Please help with sub reccomendation

Username: Twiztid_blunt

Post Number: 1
I'm still really new to car audio, but I've been catching on to a lot of stuff. However when it comes to what type of box I should get and which subs are better quality I'm still lost.

I listen to a lot of rap, with some harder rock.

I have a KAC-9104d AMP which has 1800 w Max, 900W at 2 ohms, and less than 900w at 4 ohms.

If you could just recommend a hard hitting, good sounding set of 12" subs, that would be much appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11825
At that power level, 2 RE SE's or 2 Audioq SD2.5s would be nice, depending on what you want. Go with the former for a bit more SQ and the latter for more SPL.

Provided that amp hangs on for you... no offense but kenwood amps are known to be junk. They use very cheap power supplies that eventually fail.

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 458
2x on the amp holding on. Also look into ssa dcons, fi x, and incriminator audio 187s. Those are a couple subs that would sound nice and get loud off that power, plus there u.s. Made

Post Number: 2
thank you, I think I decided I love a good SPL but it aint crap if it doesn't have any SQ

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

Post Number: 3388
Thats my name yo!

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11827
You would probably like either of the subs I suggested then, they are both middle of the road models.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

TX

Post Number: 2231
love my RE SE's... get loud and sound good on 1000rms

Post Number: 3
cool I'll probably run 2 ohms which is 900 w for my amp, so if that's a 2 ohms sub then sweet

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 332
^ that didn't quite make sense.

Your sub may be single or dual 1,1.5,2,3,4,6,8,12 ohm voice coil(s), and they might be able to wire down to 2 ohms. For instance, 2 DVC 2 ohm subs can wire into 2 ohms, it just sounds like you're saying that a 2 ohm sub = 2 ohm into the amp, it's not exactly like that.

If you're getting 2 subs than you want DVC 2 ohm, that will wire into 2 ohms, so yes you were correct... just I don't know how much you know, so... like who knows, maybe you'll change your mind and want 1 sub, and buy the wrong coils. Most subs come in different coils so "if that's a 2 ohms sub then sweet" shouldn't be one of your concearns.

Your amp, most likely, isn't making anywhere near 900W, and I'll bet your electrical is stock? You'll probably only see about 500-750W out of it, which is just fine.

"ssa dcons, fi x, and incriminator audio 187s" - X3?

If the X's are on sale you can't beat those for $60ish, it's just too cheap to pass up.

The AQ SD2.5's are very cheap too, with amazing T/S, I think you get the most bang for your buck here.

I would get the AQ SD2.5's (SDC's?), they have very high sensitivity and the 15" is only $159! Don't they have free shipping? 2 SD2.5's with their 1200D amp would BHHHHANNNNG {oO,}.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11828
Right, if you're amp is 2 ohm stable and you are getting 2 subs you need them to be dual 2 ohm coils.

The kenwood amps are actually CEA rated and will produce rated power, it's just the poor quality that makes them release the magic smoke early.

Post Number: 4
I do have electrical stock, one thing I plan on upgrading before my new sub.

Thanks for the reply because I don't know a whole lot, i'm slowly catching on.

"with their 1200D amp" that part threw me off.. Get a new amp? (thank you for helping, I know it's not too fun to help noobs)

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Tofino, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 925
Yeah he's suggesting picking up an Audioque 1200D as well as 2 12" Audioque SD2.5's. Would be a really nice setup

Post Number: 5
I see, where is the 1200D better than my KAC-9104d (i'm sure there's plenty of ways but just curious)

more importantly, will my kac-9104d suffice with 2 12 aq sd2.5's

and did you say get svc instead of dvc?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11829
The kenwood will work. The AQ is better in build quality and that it won't go boom after a year or so of heavy use.

Get DVC 2 ohm subs if will be using the kenwood, if you get the AQ you need DVC 1 ohm subs.

Post Number: 6
hhhmmm why 2 with the kenwood and 1 with the AQ?

and did I read that you can change DVC's from 2 ohm to 1 ohm?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11831
B/c the AQ is 1 ohm stable and makes it's power at 1 ohm, so you need a final 1 ohm load instead of 2.

And NO you can NOT change the impedance of a speaker.

I'm gonna suggest you visit this site and do some reading:
http://www.bcae1.com

Don't worry when you don't understand everything right away. Despite it's name that site is anything but basic.

