New sub setup for a del sol

Bronze Member
Username: Hunter77

West milford, Nj United states

Post Number: 28
So im hopefully getting a del sol soon. im gonna get rid of my 15 inch alpine and my 2 12 inch apline type s that are in my jeep right now.

For the del sol im gonna make a custom box in the cabin, ill only have like 2.5 cubic feet to work with. so my idea is to get 2 jl 10 inch w3 subs. i would put those behind the seats on on each side, then in the middle of the seats i either want a 12 inch alpine type r or a jl 12 inch w6 and i will invert it so the magnet sticks out. so i need some help. i want the 2 10's to give me good sq but then for the 12 i want a little spl. jl 10's will be sealed then i dont know if i should port the 12 inch depending on what speaker you guys suggest.

a kicker zx 750.1 will push the 10's and the 12 will be powerd by an alpine mrd-m605. please help thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1139
So wait.... You want to run 2 different size subs,and 2 different brands?

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmef

Post Number: 78

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11774
Upload

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
no im asking what is my best bet for this setup

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
do some research man

Username: Sqcivic

Post Number: 9
That sounds COOL!! You should also throw in an 8" w7 in your steering wheel pointed at your mug and two 15" alpines mounted in your seat cushions firing up your a**!! YEA!! No we're talkin

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
look keep it to 1 size sub and 1 brand and build an enclosure to the specs of the sub. also jl is nice if you like to spend an arm and leg there are a lot of better/cheeper companies out there. i would sugest signing up for a cupple fourms and learn as much as u can for like a month or two then decide what you want

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16787
x2

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4856

quote:

That sounds COOL!! You should also throw in an 8" w7 in your steering wheel pointed at your mug and two 15" alpines mounted in your seat cushions firing up your a**!! YEA!! No we're talkin

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 293
I lol @ your failness.

Two different sized subs, let alone different models, will cancel eachother out enough so that you can't distinguish a frequency - 30hz sounds like 40 & 50 etc. Zero sound quality & a horrible response. If ran off the same amp, it will destroy the amp. If you're all about JL & Alpine than you don't know nearly enough to be properly using two differently sized & different models together.

Is the engine stock, and is it also powered by a diesel generator in the trunk? No? Well that's what you'd be doing by using differently sized and different model of subs... and in different boxes, wtf?

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 454
"So im hopefully getting a del sol soon" ...... first fail- I almost stopped reading, but Im glad i didn't cuz it got more interesting.

"im gonna get rid of my 15 inch alpine and my 2 12 inch apline type s"......2nd fail

"For the del sol im gonna make a custom box in the cabin, ill only have like 2.5 cubic feet to work with. so my idea is to get 2 jl 10 inch w3 subs. i would put those behind the seats on on each side, then in the middle of the seats i either want a 12 inch alpine type r or a jl 12 inch w6 and i will invert it so the magnet sticks out. so i need some help. i want the 2 10's to give me good sq but then for the 12 i want a little spl. jl 10's will be sealed then i dont know if i should port the 12 inch depending on what speaker you guys suggest. a kicker zx 750.1 will push the 10's and the 12 will be powerd by an alpine mrd-m605. please help thanks! ".............................3rd,4th,5th,6th,7th,8th,9th,10th.................. ....and FTW........11th FAIL!

Just hold in there Hunter, we will set you straight. Go one or 2 capable subs(identical subs) in the exact same box area and port set-up. the kicker 750 should do ok until you want to upgrade. forget the other amp

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1143
Dont mix and match brands/sizes of subs. Its not going to sound any better that way,only worse. If it where me,i would buy a single 12'' Fi Q or SSD and get a nice 1200wrms amp and be done with it.

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 294
X2 get a Fi SSD 15" (tune low/4-5 cubes), and an AQ 1200. Cheap & quality.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
wow alot of you guys are real a$$holes f*** all of you im just trying to learn.. thanks sean p ill look into it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
chill out man were just trying to help dont get all butt hurt we were all new at one point

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

TX

Post Number: 2209
this is why E is going downhill... a new person to the game (as we all ONCE were) has a legit question for someone being new and everyone laughs cause he doesnt know. when your new to a job and you ask what you think is a legit question and everyone laughs at you, you feel stupid and usually dont end up learning anything. there are no stupid questions when you are new to ANYTHING.

That being said, Hunter:
1. What are your goals for this sound system? (ie. SPL-all out loud, SQ-sound quality all the way, or SQL-a mix of loud and quality)
2. What is the budget you have for your goal? p.s. do not say "money is no problem" because money & effort are always a restraint
3. please do not be afraid to ask ANY question that you have, because like i said earlier, when you are new to something, there are NO dumb questions.

Welcome to Ecoustics, and dont mind the haters on here. there are a select few that will be able & willing to help you reach your goal for your sound system.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
^ i agree, this was my first fourm and when i was new i asked some questions that the answer was pretty much obviouse and nobody riddiculed me for not looking harder. everyone was real cool, respectful and mature and thats why i stuck with this one....Hunter if i offended you i apologise dude, i was trying to give you some advice

Username: Sqcivic

Post Number: 10
I apologize man.. I was trying to be funny. There is a lot of knowledgeable peeps on here, unfortunately I'm not one of them. Ill keep my stupid comments to myself

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
alright heres the deal. malib00tay i love the way my type r 15 sounds ive heard jl kicker and a couple others and for some reason i just love to crank up the volume on my 15 and let the bass rattle my brain. i havent listened to any Fi or SA or RE but ive been doing my research on them and everyone seems to like those brands.

