Best SQL.....with a lil humor story

Silver Member
Username: 71_chevelle

Post Number: 239
Hey everyone I'm back and almost onto my next project and need some advice from you guys. Ok for the story...I went to the two local stereo shops in town and asked them what they thought was the best SQL subwoofer. One shop told me that the best they carried was the Rockford T1. He said 10" would be better than 12" because the 10" hits two times faster than the 12"?? ummm what is he talking about not sure i understand or is that B.S.?? Is 10" better than 12" for SQL I asked about the FI Q he said oh they are good but FI is mostly SPL not SQL so you want the T1. I know he's trying to sell his product haha!! I thanked him and went to the 2nd shop. I walked in and asked him what would be better 10" or 12" sub for SQL (playing the shops against each other hahaha) he looked at me all confused and said SQL????? What's that????? I was like oh SH!T let's not do business here hahahaha i explained it to him then he said oh...well...and just regurgitated his sales pitch and i walked out hahaha. So that leaves me with my questions what was the 1st shop talking about how a 10" hits twice as fast as a 12" and 4 times as fast as a 15". And is 10" better than 12" for SQL...as for what type of music i listen to, I like all music but majority of the time is Alternative Rock, Rap/Hip-Hop, Country. I kind of have my heart set out on the FI Q 12" subs. My application is a 1974 Blazer and i plan to put 4 12" subs in there...was going to wall off with 4 15's but that was just out of my budget and i had no way of holding down the wall considering it's a full convertible. But if 10's are better I'll go with maybe like 6 10's or 4 12's you guys fill me in. I am looking at 2 SAZ-2500D amps to push the 4 12" FI Q's 2 each amp or strap the amps together not sure which way i want to go.
Thank you guys!!!

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 488
Wow, yeah he was feeding you some bull. Or maybe not cuz the faster it hits, the higher frequency it would produce, so maybe he was trying to make his shiiit speaker sound good. Yes the 12s are way better than 10s. they are the audiophile's top pick. I have heard good things about the fi Q, but I will let others advise you on subs, for they are more qualified in that area.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11787
Forget all about the shops.. you are on the right track all by yourself. But yea, that is all BS.

You really can't go wrong with any configuration of Fi Qs... they are one of the best subs out there combining SQ and output, as you are looking for. I used to have a pair of em myself.

And give us pics of the old-old body style chevy... I've wanted one of those with the convertable top since highschool. lol.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11788
Also welcome back, but beware of forum noobs that pose as experts... becoming more of a problem around here

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16868
if you want to save money wait for the crescendo amps to come out on the 28th of this month.....the amps from sundown are way over priced...even the refurbished ones

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8602
its B.s

1 hert is equal to one cycle per second..

if you bump a 30hz tone it will move 30 cycles persecond.. dont matter if its a 12 or a 10..

however.. 10 inch seems more resposive.. and less laggy.. because its cone and coil structure weight alot less than a 12 inch.. so you benefit from a nice boomier sound..

But.. it has it drawbacks.... a bigger cone can go lower than a small cone giving them the same motor assembly and structure.. so for a bigger cone is easier to pick up the lows.. but on higher frequencies i mean bass frequencies they do lag alil and dont produce that nice sound a 10 inch or even an 8 inch will produce..

a 10 inch wont hit faster than a bigger sub.. but will sound better ?? yess... will sound lower?? nope... to hit those 20hz you need some serious air to be moving.. so cone area is the key..

my set up was 12 inch phoenix golds rd's they can beat a fi 1 or btl or even an audioque hd3 in terms of loudness and quality on their given power requirements.. wich is 300 watts RMS but when going with the requirements of the other woofers lets say 1000 watts well the pgs cant handle and probably will be having a hard time so the fi qs will probably beat them.. at that power..

anyways i had 6 12's they were made for sound quality in mind.. but i wanted that nice loud effect.. i carefully tried several boxes designs' and when i got the one i wanted i asked a respectable guy (at that time) to build my box..

it was carefully designed to provide the best sound quality will making lots of air pressure on a ford explorer... it was tuned for 32hz it was my best set up i ever had.. yep it beated a re audio sx's some treo's audioques....mainstream woofers.. sound splinters... it was the best man.. i was hitting 149 db's at the dash playing young jeezy the snowman..

anyways your going with alot of subs.. your blazer is easy to get loud.. it probably peaks at around 45hz to 50hz i dont think u need that many or that power for daily driving.... or you just want to have the sickest set up on your block??

if your competing.. well go ahead..

anyways.. 2 15's will be enough..you could try some fi car audio btl's cuztomize for daily driving.. they will sound super nice..going with 5k of power will be worthless to go sound quality.. the max you could have on a sound quality is around 2.5k the rule of thump.. i had that power on my 6 12's well to be honest it was more.. around 2.8 rms benched at 12 volts..

your going with too much stuff.. did you though about electrical??? electrical upgrades are gonna get to the roof for 5k rms..

anyways good luck bro..

heres a vid of my set up if your interested..
by the way i bough the subs for around 65 bucks a piece.. haha what a steal uh???? i went to the caraudio.com meeting and i destroyed everything.. belive the thread still in there..

you see 4.. thats the design.. two are in the lower side..

it cuts out because makes my cd player vibrate ;)

Gold Member

Post Number: 8603

a lil trick..

before it was stolen ;(

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11790
don't forget the shitty

T he
C ar
A udio
B itchboy

box...

Gold Member

Post Number: 8604
shitty???? dude it was the bomb.. too bad mark potts went to cr@p by scamming people..

still he just made the box i designed it..

hate bro.. ull never have a pimp azz system like that.. you just gonna go suck some d1ck..

your a worthless piece of sh1t i was giving advice get off the thread go the the thread you made about me.. im always on your mind.. i rock.. i know ur in love with me.. too bad im a str8t mother fu.cker.. too bad.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5896
I agree. Potts made some very nice boxes until he went all shady.

Silver Member

Post Number: 240
Rock: I tried to upload a photo but my photo was twice the size limit so i will have to get back to you on that. Probably Saturday since i am leaving for the Drag races tomorrow bright an early. And thank you for the heads up on the noobs.

Rob: great Vids and great advice!! Ok that's what i figured how the difference in sub sizes worked with frequency and what not. I have a few questions for you. Going with 4 FI Q 12's at 5K rms is too much for SQ? So i could take one of the SAZ-2500 amps and power all 4 subs at 2.5k and it will be better than 5k? Yes i am awear of the power consumption and wiring needed and have planned for that in my wallet LOL. i will be running the amps at 16 Volts. As far as too much what do you mean by that? As too much speaker and power for a daily driver to comfortably listen to? Yes I know it will be loud, the bass knob will be barely turned up for daily use. I have one 12" rockford P2 ported and it gets decently loud. So to answer your question I pretty much "just want to have the sickest set up on my block" I'll up load the photo and you'll see why 4 12's should go in the truck haha not that I need it, it just fits the truck. It is also is a step up from my 2 12's I rock in my chevelle which those hit hard. Doesnt feel as hard cause i didnt port the box into the car but you'll get the idea sitting in her and standing outside which is probably better for shows any ways.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16869
skip the sundown amp and go with crescendo like i said

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
Sean: I have never heard of crescendo but that's why i come here for your guy's knowledge. I looked em up and i was amazed at the price of the old ones and what their ratings are! I think i just might have to have a 2nd thought. I am in no rush to do this as it will be a build as i get the money project haha. but that's great stuff Sean. Thank you! what crescendo amp(s) do you recomend i look at or into?

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 723
I have much for love Sundown, but I would go with the Crescendo too. I really want to see what those can do. Good luck and keep us posted.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8481
Ok....forget all the other posts in this thread.

So, you have a '74 Blazer and a $1000 budget for sub/amp. But, do you have the budget to PROPERLY support the 2-2.5K amps you want??? Hell, a single 300a alt will be ~$300-400, add batts and power cable, and you are knocking on $1000 just for the electrical system to properly support 5kwrms daily.

In that vehicle...w/ the space you have available, look into a nice 2-15 or 4-12 setup on >2000wrms. That should allow you to stay within a reasonable budget and still SLAM.
Also, a good (properly designed) 2-15 or 4-12 box will run you $300-$500....so take that into account.

As for the guy that says 10's beat faster than 12's or 15's...he is likely a moron than is just a salesman (not a box designer or installer) that only has experience w/ Chinese made subs that fail to perform properly due to moving mass,suspension or motor design. (AKA...most mainstream lines)

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 491
$1000 ?? oops, wrong thread