Post Number: 7
lol thanks a lot, youve been very helpful

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 336
The Kenwood will be fine because SD2.5's are sensitive, which means they could get louder than 2 12's on more power, 1200w will just give them their full potential, it's real cheap at $249, it's like the cheapest one out.

With Fi you can get parts that allow them to change the impendence later on, but you have to send it to them. You can recone to a bigger/smaller size too, cheaper than buying new.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11837
That's called a re-cone as I wasn't counting that... not something most ppl can do at home as it is not free.

Post Number: 8
SD2.5's sound like the way to go, I can get two with my budget, and from what I hear they'll go good with my amp.

I heard a good way for me to go would be to get two 4 ohm subs and wire them at 2 ohms. Will that work with these SD2.5's?

I'm slowly getting through that bcae1.com site, it's extremely helpful (it's finals week next week so it might take a sec to finish it)

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11838
Those are DVC subs... 2 coils each... so to repeat what I said before

"Get DVC 2 ohm subs if will be using the kenwood, if you get the AQ you need DVC 1 ohm subs"

Post Number: 9
cool, I think I'm going to purchase the FI BL 12" 1 for now and a second one later, than maybe in the future (or when my amp goes out) I'll get the AQ and get my BL's impedence changed to match the AQ

Thanks for repeating what you said, my bad..

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1301
i dont see why you anticipate your amp going out

as long as you treat it right there should be no reason to think it has a limited lifespan.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11840
It's a kenwood, read the thread we went over this

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 562
That kenwood is stable to 1 ohm, is it not? Read the thread, yall went over this.

Why would he get 2 DVC 2 ohm? unless he wanted to run that amp at .5 ohms, which is prolly do-able, but not reccomended. or @ 2 ohms, which is 2 ohms, not 1.

You could also wire 2 DVC 4 ohm subs into 1 ohm, which is what you want.
1 dvc 4 ohm will will wire to 2 ohms.
1 dvc 2ohm will wire to 1 or 2 ohms.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 341
Not even the whole thread, just the 1st post.

He has 900W @ 2 ohms, which is the lowest impendence he can do.

He wants 2 subs.

Two D2's wire into 2 ohms, and that's what he needs slash wants.

Post Number: 10
no the lowest is 1 ohm I could be wrong but i think the manual says greater than 900w at 1ohm 900w at 2ohms and 500 at 4ohms. so 1 ohm is what I wanna shoot for from the sounds of it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
sorry guys had to edit the first post, sorry for the stupid mistake i straight screwed up my bad (didn't include the 1ohm rms)
nvm to old to edit but yea according to my manual ^ that post is right

sorry again guys

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11845
Ok well that changes everything.... lol

Here, just use this tool to figure out what coils to get:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11847
Also I will add: You'd be best advised to run that amp at 2 ohms actually. 1 ohm is what kills those kenwoods even tho they claim to be able to handle it, the power supply is not up to the job.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
thanks again, sorry for posting like an idiot, won't happen again

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11848
Man it's cool that's why we're here to set ya straight

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
lol thanks, so I should stick with 2 ohms for my kenwood now I found a pair that runs 600w rms each, so is that 1200w rms total? and would 900w rms be alright or too weak

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 346
Less than 300W would be weakish, and you won't notice much of a difference between 500 to 1000 watts, it's very miniscule, it's not like turning the volume half way down, it would be like 1-3 notches on the deck.

For 1200W RMS keep your Kenwood at 2 ohms or get an AQ 1200D for $249. You want 2 D1 (or D4) coils for 1 ohm with the AQ 1200 (which is 1 ohm stable). 900 @ 2 is just fine, but try to sell your amp and get the AQ before your amp explodes and you get less when you sell it.

What subs are they?

What vehicle? Did we cover that? I'm too tired to read.

2 Abahn 15's would most likely be louder, maybe not louder than 12" BTL or BL's ETC.

If your friends listen to rap and aren't recommending ported than they havn't had a good enough box to switch over. All of my friends swear by sealed, but their systems suck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I was considering these http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewitem.php?id=27311&show_tab=2

I have an 06 Toyota camry 17t 39w 32d

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 349
Nah don't get those, get 2 AQ SDC2.5-15's. You have 10.26 cubes NET/sealed to work with, and you can fit 2 15's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I was hoping to go ported but i also would like to keep 16d for my hockey gear I'm willin to get whatever works best though

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 350
Hockey gear? You'll hardly even fit a hockey bag let alone a sub box and a hockey bag. If you're concearned about a hockey bag fitting than don't buy subs.

