it did DAMAGE! And the sound quality wasn't horrible either...

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11878
That amp may run at .5 ohm... for a while... not long

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3168
Or he could use that money and buy 2 good woofers lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
@ dj tucker im sorry man but atm i've got 2 autotek mm 15's i really dont want to downgrade in the maxxsonics dept. and how did u get a .5ohm load out of 2 4ohm dvc's by my calculations the lowest u can get is a 1ohm load the .5 ohm load would be 2 2ohm dvc's. and the crunch's rms @ 600 watts that hifonics does 1700@1ohm i think if u went more powerful than that on them subs u would have cones rainin down on u.lol. but idk never have messed with them.@ somedonniedude have u heard the rd sonance compared to the type r's. iknow the alpine from back in tha day was good kinda like the old rockford fausgate compared to the new but idk bout the new stuff.

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3169
Never heard type-Rs sealed. ive heard r's ported and still say the sonances sound better. sonances do get loud sealed still. the RD's are built better than the type'rs. now ive never owned R's but ive handled a few at best buy and the feel cheaply built compared to RD woofers.

are you stuck on running a sealed box?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
i dont want this to sound like a dumb question cuz i cant even afford them just curious. are the type r's better than the kicker cvx or cvr's?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
@ some donnie dude the only reason im kinda stuck on a sealed box is i dont know how to tune a box. i plan on building a box myself cuz buying 1 is too expensive

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3170
there are plenty of websites that take the brain work out of designing a properly tuned ported box.

Here's one thats fairly accurate..
http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

You can buy cvr's cheaper than type-r's, and refurb cvx's for not much more. the kicker woofers still feel cheaply built to me. many people still like them tho.

What vehicle do you have? do you have any electrical upgrades such as better batteries or high output alternator? If your gonna do much more than 1000w rms those are a crucial thing, or you will not get the power you need out of a big amplifier and possibly damage your amplifier, battery/alternator or even woofers from heavy clipping.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 372
Everyone hold on the suggestions until he tells us the space he has available, and at that point model each subwoofer.

You're not going to get super loud with 1500W & 2 12's in a sealed box, but it'll be pretty awesome daily if you choose the right sub(s) for your air space.

Response is everything. If your box/sub(s) rolls off at 45 Hz than it's not going to do much good at 30 Hz.

Ported boxes aren't hard to build, they're hard to design if you're new. I can design one in 30 seconds flat given the useable dimensions. You should realize that a ported box is simply a sealed box with an extra wall inside.

You should have stated the space and the goal or at the least what you listen to. Sometimes ported is louder only because a comparable sub in a sealed box models poorly, while a sub that was designed for a sealed box can be better than the ported box slightly below its tune. 3dB, like from 137 to 140 isn't much, the gap gets bigger after like 147.

If you think you'll want more than what you can afford than consider using way more space, even a sealed wall with budget subs would get louder.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
are the type r's better than p3's? i listen to everything but mostly rap.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
whats the difference between a capcell cap and a farrad cell cap which is better?

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3171
Id probably say type-r.

Save your money, capacitors are a joke.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
my buddy is runnin 1400 watts rms amp with a 20 farad cell cap and it doesent drop his volts at all. do they make batts that do more than 12v cuz the amp iwas goin to get is a 14.4v?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
off this subject does anybody know if i ca n bridge a 2ohm load on my current amp w/o killin it? the amp i have atm is a Legacy LA2970SL. its 2ohm stereo stable. the guy at the audio store i went to last year told me i couldnt do it when i had him wire my subs but then he tried to sell me another amp right after he told me that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
will 2 type r's sound better and hit harder than my current subs i have 2 MM15D2's her is a link for the subs description

http://www.maxxsonics.com/corporate/news_CES05AT_MMnewlook.html

these subs are in an approx 7.25 cubic ft ported box. they will not fit in a mustang and i dont think they would sound as good in a smaller box. i have them in a 93 lincoln continentel atm.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1309
i couldnt find any power ratings on that amp, not even on legacys website.
it does say that it is 2 ohm stable, but probably only stable bridged at 4 ohms.

without any real info on the amp i cant be positive, but that guy you talked to was more than likely right

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
the amp says it 2 ohm stereo stable for 2 channels wut i was wanderin if i bridge a 2 ohm load rather than a 4 ohm load would kill it.. he was trying to get me to buy a diamond audio amp for almost a thousand $ right after he told me my amp wont do it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1310
that amp he wants to sell you is expensive

but he is right, that amp is most likely not stable bridged at 2 ohms

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 594
What vehicle is this going in??

