Guess what came in my mail!

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1984
Got my SA-15 finally, I will do a small 2 part review of it compared to my FI Q 15". I know it's like comparing apples to fish but it's a good reference in my mind. The SA is not as hefty as my Q but still solidly built, it's not as stiff as the Q but my Q has the extra spider so again not fair. Sounds pretty good free air for right now, staying cool as cold metal even after ~45 min of nonstop playing and tones / sweeps. Side note during sweeps and tones some things fell off my desk and apartment raddled a good bit.

Packaging was good, came with a tested on date written in sharpie date was 4/4/11 got hear while I was at work. Has nice cooling compared to older models with the new cooling ring, as well the magnet boot looks good and not cheap.

Anyway on to pics.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 740
That is a BEAST! Looking forward to the review. And YES, I will be calling soon. Been really busy with baseball. Tell ya about when I call. Enjoy!!!!!!

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1986
i am excited to see what this does, and you can bet i am going to beat the hell out of it. if it lives with me it should do just fine for any one else thats not technology inept.

it may be easier to text me.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1987
well at least to start with, i am working a lot right now. but am free at nights.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16958
cool sub !

either ur really white or that cam has a really bright flash ....

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1988
both

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 533
Nice Beefy sub.
And sexy toes FTW

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1990
Well I beat on it for ~4 hours today. I have mixed feelings about it, but still like it.

so I woke up went out side with some tools and one eye open, swapped my Q for the SA, forgot how heavy the Q was... you can one arm the SA though, made me feel like less of a scronny geek.

Played with it a lot last night free airing it inside this hollow foot rest I use to hold subs while I test them to let them breath, any way off topic there. Spent the first hour or so running it through the bass mekanik 5.0, got a little smelly for about 10 min then it was fine after that. It took ~1600 watts pretty well for a 600 rms sub.

As far as sound quality goes I would call the SA "the budget / scaled down Q". But this is biased on my setup with only changing the sub's out, leavening everything the same. You can really tell the difference from my Q that has the added spider and the control that add's, but you could push on the cones of each and find that out. The SA sounds a bit "sloppy" on fast kick drums, but that could be the box or the aero ports or the fact that I have ~2.5 times the RMS power on it or the media I was using. does very well with heavy bass, though it sounds / feels like it plays higher up in the Hz range compared to the Q. fun sidefect of the swap though is that I have bass at lower vol as opposed to the Q witch didn't really seem to kick in until I was 2/3+ of the way up in my set vol range, which is nice. More flex in my car now as well which is fun for a wow factor, I still need to go hit the TL again see where it's peaking and what numbers it will put up. I also want to try inverting it to give it some extra room and see how that goes, need to check spacing to see if it is even possible. All in all I give it a 8.7 of 10 all around, More later.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1992
so having some heat issues not sure if it was my car baking in the 75F heat all day, or possibly slightly clipped signal. thinking about designing a water cooling system for the sub and maybe my amps as well. took the rubber boot off the magnet to help let some heat off, going to see how that works for now.

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 741
"not sure if it was my car baking in the 75F heat all day"
Yea, I don't feel sorry for you. It's been like 40F here at the highest. Just kidding, let us know.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1993
so yeah, may not want to put more then 1k on this sub, smokes now but still plays.

anyway i will recone it and use it for what i really bought it for. no big deal, just wanted to give a review and see how it did in my car.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3155
lol i wanna see some water cooling. did you try using a garden hose? just fill the coil gap with water

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1996
lol no that would end bad, more like Ferro-fluid like is in your tweeter to keep it cool.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 545
Wow it seems like that sub it just a piece of doodoo. It didn't hold up very long, huh? Smoking definately can't be a good sign.

I just noticed the cat in the first pic ftw

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2005
no its a great sub, just double the rms on any sub tends to kill them, and it may smoke but it still plays just fine lol. i would say it did great for a sub that has a rms of 600 watts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us