You can fit 2 ported 15's. If you want space for hockey stuff than you'll want 2 10's or 1 12 in a slim box.

Keeping 16" depth, you have 4.877 cubes NET/sealed with .75" MDF, which is about enough for 4 cubes NET for 2 12's.

Hopefully you say 16" depth because you know exactly the space you'll need, but the people I know who play hockey can't even fit their bags into the trunks of their cars, their bags are like 40" x 20" x 15", just huge.

I'm hoping you get 2 15's for a ported box and you use the back seat for storage.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
thanks exactly the kind of input/advice I like. I currently have a 16d ported box (stupid pre loaded from best buy 2 12" kickers) leaving 16 left and I can barely squeeze my bag in but I do it (subs facing back seat of course) I'm more than willing to use the back seat, just hopin I could work something out with trunk space. but I'm open to all suggestions

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11855
Those RE SE's you posted are great subs. A few members on here run those and liked them.

Gold Member
Username: 420pimp2

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1131
Best buy? Could have got them for cheaper elsewere fellow ganja toker. Subs facing back seat dont really make a difference.

And re se's are excellent quality product!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
kid i know had em and sold them to me with his amp for 200 after wreckin his car. got them on 4 year extended warranty, I'll probably blow em get new ones and try to return em for cash within 30 days.
(there facing the seat so they dont bang up against my hockey bag on the way to the rink that's all)

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

TX

Post Number: 2235
RE SEs are sweeting sounding subs.. just get the older models, not the new shtufff

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
well sh!*, i don't know if I should get audioque's or RE's

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11860
Well you said you want a compromise of SQ and loudness so in that case get the RE's.

If the goal were all out SPL the AQs would be best.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
why would u want all out spl, spl without quality is straight crap

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11863
I agree, but some ppl want it for competition and whatnot

I used to do SPL comps myself, I had a DD 9515 sub which is geared for SPL but still sounds decent, and a box with two swappable ports to change the tuning.... a 35hz daily port for it to sound decent and a 47hz port for SPL burps. The SPL port gained ~1 db over the daily. That setup did 145s on an american bass 2000w amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
where can I buy dd's online

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11866
haha ddaudio.com only if there are no dealers in your area... if there is a local dealer they will not sell to you and tell you to go there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
what if the only one in your state doesn't answer the damn phone

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 352
What's your budget? DD is expensive.

Check out the SSA XCON, used/2005 or less RE XXX (the one with the XBL^2 motor), used could be found for ~$300. No compromises for SQ & output there, the next step up would probably be a RE XXX (new version) or the LMS Ultra at $900 from partsexpress.

I would try 2 12" Fi BL 4" voice coils in 4 cubes with an AQ2200 @ .5-1 ohm, which should be like a 50/50 mix of SQ & SPL.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Thanks, that's basically what I was wondering (how expensive) Couldn't even get an idea.

My budget will be around 400, I'm highly considering getting a great one now, then in the future getting another one identical with an amp to sufficiently power them.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11867
You can find a used DD 9500 for $400, new you're probably looking at a 3500

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1179
Checked about 4 months ago, A 3515 was a little over $500

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11870
Wowsers their prices have gone up

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 354
Up here in Canada, my 05 RE XXX 12 was $350 used.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
what do u get for all that money

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 357
Local pick up, and the best SQ I've ever heard.

The XBL^2 motor retains 70% BL (motor-force) at full xmax when normal designs are at 30% BL, which means lower distortion, better lows, and better SQ. It doesn't have coloring, it sounds neutral and clear on everything.

The box was 2-2.25 cubes @ 36-38 Hz, and it wasn't designed the greatest, no bracing, 1" MDF, I should have done 2.5-3 @ 30 Hz, without rear-fire & port to the side. With my stock electrical and 90A alt it made my Sunfires rear-view fall off 3 times. The car was stolen but luckily the XXX blew a tinsel the week before so I switched it for a $200 Atomic APX.

A Q will come to around $350 with shipping. The Q is like a re-designed XXX, the Q is a lot lighter, but handles less power (XXX is 1600W RMS), and has more distortion. The same guy designed both.

The worst thing is the tinsel being all open, but in my case that's what let me keep it.

Hard to get re-cones, but I'm pretty sure PSI has them and you can go up in size. I might re-cone to an 18" and wall it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
sweet, sounds worth it

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11876
" The worst thing is the tinsel being all open, but in my case that's what let me keep it. "

Tinsels are woven into the spider on all Fi Subs since 1-2 years ago.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us