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
Thank you Canaan for that good advice!! Yes I have done the number crunching and total cost of ALL the speakers, wire, amps, electrical upgrades are about $5-6,000 and that's fine by me but like sean pointed out i am digging those crescendo amps so that should help lower that ball park get one of those or two at 2kwrms or one at 5k rms(looks like there will be a new one coming out at 5kwrms correct me if i am wrong tho Canaan, you are the 2nd one to say that i should run about 2kwrms to the 4 12's or 2 15's but i'm still not sure why i should run only 2-2.5kwrms when 4 12's can handle 5kwrms without distortion, therefore shouldnt the SQ be the same just be much much louder?? or will it be too loud at 5kwrms that it's just overwhelms the SQ at that point being in a blazer?? Do 2 15's sound the same as 4 12's? is that why that is a good suggestion?? just curious as to why that would be an option?? I was thinking about building the box myself, would a sealed rectangular box built with-in the recomended volume be sufficient? Should i shoot for closer to the max or min or right in the middle recomended sealed volume for the speakers?? Just trying to figure out what a properly designed box would be? and 3/4" MDF be fine to use braced??

Gold Member

Post Number: 8605
if your going with more than 2.5k rms your set up is more spl than sq... sound quality set up they dont tend to go higher than 1.5 rms... 2k rms on the most power hungry subwoofers..

dont get q's get the fi car audio BL's their the same as the q but with more output and more efficiency..they cost the same too...

evenn you will be sacrificing alil sound quality at 5krms wont be noticable.. so get the bl's i suggest 2 15's btls fully loaded but if you want quantity get the bl's and like i said that much power going with the q's you will be sacrificing output while getting no more sound quality the bl's could produce

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 314
Why do people think that if your SQ-oriented stereo goes over a certain volume than it doesn't qualify as SQ - well sure it does, it doesn't just hop & skip become SPL-oriented if it's as loud as someone else's incomparable SPL setup. You just need the mids & highs to keep up, otherwise it's too much bass to be considered SQ (I would consider it SQ because I like it that way).

You should use 1"-2" MDF with bracing (45's in the corners) and a large baffle (3-6"). Just a beast of a box for that much power.

If I had that kind of space I'd do 12 entry-ish-level 18's walled in a ported clamshell (think Blade Ice Chevy Astro/youtube), 72-96 cubes (6-8 each) @ 30 Hz. Spend like $100 per sub, and forget about the high power, alts & batts, even an AQ 2200 ($389) would do. 12 Dayton Classic 18's is $1327.92, though with an amp you'd be waayyy out of budget >.<. The Blade Ice Chevy is my win-the-lotto dream lol.

What do you mean it's convertible? The back/roof comes right off? Weird 70's vehicles, man, it's like a lifted el camino? lol.

How about 4 Audioque SDC2.5-15's walled & an Audioque 2200 for $1025? High starting sensitivity @ 96 dB.

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
Hey Rob. I dont know where you get your info but the q's and bl's are totally different. even price, bl's are $30 more. Q have a larger Mms better for SQ, have 10 mm longer excursion, when designing the sub you have high QTS options, to design the subwoofer for optimum performance in a sealed box...which is best for SQ. q's require a lost smaller box to perform in. bl have higher SPL rating for SPL. I still think they're called the Q for a reason. I agree with Lord on the theory behind a subwoofer, just because it can take more power doesnt turn it into an SPL woofer in my mind it's just louder SQ, you cant honestly say that a BTL and a Q are going to pound SPL wise the same when ran at suggested RMS. So i dont understand why under powering the subs would make them sound any better since there is no distortion with in the RMS range, they'll just be louder SQ subs. But I am not an expert very novice to SQ and SPL woofers and what ones are the best out there for your dollar. So feel free to show me with some facts that under powering is better than recomended power and or that there is no difference in under powering as if you were to use recomended RMS.

Oh Lord get your Vehicle history down. totally diff than an el camino. if you're trying to compare an el camino to something try a chevelle. exact same frame body style from headlights to end of doors then the el camino has a bed and the chevelle has a rear seat and trunk. the back half does not just come off. i said full convertible not half, half came out in 1976, i have a 1974, but like an el camino there is no seperation from cab to bed because there is no bed there's a rear seat. a Tahoe is a modern day blazer if you had to compare to something you know. full convertible means the top comes off from tail gate to windshield.

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 315
I know of the blazer and el camino, but this is the first time I've heard of a convertible SUV, that really threw me. I thought you had mad customization skillz and hacked the roof off. I googled it, and I've never seen one. Maybe in the first terminator? lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
Here's my truck. Going to paint it this summer
74 full convertible, '90 front end, '90 350 TPI engine, 700r4 trani, 4x4, 9" total lift, 38.5" tall by 16" wide tires on classic 15's. Had to use the '90 dash for the engine harness to work therefore resulting in a 1974 blazer with a check engine light capability hahaha!!! Kinda why I need 4 12's for her. LOL

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us