New enclosure design

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Post Number: 3390
Someone want to design me a new enclosure for my sub? I have 1 15" AA Havoc and the enclosure its in now was designed for a HD3,its around 4cft tuned to 35-36hz with 2 4" aero ports. I dont think I have the proper port area for my sub to really preform properly. I have an extended cab S10 so I dont have a ton of space but I have enough to do around 4-6 cubes. Im not sure what is best for my sub so maybe someone can help me out. I have around 40-50" wide,24"tall and I would like to do a slant face front so 12-15" at the top and 14-18" at the bottom. I would like to tune a little lower too,maybe around 32-34hz. Im thinking sub front and port to the side or if I do aero porst again I could do them on top. I am jus clueless when it comes to designing a proper enlosure. I just know the one I have now is keeping my sub from preforming the way I know it can. Dont get me wrong,it gets loud and sounds good in the enclosure I have now but i know it can get louder and lower! Its being powered by an AQ 1200 and I have a Troy Jones 230 amp alt (I have yet to install still lol) so i have the proper power I just need the proper enclosure now. So can someone help me out? If you need any more info just let me know. Thanks guys.

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Tofino, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 927
Hey bro what year truck is yours? Got any pics of your install?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3391
Its a 2001 extended cab LS 4.3 v6 Vortec Dropped 3"/3". It needs exhaust work,I just got a Thrush welded muffler but need a shop to put it on,I wanna get a custom/bigger y-pipe and 2.5" pipe all the way around and dump it right before the rear axel with a turn-down tip. I also have a smooth rollpan,tailgate handle relocator so I can still open my tailgate but have a smooth tailgate,third brake light is getting shaved,also have a license plate box so I can put my plate where ever,running 205/60/15 tires cuz the stock size would have rubbed since I lowered it. Spectre air filter,big 3 only with 4gauge now tho,230amp alt with a gloss black finish,2 runs of 4awg one Knu Kolossus fleks and the other is Knu cca wire,Alpine cda-9813 HU,AQ1200,Ascendant Audio Havoc 15",6.5" Crescendo components,Clarion dpx2250 this amp has a blown channel but its all I have for now,Duralast "red top",Glow Shift digital blue volt gauge in the a-pillar,running 10k HIDs from DDM Tuning. I love my truck but it needs some work under the hood. It needs a new intake manifold gasket it leaks coolant really quick and then starts over heating. I called a few shops and one said around $650-$700 and the other said around $500 but they also said I may need new thermostat,plugs,wires,distributer,etc but they would have to look at it and wouldnt be able to tell until they got it apart. But as long as I keep it filled with water it runs fine but even after putting a couple gallons in it it still leaks out by the end of the day. Its getting fixed soon tho,I cant keep driving or I will blow it up tho lol.

No pics of my current setup but here is one of my old setups

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/393066.html

I got rid of those clear signal light lens tho,they turned yellow so I went back to stock. And its WAYYYY more dirty now lol.

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 106
Here is what I came up with

Vb: ~4.7 cu.ft (net volume)
Dp: 10.365 in (equivalent port diameter)
Lp: ~40.8 inches (port length)
Fb: ~31.6 Hz
F3: ~26.8 Hz
Peak Port Air Velocity: @~30Hz, Mach .05

(not sure if you can make it out clearly, but the top is 15" and bottom is 18") I wanted to make the slant steeper to make the angles a bit easier to work with, but i was afraid the subs mounting depth would get in the way. It came out kinda close for my taste but.. eh.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

And some WinISD plots.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 928
Nice I love my truck, just rolled over 86000km. I've got a 2003 S10 ZR2 package, lifted 9" Got headers, 2.5" dual exhaust dynomax muffler(nice deep throaty sound), cold air, electric fan, and a sh!tty hypertech chip, don't ever get one its trash! I just did my heater core in mine last week, nightmare job! 12 hours and lots of beer

How much power you running right now and how does the stock alt hold up? You have stock 4x6 in the dash still or did you replace those? How bout the tweeter in the door, does it keep up with your Havoc?

I'm about to install a 15" Mag, prob 2.2 cubes and 1500w sealed right behind drivers seat so there's still a bit of room for the fold down seat and another 4x100w amp to power speakers up front.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 17075
if you go 2.2 cubes sealed make sure you stuff it with alot of poly fill and youll be really close to the size box the sub needs sealed

Silver Member

Post Number: 929
Yeah was planning on about ~3 lbs of poly fill.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17079
thats to much it will make the box smaller than it can be....go with 2 pounds

Gold Member

Post Number: 3392
"How much power you running right now and how does the stock alt hold up? You have stock 4x6 in the dash still or did you replace those? How bout the tweeter in the door, does it keep up with your Havoc? "

Im running the AQ 1200 and a Clarion amp for my components that does 200wrms so around 1400wrms total. The stock alt holds up just fine,I have an aftermarket volt guage to keep an eye on it and even at full tilt it never drops below 13v. But I do have a 230 amp alt just sitting in my roon waiting to be installed lol. I just have a duralast red top and did the big 3 with 4awg and Ive never had voltage problems. I have the stock 4x6s in the dash but they are not hooked up,thats a bad spot for speakers and it just wouldnt sound right with my components and them both hooked up. All Im running is one set of Crescendo Audio 6.5 components with the mid in the stock location and the tweet in the same spot as in those pics above. The Crescendo comps are plenty loud and they keep up with my Havoc just fine. If I were you I would not put speakers in the 4x6 location I would just run one or maybe even 2 sets of components. One good set of 6.5 comps with a good amp to power them will be plenty but if you like a little overkill you could always run 2 sets of comps or maybe add some super tweeters or somethin.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3393
alonzoub-Thanks for the design but I dont understand all that technical talk lol so whats the total volume of the enclosure,how much port area, and whats the final tuning? Also I like that design but I think I would want the port on the other side. I like the sub where you have it but I think the port would be better on the other side.

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 110
The TOTAL volume of the entire box using external dimensions the box will take up 9.167 cu.ft in your car, but it fits in the dimensions you gave.

The Net volume (volume of the air in the box minus the port) is 4.7 cu.ft.

Fb (Box Tuning Frequency) is ~31.6 Hz

Port area: 84.375 in^2 (544.4 cm^2)

Also I like to keep the sub as far away from the entrance to the port as possible, you could easily flip the port around to the other side. You can do w/e you want with it

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 580
Post pics of both Yall's s10

I had a ZR2 back in the day with a 5 in lift and 33s, I loved it

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 361
Bro you really went in depth with those corners lol.

I have GoogleSketchup 8 but it's so hard to use, I wish I had Autocad.

I'd do sub & port up-fire just so the sub never hits the seat.

You have lots of space - like 45 height x 50 wide x 21 depth.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3395
Well after all that my truck is just f*cked now. Im so tired of messing with it Im ready to just sell it. Last year the fuel pump went out and I was without a truck for about a month. Then I find out I need a manifold gasket,thats a pain in the a*s, and just last night my goddamn tie rod just fell and started dragging on the ground. Not to mention it needs 2 tires in the front and new exhaust work. I am just done with it. I need a car anyways.

Silver Member

Post Number: 932
There she is

Upload
Upload

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24688
Marty McFly!!!

Not even close really lol but damn just the same reaction!

Please tell me you use it and it's not just for looks.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17096
Nice truck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 933
Haha yeah I do get to use it, need more friends that can go places I can go though!

Thats fresh after a clay/wax thats why shes so shiny
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us