1200W Amp for One 12" or Two 10" Subs?

Bronze Member
Username: Goodstang

Long Island, NY USA

Post Number: 37
I posted a similar thread on the subs forum, but this has as much to do with amps as it does subs, so please help if someone can:

My question, after I give some info, will come down to whether I should use the 1200W Amp to power one 12" sub, or two 10" subs. My intention is to get the best sound from the subs at moderate volumes.

My current setup is as follows: Two Sony 12" Subs (max power=1200W's each), powered with a 1200W Sony 2-channel amp. The subs are each in a sealed box.

The sound my subs produce is full of rattles, and if and when the subs hit a good note, the trunk lid of my car (the subs are in the trunk) rattles way too much - (you can hear it dimly from inside, easily from outside the car).

I was tuning the amp just a few minutes ago, and I took a chance: I removed the pos/neg. wires for one of the subs, leaving just one 12" sub plugged in. The result: sounded amazing. No more rattle sounds, and the trunk would only vibrate when i turned the volume way up.

I remember reading that if a sealed sub does not get the correct amount of power, it will play shitty. I figure that's what messed up my system before i removed the wire for the second 12" sub.

So my question is this: should i leave the system as is, but only power one 12" sub with the amp (the sound is absolutely fine this way, with just a tiny bit of trunk rattle at high volumes).

Or should i purchase two 10" sony subs in sealed boxes, and place them in my rear seat location, instead of the trunk location where the subs are now?

Basically, will it be better to have one 12" sub in the trunk, or two 10" subs directly behind the front seats?

The desired sound level is perfect as of right now, with the single 12" sub. I am just wondering if I will be happier with two 10"s.

Bronze Member

Long Island, NY USA

Post Number: 38
The specs are as follows:

for the 10" subs (remember i'll be using two if i go with 10"s): each one has 1100W peak, 300W rms, 4ohm voice coil.

for the single 12" sub: 1200W peak, 350W rms, 4ohm voice coil.

The amp is:
200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
250 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
500 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms

Bronze Member

Long Island, NY USA

Post Number: 39
???
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts