Sealed 15"s

Bronze Member
Username: Chevyboi

Baker, LA USA

Post Number: 48
OK heres the deal I went to quite a few audio shops today to price a box for two ported 15's and the answers that i go wasnt the ones i wanted. The only shop that was willing to do the work and told me they would fit is closing for renovation. so now im looking for some 15's that would work great sealed 15's or some that will work good in a small pored enclosure. Like i said in last thread i dont have an amp yet but im purchasing my whole system Monday. the max for each sub is $400...and yea im stuck on two 15's now even though everyone is going to suggest 12's

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11722
15s and small enclosure do not go together... if you can't fit a big enough box you will get better performance using 12s in a correct size box.

As for sub that sounds good sealed: Fi Q

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1931
or just 1 15"

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11723
Yes but the dual 12s would have more cone area and therefore louder... which is I think what he wants

Bronze Member

Baker, LA USA

Post Number: 49
this is what i came up with..
height-17.5
depth-34.5
width-34
end result is 11.14930555555556

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 411
15s and small enclosure do not go together... if you can't fit a big enough box you will get better performance using 12s in a correct size box.

As for sub that sounds good sealed: Fi Q

the dual 12s would have more cone area and therefore louder... which I think is what he wants

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1514
After you take into account the wood thickness (3/4", plus a double baffle) you would have 9.7 cubic feet. You would then need to take out for displacement of the subs. Using Fi Q 15's for reference, you would have 9.32 cubic feet left. That would be if you were going sealed. Going ported you would need to consider some of that space will be used for the port and for bracing. Overall you should have enough room for two 15's ported.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11724
Wow I agree with douchebag (makinblak) for once.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2204
my RE SE's love 8cubes@32Hz....

if you have 11 cubes total, you go the room for 2 15's.

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 240
Some of these replies are lacking. I'm surprised because I'm usually the n00b.

Louder to the ear or on the TL? Having more cone area (50" - as much as an 8" driver - not much) isn't going to be the deciding factor in SPL.

I can try to design you a box for 2 ported 15's in the proper space @ 30ish Hz. I'd have to angle the baffle for more port area or have the port not on the same side as the baffle, so in which direction do you want these to fire? The port would take up about 1.5-1.75 cubes (8 NET * 12" of port per cube = 96" / 16" port height = 6" port width x about 30" depth), leaving you around 8 cubes NET. Until I know which subs you're using I can't design you a box, and nobody should be recommending air spaces either.

What are you listening to? How often? What's your response preference? What's your electrical like? What power can you afford or do you have an amp?

... and WHY has nobody asked WHAT VEHICLE?!

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 414
Good points Huggi, but I agree with Doucher up there^^^

Silver Member
Username: Allthingsfresh

Post Number: 162
Hey Lord Huggington, could you design me a box ? If so i can pm you with all the info. Let me know. Thanks

Bronze Member

Baker, LA USA

Post Number: 50
what 15" sub have the most potential im not looking for a high class spl sub or a one note wonder..i think im going to have a enclosure designed to have my subs firing into the cabin...im sorry for posting a similar question to my last i want to get all the info i can before i purchase my subs within the next week or so.

since all these subs basically require the same size enclosure (3-4 cf) no need to post that, power will be no more that 1600/per.
GOAL-loud as hell and able to take a beating daily and sound good doing it
CAR-04 impala

DC level 4XL
FI BL (4"coil & Flatwind)
Sundown Z
SA-15

Bronze Member

Baker, LA USA

Post Number: 51
@Lord Huggington as soon as i figure out what subs i'll shoot you a pm

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 244
@ Drizzy yes. It takes me like 5 minutes to design whatever. The problem with the RE calc is that it's WAY OFF! I use the 12 volt calculator, and I use an end correction of 1/2 the port width (slot-port) for accuracy. I account for the added space when using more than a 1" baffle because when using a 3" thick baffle with a 9.25" mounting cut-out you no longer have to worry about adding driver-displacement because a 9.25" x 3" hole is about .12 cubes ETC. I account for crazy 3-sided angular corner bracing too. Most people are like so what? It's .1 cubes, but .1+.1+.1 will throw off your tune. I appreciate accuracy.

I'll bet the Q's sound better than any of those, and with better frequency range (than say a BL or 4 XL), especially below port tune. They'll struggle with 1600W when listened to all of the time. If you're using 1600W per than you might as well spend $400 each on two SSA XCON 15's (1750W RMS) to be on the safe side, otherwise 1200W per Q (a 1400W amp coming out to about 1200W) would be ideal. Either XCON or keep the gains checked. The XCON is geared more towards street bass that sounds great, and the Q is fully SQ. The XCON wants a bit of a bigger box. You honestly can't go wrong with either because it's 2 15's on lots of power, you might as well get the cheaper Q's.

You'll want to foreward-fire definetly... and then duct tape around the edges for a seal... and maybe later put sound deadener all over it, and then fiberglass over all of it for a solid seal and a very audible gain that would normally be done by doubling your power. Expect 147-150's on music with 2-3.5k. Just maaaad lows too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us