Enclosure came in. Rl-p installed. Pics and my review.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1529
The enclosure Dustin made me found its way here today. It was packed really well, same as my last enclosure ordered from him and looked even better in person than in the pictures he had put up. He did great work as always. For its size, the enclosure really wasn't as heavy as I was expecting. I believe he used the super lite MDF or whatever its called, which is awesome. I used 1/4" threaded rods with locking nuts and washers to connect my speaker wire for the sub. Everything is nice and air tight. The sub also fit perfectly into the flush mount hole. I sat it in there just to see how it looked before I was ready to actually install it and boy was it fun getting the sub back out Here are some pics I shot as I was getting everything hooked up:
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

The sub for right now is running on 500 rms at 1.2 ohm. For comparison, I'll be referring to the 12w7 I owned before this sub. The 12w7 was in a 2 cubic foot enclosure at 32 Hz. This enclosure is 3.5 cubes at 30 Hz. I can defintely tell a difference in the extra displacement of both the sub and the enclosure. However, even though the sub is seeing the same 500 rms the 12w7 was, the rl-p isn't as loud overall as the 12w7 was. The rl-p however is killer in the low end, more so than the 12w7 was. There isn't a ton more low end output than the 12w7 had, but its there. I plan to upgrade my alt and run a full 1k rms to this sub. when I do that I'm sure it will make the sub that much more loud and to help it shine in every aspect. Overall I'm very happy with the sub. The bass is clean and clear, even running at ~1 ohm and the bass fills the car perfectly. There is more sensation of bass filling the car than I got with the 12w7, which there again is from the increased displacements.

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1279
awesome man!
that is a great sub...makes me wish i still had mine

any more pics of the car?

Gold Member
Username: 420pimp2

Baltimore Atlantic Ci..., MD, NJ

Post Number: 1071
Its seated well in the car and looks great,looks like it was meant to be there...

Yea i'll second that Awesome Good sh.it

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3141
Nice woofer! box looks good too!

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16690
nice

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1531
It was rainy today so I'll shoot and post a video tomorrow.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1532
After slamming the system last night, I take back the sub not being as loud. Its loud, just louder lower, instead of louder higher with the w7. Pledge alligence to the swag by T.I. sounds amazing in my car, as does Weirdo by Gucci. It's pouring down the rain today, so, still no video.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1957
looks dam good

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1533
Just a quick question to make sure I have my speaker hooked up correctly. I set the gain using one side of the speaker hookups. On the Sundown amp there are 2 seperate speaker hookups, which I know bridge together reguardless being a mono block amp. However, only using one side to set the gain, is the gain still correct when I use all 4 connections, one voice coil per speaker hookup? I hope I explained that clear enough haha. Pretty much I used one channel to set the gain, yet I'm using both channels for the sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Streetlegal

Post Number: 36
as long its a mono block amp and its one channel, the 2 speaker hookups are just for convenience should be fine...

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmef

Post Number: 64
that thing looks sexy dustin is working on mine for my btl 18, im freeking geeked i cant wait

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 284
3.5 cubes... are you not choking it? Have you considered a 15" or folding the rear seats down and taking up that space because damn - 3.5 cubes is on the small side for an 18".

edit: I could have sworn I read that this was an 18" ... I'm seeing things!

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1534
Haha, nah it's a 15. 3.5 cubes was what was recommended on the SS website and seems to be good for it. I'd like to have an 18 but if I ran one, I would have to go sealed. There's no more room in the trunk of my car I'm uploading a video now on youtube so I'll post it shortly. I ran the system full tilt, seeing what all it can really do. Pretty impressive to me. Where the enclosure is still freshly made, there is sawdust on the enclosure and the rest of my trunk. Nothing major, just some fine sawdust. You'll see it in the video haha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1282
3.5 hours and the vid is still uploading?

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1535
Lol it took too long and I was heading out the door so I just left youtube up. Just got back home, here she is:

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16701
I find it hard to believe you like the jl better but this isnt the first time i heard the soundsplinter subs are really low end heavy

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1536
Well, I wouldn't say the JL was better, I'm happy with the rl-p. I will say though for a single 12, the w7 is damn close in comparison with the rl-p, even with the advantage of displacements.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24463
SS makes a VERY fine product. Glad to see it worked well for you!

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1130
Do you have the full 1500w going to it or still the 500? Seems like it sounds pretty good,and the box looks bad azz too.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5902
^^ Still the 500. I would imagine there being a big difference once you get that thing full powered.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11759
Now theres a nice system and a good install.

Upload

But, what is that small azz car it's in? lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1286
a celica, is it not?

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1537
Yeah a Toyota Celica. It's running off the SAZ 1500D at 500 rms for now. I've ran it at full tilt a couple times now and it bothers me a little haha. I'll be glad when I get a new alt in so I can crank it with no worries.

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SSAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 919
Nice choice on sub, and the box looks great.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3626
Does nobody else notice the huge a** trunk cover covering up the port?

Should notice a big difference if you let that thing breath.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 448
x2

and less rattling

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16721
x3
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums