Choosing a new subwoofer

Bronze Member
Username: Sqcivic

Post Number: 26
Hi everyone.. So I'm asking advice on my next upgrade. Right now I'm running a single 13" jl audio w3v3 off a Alpine PDX M6 at about 600rms. The sub is in a slot ported box, 2.55 cubes tuned @ 28hz. Here is my dilemma... I want it louder. You guys know how it is right? Its never enough!

I'm thinking of either getting an additional PDX M6 and adding another 13w3v3 in a sealed box(for both), or getting rid of my 13w3 and going with a 13w6.. I'm running off stock alternator in a 2010 Civic. I've upgraded the battery to a kenetic 1400, did the big 3 with 0 gauge, and I'm running 0 gauge to the back. I'm also running a PDX F4 to a set of Hertz HSK165xl up front. Pioneer deck...Any thoughts?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11854
The W6 is not going to be loud, it's designed for strictly SQ. If you're set on JL, what you want is the W7 which is a compromise of good SQ and loudness.

However there are other subs out there just as good for less that what you'll pay for JL. The Fi Q is the sub I most often recommend to ppl who want W7s. The Q on 1000 watts performs as well as a W7 on equal power.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5930
An Elemental 13Av.2 - D4 would work nicely in that box. Get another M6 and run one on each coil.

Silver Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 237
Interfire Audio Pro-V series woofers are pretty nice as well. At the shop I work at we carry JL Audio, Planet Audio, and Interfire. I'd have to say that the Interfire Pro-V woofers perform very nicely and are very reasonably priced. From a distance the Pro-V woofers actually look very similar to a W6. They might not be JL quality all around but they are much nicer than a lot of woofers that you see people using these days!

Silver Member
Username: Chevyfan502

AQ HDC315AQ 2200

Post Number: 234
12 or 15'' SSA ICON / 2AQ SDC2s / Fi Q or SSDs/ IA lethal injection /DC lvl 3's or 4 on AQ1200 will KILL ur current setup.
DO IT.
BE HAPPY.
THANK ME LATER.
lol...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Thanks for the input guys.. I've actually been interested in the FI Q, so one 12" of these will sound better than my set up? How many watts?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11865
1000 watts is good for a Q

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 353
AQ SDC2.5's have high sensitivity (the 15" is 90dB). 1 or 2 of them in 3-5 cubes (each) on their 1200D (@ 1 or 2 ohm) would get loud. Every review I read, the person says that it gets a lot lower than what they tuned it at.

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1177
Fi q is a great choice(i have one myself) but i think if you want "louder" than you might want to check out the BL. And if it where me i would step it up to a 15'' too. (if you have the trunk space)

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11869
The AQs are highly efficient, but the price you pay for that is the frequency response is less linear which translates to not as good SQ.

The Fi Q has a very flat response which is why it is a popular SQ choice. But, the tradeoff there is less efficiency which means less output on equal power.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

TX

Post Number: 2237
Sundown SA 12's would do very well on that amount of power (600 per sub)

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1283
Tc sounds axis and a bigger amp!

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 574
IA Warden 21" and a bigger amp!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Wow.. I haven't even heard some of these. I think I'm gonna go with 2 w6's and a PDX M12

Stackinmack- I drive a civic man.. The only way I can fit a 21" is if I make it a 2-seater lol

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 576
YEA ur right. that would be............

.........EPIC

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 575
If you want to be just a little bit louder then 2 w6s in a ported box will do that.
But if u want to get much louder then you need to go in a different direction. Aq sdcs can get much louder than what you have now but the bass will not sound anywhere as clean. And you could easily get by with an aq 1200d which is much cheaper than that alpine amp.
If you really want to get loud there's plenty of subs like digital designs 3500 or 9500 series that can do that. But that means investing some money into a high output alt and a few more batts to have a few thousand watts

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8642
at the moment im running 2 12w6 jl audio woofers in a sealed enclousure with a matching jl audio 500/1 in a tahoe.. trust me it sounds amazing im underpowering the subs by around 300 rms but for me its daily driving.. and it sounds amazing.. dont think it wont be loud.. it will be loud for an sound quality set up.. but not as loud as a dedicated spl set up ( made specific for loudness with alot of sound quality lost)

if your running that it might be because your tunning is way too low.. 28hz... try 32-34 hz.. you can even add another w3 and im sure you will improve alot if you add a nice amp and a good enclousure made for your specs..

but like im saying 2 12w6 sound amazing on a sealed enclousure.. its so clean since their sound quality woofers.. but they do get decently loud.. for 500 rms that im pushing them with... im thinking of doing 1000 rms but i dont want to deal with alot of electricals.. and my sound system sounds amazing..

trust me with 2 12w6 your set ;) just find a nice clean amplifier..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us