Image Dynamics vs TC Sounds

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3402
picture this. you are in the market for a new system and there are 2 setups that really stick in your mind. either way it would be a great outcome. would you want either..

2 12" iDMax's

or

1 15" LMS 5400

same power (potentially more in the future for the lms). custom enclosure to boot. explain.

Silver Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

KY USA

Post Number: 753
IDmax ftw! Id max is one of the best sounding subs and im an atomic guy and Atomic is ID's OEM

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3405
that's what i keep hearing. it's hard to find a bad review on them. biggest problem i've seen them have is their tight tolerances cause coil rubbing, but that's not often. i've never personally experienced either sub, so it'd be nice if somebody on here has and they could shed some light on them.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16918
can comment on the 12" idmax as i do own 1 but dont own a 15" lms

a single ported 12" idmax tuned high 20s is almost unbearable , 2 wud definitely be very hard to sit in ur vehicle to listen to at full tilt

i prefer it sealed but thats just me & it can still get fairly loud sealed , have had mine metered to do 139dbs on the TL off 1000wrms , sealed wouldnt do for a basshead though ...

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 965
heres a 5400 for sale

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71171

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3406
^ i have already inquired on that

and thanks for the info Rovin.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16919
no problem ...

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 269
It's all response vs. box space, use this calculator because the 15" might be louder @ 40 hz and the 12's be +12dB @ 30 hz over the 15".

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=30

LMS motors are known for having low efficiency but when put in a sealed box the frequency response is so much lower/louder than what non-LMS subs in the same space will do, essentially it makes up for it. Some subs have similiar specs but obviously don't be as clean as a low-distortion oriented sub. They don't suffer from a lacking efficiency, so I think Eclipse made a good move with the new non-LMS SW8010/8210 series (non LMS w/ similiar specs). Same goes for the RE XXX.

Audiopulse, Eclipse, TC, Soundsplinter are all great for LMS, with the LMS Ultras obviously being the "best" choice because of the 5k 4HP coil. They also don't need a huge box, quite small actually.

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1280
Lms 5400. It will simply blow you away. Give it 4 cubes and 60 sq inches of port at 30hz

No one will believe you only have 1 sub

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3410
that's actually a contributing factor to my decision haha. it's fun having 1 driver that out performs multiple sub setups. i had that effect with my 18" Q, but the LMS would take it to a new level.

however, cone area is king. don't get me wrong, i would love to have that monster sitting in my trunk, but when it comes down to the 20hz range (which i love feeling), air displacement is a necessity.

i'm hating the decision process on this..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1281
The Xmax on the lms is over 40mm which will displace more air than the image dynamics. Xmax is also king when it comes down to the low notes

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3412
anyone care to throw some specs into BBP or something for me? i would like to see some actual numbers on the different setups..

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16722
its for sure a tough choice

Gold Member

Post Number: 1282
i modeled in winisd for 2000w at 1 ohm for both applications and basically sub 45hz, the LMS wins, over that the IDMAX takes over. Both could use more power, not sure what you have on tap. If you get more power the LMS starts to gain on the IDMAX at all frequencies and has a linear output curve (obviously lol)

boxes were 4 cu ft for the id max at 30hz
3.5 cu ft fo the lms at 30hz

Gold Member

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3413
sweet man. i appreciate it. it's amazing the lms can out perform 2 high excursion, very linear 12's in the sub 45hz range..

i'm starting from scratch so the only cap i have is how much i want to spend, really.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us