Buzzing from sub

Silver Member
Username: Mrmef

Post Number: 104
hey guys i just got my system back instaled in my jeep and when i play my sub a buzzing noise is comming from it every time it hits. is this distortion or a problem with the sub?? it only happens when it hits a note...not any other time. im just wondering if i have a problem with the sub

i have a 18" fi bl and aq 1200d for right now

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1995
hook up something to to the amp with a 3.5mm jack to rca and see if its still doing it where phone / ipod / whatever is acting as head unit and see if it is still doing it, may also be bad ground, or detached voice coil.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
im having a hard time understanding your post...if i unplug the rca on the amp and plug something else in there will be no signal going to the sub, so how will i tell if its still doing it? also how can i tell if a voicecoil is detatched?

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Tofino, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 919
I think he means the RCA's from your HU, unplug those directly from the amp and plug in a RCA to 3.5mm jack(headphone) and plug it into an ipod/mp3 player, see if the problem is still there.

Have you set your gains properly? I've had an amp before that everytime it clips it would "buzz" from the sub.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1998
becuz if you use a "mp3 player" + a 3.5mm jack to rca cable your mp3 player becomes the signal source for the amp, play a song with bass if you still get the noise when the bass hits it could be your ground, or other fun thing to chase down.

detached voice coil sounds more like 2 things hitting then buzzing, i am going to say probably not a detached voice coil. could be a few things, just check and see how every thing is connected and see if any thing looks amiss.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
i understand now im gunna try the rca trick when i get a chance and go from there my gain is set pretty high but my clipping light dosent flash

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 544
push the cone in briskly and see if it makes a noise or if you can feel any vibration or friction happening. If so, it could be a stray wire from your VC or some other crazy thing

Also, does your sub "smell" ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
no it dosent smell, im pretty sure its my ground im gunna go through everything once i get off these 12 hour shifts
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us