Final questions

Bronze Member
Username: Chevyboi

Baker, LA USA

Post Number: 66
have some final questions for my box build. I wanted to use two 8" aero ports that i was going to run through the rear deck to the box. Both ports will have to be 32 inches long which is two long. If i switch to two 6" will that be enough port area for two z 15's? I need to switch to a smaller diameter ports so they will be shorter. What are the pros/cons of doing this?

Bronze Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 88
Pro, as you already have realized, is shorter port lengths.
Con, minimizing port area can cause/increase port noise at high excursions.

As for "will that be enough port area for two z 15's" i'm not sure.

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 299
"Both ports will have to be 32 inches long which is two long". You mean "too" long, right?

What do you mean by "enough port area for 2 Z 15's?". That doesn't make sense, how would we know?

Why do you even have (I assume they're Digital Designs' Z's) 2 Z 15's without knowing what to ask in order to find out what you need to know? The DD site has recommendations, email them.

... because you didn't give us the NET space. Duh.

... and no, 2 6's aren't enough unless you're using 4.7 cubes NET (12" per cube), at the least - for lesser subs - 5.65 cubes NET (10" per cube).

Are you tuning to 25 Hz or what? SPL @ 25 Hz? Tune higher or don't bother with Z's.

Pro's - you learn something.
Con's - you choke the subs.

2 ports
7 cubes
35 Hz
8" diameter
25.75" length

1 port
7 cubes
35 Hz
12" diameter
26.75" length

Make the box bigger or tune higher.

3 ports
10 cubes
34.91 Hz
8" diameter
27.5 length
15.072" of port per cube

That would rock ^. With 2 Z 15's I'd just burp 35 Hz all day, to hell with music lol.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5906
You could easily get away with 6 sq. inches of port per cubic foot with aero ports and it would be fine. 12-16 sq inches. is a general (key word: "general") rule of thumb for slot ports. For aero's I would keep it in the 6-10 range

Dustin

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 302
Oh comon now 6 is really pushing it, imagine the power he'll be using with 2 Z's or can you model to see where port noise would occur?

Bronze Member

Baker, LA USA

Post Number: 67
@lord I will not be using dd z's I will be using the z's from sundown. I'm not a box designer and I asked so I can have it right. This will be the first ported crieff I ever had.

33d 35w 17h

For some reason I was stick on tuning low like 29-30. What's a good frequency for daily rap?

Bronze Member

Baker, LA USA

Post Number: 68
can i do three 6" ports
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us