1. i love turning heads so thats spl but also i want sq.
2. im leaning toward a 12 inch because of the limited amount of space in the new car. either ported or sealed they both sound good to me.
3. i want at least 1000 watt sub.
4. my price range would probably be $500 max for a sub.
5. also please pair an amp with what sub you suggest.

I want something that will blow my current setup away i love my music and i want to make progress of making my system better.

i trust you guys to give me the answer i need so please help me out.

also i build my own boxes my dad taught me alot of construction so at least i know how to build a box with RE calcualtor!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
fi Q 12 or fi BL 12 on an AQ1200d you wont be disapointed

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 456
x2. It's simple, relatively cheap, super strong, loud, and will fit. What kind of music do you listen to? Much screwed and chopped? Rock? Country? Classical? Jazz?

Gold Member

TX

Post Number: 2210
The thing that i see a problem with is that you want to blow your current set up away and if i am getting it right the current set up is:
1 15" type-R for sub and a zx750.1 for the amp. If that is not correct then please specify what your current set up is. I am basing this post on the 15 type r and zx750.

In order to "blow that system away" you can go with more power, more cone area (bigger sub and/or more), or a combo of both. However, you are teetering close to running your vehicles electrical system to the max or even over killing the draw from the alternator. I am not aware of how big the alt is on a del sol. so keeping the total rms of te system under 1200 is key unless you want to up the budget for a High Output alternator, Extra wiring for the Big3 upgrade (upgrading the wires from the alternator to allow more current draw), and a bigger battery or batteries. The amp that you have is underrated and puts out a plenty of power. I say keep the amp and look for 2 12" subs. Either way if you keep the amp or not, since space is limited and quality LOUD bass is desired, i would still recommend 2 12"s. Theres a common misconception that 10's are good for rock and 15" subs are only good for low notes, this is incorrect. INSTALL is KEY to any car audio goal.

If you wanted to switch everything up, the AQ 1200d suggested above is a great amp for a low cost. there are MANY MANY MANY choices of 12" subs in the 500-600rms/piece range. If you are willing to buy online or used, then the options are definately out there.

Another thing, you said you loved the sound of the 15" type-r. what type of enclosure was it in? ported/sealed? do you know the specs of the enclosure. I had 2 12"s in an xterra on 500rms total... it was LOUD and crazy because of a PROPER enclosure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
yes now i have a 15 type r with the kicker 750.1. i also have a alpine mrd 605 mono amp with 2 12 inch alpine type S.

I have all alpine type r components which sound great.

the 15 enclosure was built by me its ported 3.5 cubic feet tunned to 33 hz with RE Calculator.

I listen to all rap!

Suggestions!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
fi Q 12 or fi BL 12 on an AQ1200d you wont be disapointed

Gold Member

TX

Post Number: 2213
While i do agree that the AQ 1200d is a solid choice for your goal and application, I do not think that a single 1000rms 12" sub is right.

the jump from the zx750 to the AQ1200d isnt a HUGE step up in power. Not even double. In my opinion, you will not "hear" a huge difference of LOUD from your current set up to the AQ1200d and a single 12. The AQ1200d on a PAIR of lower rms subs is whats going to give you: MORE power and MORE cone area. Without the additions of a HO Alt, Batteries, and whatnot; I think that this would be your best option.

My Answer...
Amp: AQ1200d
Subs: 2 12" subs 500-600rms/each. Type-r's, AQ SDC2.5's, Older RE Audio SE's (i actually have 2 15" RE SE's and they are loud as crap on 1000rms), DD 1500's if a store carries them.
Once again, there are MANY subwoofers in that power range to pic from.

Are you willing to buy online? Are there audio shops in your area? if so, what brands do they carry?

Most times buying at a brick and mortar store is the more expensive way, but they will have/should have knowledge on their products. Also, they will be willing to help you later down the road god for bid you have any problems.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 465
yes, 2 subs is the way to go. If your budget limits you, get on the grind selling your speakers. Or you could keep the 15 and get another just like it,,,, but you said room would be an issue. Shouldn't be much larger than 1 15 box and 2 10 box. this is just a way to save money. If you do get subs, go with the 2 12s with dual 4 ohm coils. ppl recommend the FI Q or BTL, but I personally have never heard one. Either way, definately get the amp. You can sell a kicker amp easy anywhere, cuz ppl are awe-struck by them (noobs)... You should also consider a REFURB sundown @ http://www.db-r.com/sell/store2/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65_67

They kinda expensive still, but you can't beat em. Also, there is another thread about crescendo audio amps. It might be worthwhile to check them out. The AQ 2200 would be a good choice, just keep the gain down and you will have a BA amp with plenty of headroom.

Also, thinking back on your original post (OP), do you just want that "wow" factor that will impress ppl visually as well as audibly??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us