Amps for active 3-way

Silver Member
Username: Allthingsfresh

Post Number: 163
First of all, sorry for posting this in the subwoofer section. I know some people might not mind and others will, but this section gets the most action as we all know. lol i hope the sorry covers it.. Anyways so I'm getting close to getting the Dynaudio Esotec 342 front comps to run active. And i'm hoping you guys can help me with the amps. The Dyns are 4 ohm and 200rms. I'm not sure of which are the best quality for the price though. The first 3 would be 3 amps, so i can run each tweet/midrange/midbass seperately. Then the last option would be one #3 and one#4(tweet/mid off sax125.2-midbass off sax100.4) So here is.

#1. Arc Audio KAR 400.2(200x2@2ohm) $220 each
#2. US Amps XT800.2 (200x2@2ohm) $170 each
#3. SAX-125.2 (200x2@2ohm) $250 each
#4. SAX-100.4D (100x4@4ohm) $385

If i go with the Sundowns, i could probably find them cheaper used. But i wouldn't mind spending the extra money for new. I plan on getting a Pioneer Dex-p99rs to run them active so i will use the HU for crossovers.Let me know what you think. Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16639
one suggestion ill make right away is skip those us amps you got listed....they shouldnt be allowed to still carry the us amps name

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1813
Honestly if your gonna be running active through your head unit i would keep an eye out on ebay for some older ppi art amps. They have no crossovers built in but they will give you solid clean power.

On another note i have no experience with the amps listed above but i have heard good things about arc audio and nobody really ever talks bad about sundown.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
I thought that US amps were good? But wasn't sure about the ones i had listed. Maybe only they're real expensive stuff.. Yea I know sundown pretty much does more than rated. Should i stick with 200 watts to each set, or go with a sax125 and sax100.4 and just have 100 watts to the tweet and midrange? i kinda wana do 200 each.lol maybe 3 125.2 will be good. that's about $750.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3290
I would run the mid and tweet off a four channel and the midbass off a 2 channel. Not sure why you would want 3 different amps. Oh and just b/c the set is rated for 200wrms doesnt mean each speaker in the set is rated for 200wrms. Look in to DLS they make great SQ amps

4ch
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10506_DLS-Ultimate-A4.html

2ch
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_26056_DLS-Ultimate-A2.html

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3291
And 4ohms is the final load for the set. A lot of times the tweets will be like 6ohm or something. So I would look in to that before buying amps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
I know about the 200rms thing. But headroom is good. and the amps are about what 50-70% efficient.. I did not know that was the final ohm load for them. I mean i thought they are all 4 ohm speakers and could wire each set to a 2 ohm load. Or no? i couldn't find anywhere that says the ohms for the tweet, etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
Nvm. The tweeters are 8 ohm and mid/woofer are 4 ohm. So i think my best bet is to stick with sundown. Get the 2 channel for midbass and run it at 2 ohm. Then 4 channel and run one channel at 2 ohm for the midrange and the other 4 ohm for the tweets. That should sound about right, right? lol Sorry guys this is my first try at active. I'm hoping to get a lot of help from the forums when my install comes alone, and help from friends as well. Just stacking money for the equipment i'm going to run is taking so much time. It's a long process in the making.

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3292
I dont know for sure but I would say the DLS amps are way more efficent than 50-70% Im pretty sure not all the speakers will be 4ohm but not 100% I would email Dynaudio.

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
Whoops! the Tweeter and midrange are both 8 ohm! Mistake.

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3293
Well if the tweets are 8ohm how will you run them at 4ohm on the amp? And how will you run the midbass at 2ohm if they are 4ohm speakers?

I dont think youre understnading this. If the speakers are a certain imp. thats what imp you will have to run them on the amp. You cant pick and choose what ohm load to run the amp at,that is based on what the final load is of your speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
So i can run the tweet and midrange off the 100.4 in 2 ohm stereo for 160 x 4 ... AND the midbass off the 125.2 for 2 ohm load 200x2. Sorry for multiple posts i'm going back and forth between window tabs.

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3294
"So i can run the tweet and midrange off the 100.4 in 2 ohm stereo for 160 x 4 ... AND the midbass off the 125.2 for 2 ohm load 200x2. Sorry for multiple posts i'm going back and forth between window tabs. "

No,you will have to get an amp that will power the tweets/mid range at 8ohm load. Thats the only way you can run them in stereo,at 8ohm. You cant just flip a switch on the amp and make it run at whatever imp. you want.

And if the midbass are 4ohm then no you cant do that either. Its the same for those as well. You can only run them at 4ohm.

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
Maybe i've been going about this wrong the whole time.. I've just been using the wiring diagrams from the 12 volt. 2 8 ohm speakers wire to 4 ohm load. 2 4 ohm speakers wire to 2 ohm. Wrong?

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
Damn.. I was completely confused this whole time then. Well can you recommend me 2 amps that will power these comps.? Budget of let's say no more than $1000. Thanks for the help and sorry for being a such a newb bro. I feel dumb now lol

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3295
That is true if you are wiring them together for a single wiring application,like say 2 subwoofers. But you will want to run them in stereo,meaning each speaker to each channel. You could wire them like you are talking about but then you woul be loosing your left/right fade etc.
I wouldnt run them like that. You should look for a 4 ch amp that is rated for aroun 100-200wrms at 4ohms to get what you need at 8ohms,50-100wrms should be plenty for that. And a 2ch amp that does 50-100wrms at 4ohm,if the midbass are single 4ohm VC.

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
Oh okay i understand. So the sundowns are good. I just had the whole wiring down wrong. I took the idea of wiring to an 8 ohm load because it just wasn't on the amp. lol So i can still wire them to 8. I just thought these speakers would need more than 100wrms. But maybe i'll look into a little more power than the sundowns like you said 200 at 4 ohm.

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3296
Whatever the amp does at 8ohms it will be half what it does at 4ohms. So a 100x4 @4ohm amp will do 50x4 @ 8ohms. I really wouldnt give the tweets/mid-range more that 50-75wrms,thats probably pushing it too. As for the midbass I dont see a problem with giving them 100wrms. I would choose DLS over Sundown any day of the week. If you are going with a Dynaudio component set I would keep the amps high quality too. Not talking bad about Sundown but I just dont think of them when someone says SQ or Dynaudio lol. Heres another choice for a 4ch

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_26102_DLS-X-D40.html

and matching 2ch
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_26099_DLS-X-D20.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
Okay I'm understanding more now lol but yea I feel you on the sundown sq stuff. I just figured with the amps I really wouldn't notice an audible difference.. And believe it or not I'm trying to make this the most budgetable build I can do. Aren't we all haha I shouldn't even be spending half the money I plan to. Shot prolly not even a 4th of it. But ehh I can't help it so who cares lol I'm gonna check these dls out some more

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3858
Im not trying to start anything but theres a lot more to running an active setup than buying amps, putting the speakers in, and wiring everything up. I honestly would look into running them through the crossovers unless you really know what you are doing. It will also save you money. All you need is an amp that does 250-300w x2 at 4ohm.

By reading these posts it does not look like you know enough about front staging to run an active set. If you go through with it, make sure you get a lot of help with the forums online and read as much as you can about setting up a FS. I would hate to see you fry one of these speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SoCal

Post Number: 3290
x2 Jake. If you are setting this up on a budget run them with the crossovers. This way you are down to one amp that will feed them the power you wnat. IMO.

Silver Member
Username: Denim

SSAudio.com, MD USA

Post Number: 918
New Leviathan?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us