Tc sounds lms 5400 18" making into a 12" question

Silver Member
Username: Perfectcircle

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 292
I have the old red basket tc sounds lms 5400 18" 4hp sub. i'm wanting to make a 12" with the motor. would getting a direct drop in assembly be a problem. would the motor have to be modified to fit the screw holes of the 12"? or like i said would it be as easy as taking the 18" essembly off and dropping in the 12"?

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3401
tstomp at gmail.com

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 265
I don't know your goal but why do that when Audiopulse has similiar (and cheap) 1500W RMS drivers in 10's & 12's (LMS) on partsexpress? Then there's Eclipses' 750W SW8200 (LMS/TC motor) & SW8210 (non-LMS w/similiar specs), and Sound Splinters' 2000W RL-S in 12" & 15".

You want a 12" to handle 3k? Why not buy two AP LMS 10's that handle 1500W each, and put it in 3-3.846 cubes NET?

(Audiopulse LMS 10") http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-630

Modelled:

Recommended 1.5 cubes minimum:

QTC .757
FC 30.9 Hz
F3 28.99 Hz

1.923 cubes:

QTC .707
FC 28.86 Hz
F3 28.86 Hz

*BONAR*

12" modelled:

Recommended 3 cubes minimum:

QTC .8694
FC 29.98 Hz
F3 25.39 Hz

7.7 cubes:

QTC .707
FC 24.38 Hz
F3 24.38 Hz

*moar bonar*

Silver Member
Username: Perfectcircle

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 293
thatts ultimately what i'll end up doing. bought a new commuter car. the 18" wont fit, so I thought no need to not use the motor. dave at psi can make one for 150. still cheaper then buying a new sub. and it would be a nasty little 12 at that.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 425
indeed.... what does lms mean??

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 270
RMS = root mean square.

I'm guessing that LMS = linearity mean square... maybe linear motor structure but that doesn't make as much sense.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 427
loud mother sucker
lowest motherfuckinbass sound

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 271
It doesn't mean the lowest nor loudest at all... it just keeps the same motor-force at any excursion length.

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1278
Stands for Linear Motor Structure, meaning that the BL curve stays constant as the voice coil moves out of the magnetic gap. They increase the factor L, by winding more on the coil so that when the coil moves (and B decreases) L increases which yields the same motor force at all excursion levels.

In my eyes turning a 5400 motor into a 12 is a crime. Won't be much better than a set of 10" lms drivers. sell that motor for some good money and invest in different subs.

I'd buy the whole sub from you in about 3 weeks if you still have it

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1279
didnt bump

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 272
Is a crime haha.

I used an Eclipse SW8200 on 750W and when there was a constant bass line with kicks during it didn't seem to play them with the same force, it was weaker just like every other sub. Not sure if that's what it's supposed to accomplish. My XXX had more impact with kicks when the kicks were during bass lines.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us