Capacitors are a HUGE JOKE don't waste your time/energy

Gold Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1185
This sites kinda cool for figuring out ported boxes.

http://www.klausaudio.com/

Just type in all your info/specs and it will pretty much tell you how to build it.

x2 on the capacitors. Dont waste your money. Get a good battery up front an do the big 3.

and if you are buying an amp id suggest the aq1200d

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
im fixin to get a mustang. but if the subs i already have are better than the type r's might get a blazer and just upgrade my amp im goin to sell the lincoln. but i am also thinkin about putting a little system in my wifes car some thing just to add a little bit of bass and make it sound better she doesnt like real loud bass. the audio store by my house has 2 10 inch diamond d1's for sale at 40$ a piece that would be good for her right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Is that aq1200d cea certified?

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 597
That aq is legit and u can take that to the bank

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3175
last i checked they were not cea compliant

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 117
CEA compliance is a nice little system, but when you get into more "under-ground" companies like AQ it doesn't mean squat.

To become CEA-certified, companies have to pay a fee. Most of these "under-ground" companies go more by word of mouth than anything else so they don't pay the fee to get the certification.

Another downfall of CEA-compliance is (im 95% sure about this), they ONLY rate an amps output with a 14.4V power supply and a 4-ohm load. In a realistic setting, most cars will sit more around 13.2-13.8V and most high-power applications run down to 1-ohm. CEA rating says nothing about 1-ohm output.

Sony makes CEA rated amps, companies like AudioQue, Image Dynamics and Zapco aren't CEA rated, but I want to meet the man that would choose a sony amp over an ID or Zapco. Rest assured, AQ's do rated power.

Username: Austin201195

Post Number: 5
ill sell you my two 12 inch subs in a box. 800 watts each

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
which subs do u have?

it only made me kinda worried to get that amp because of how small it was.

Username: Austin201195

Post Number: 7
Clarion

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
are they 800 watts rms or peak? what kinda voice coil do they have? and how much are u watin for them?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
i have found 2 diamond d3 12's for 300$ are they better than alpine type r's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
i looked in the trunk of a 2000 mustang and i couldnt fit 2 12's in the trunk unless i faced them up towards the trunk because there is a metal dome back towards the seats and if ur lucky its ten inches from floor to roof. so if i get 1 will subs in a ported box or sealed facing in that direction sound good? does anybody know if the trunks in the 98"s are bigger or at least tall enuff to fit 2 12's in them? im goin to get a 3.8 not a gt.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 609
Yes 2 12s will fit. My buddy had an06 with 2 12s ported and room to spare. How old r u dloco?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
25 yr old. i'm hoping u didnt ask that question in a disrespectful way.how come u were wantin to know my age?
i actually measured the trunk of the 2000 and it was around 10 1/2" where that dome is. thats y i was wanderin if they would sound good facing up towards the roof of the trunk, but i watched a youtube video and somebody had his facing up so i guess its allright.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
i got a 90 eagle talon tsi instead of a mustang, so i got more room for subs. i'm goin to go with the type r's and an aq 1200d. should i go ported or sealed in a hatchback?

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 615
Go ported. That will b a good sounding system. I was askind that cuz I have seen kids here and other forums that r about to get their first car and they daydream about loud bass and ask millions of. ?s and end up not getting a car or subs hahaha. No disrespect, I was just following a hunch. Questions r good tho, but to limit it to 'smarter' questions, check out this site

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/index.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
ohhh!! naw its not my first car and it will be my second car audio system.i was only askin so many questions because i screwed myself on my last system and i was scarred of spending all that $ on a system to have it sound like sh!t or be underpowered cuz i gotta wife and 4 kids and im the sole provider. now ive got my new car and i ended up with a 90 eagle talon tsi instead of a mustang. im selling my old car and my system i had in my old car to buy this system. i just wanna make shurr ima get the most bass and best sq for the price. now i understand y u was askin my age.
ps i ended up with subs that rms @700 watts a piece and ended up with a amp that could only push about 300 a piece to them. cuz i didnt know a thing about how car subs hook up and dvc's
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us