Box design for two JL 12w7's

Bronze Member
Username: Glowbox

Post Number: 56
So last year I had 1 12w7 in a 2.5 cu foot box tuned to 30 hz and absoluey loved it and how it really killed the lows

Now I have a second one and they each have there own jl 1000 thry will be run off of ( and I.have all the electrical upgrades to do so)

The largest box I can fit tho will be 4.25 cubic feet for the two.

My questions are:
A- would it be better to have it a single chamber at 4.25 cu feet or make it two chambers at around 2 cu feet each? These measurements areafter the port is subtracted.

B- is 2 cu feet per sub enough airspace and will it sound as deep at the same tuning frequency as the 2.5 cu foot box?

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 547
single chamber will allow a little more airspace.
and yes 2 cu ft per sub is fine especially with the space shared.
keep the same low tuning and it will be crazy loud.
you have good alt and or batts to properly power those amps?
thats quite a bit of money invested in subs and amps. you want to make sure you can use them properly

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1855
" ( and I.have all the electrical upgrades to do so) "

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1436
Hey Mike, are you the guy from the JL Facebook page? This is Shawn, if so, who had posted on your comment. You came to the right forum

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Hey shawn! Haha yep thats me. if I do 4 cu feet single chamber would I 4" aero port be enough port area?

Silver Member

Post Number: 548
If your goal is low bass slot port will be so much more efficient than aero port
but ya a 4 inch would be ok and of course would save space

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
ya Ive always done slot ports but just dont have the room this time

If I did a slot port would about 40 sq inches of port be enough? (13.5" x 2.5")?

Silver Member

Post Number: 549
Or if you can do a single 6 in aero port that would be better
Or even better yet if you can do a slot port with 1.75 cu ft I would say that's your best bet for output and getting low and even tune a little higher like 32 to 34 that could save some space and still get very low

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
for the 1.75 cu foot box is that the total volume minus port or is that per sub, so 3.25 minus port?

Silver Member

Post Number: 550
Sorry I wasn't very clear yes 1.75 per sub that's after all displacements including subs port and bracing
So gross the box will be bigger than 3.25 cu ft it really depends on how much port you want and of course lower tuning needs more port

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Ok i see, ya that i can fit and use a slot port.

How much port area do you think i need?

Silver Member

Post Number: 551
Around 50 sq in total or if you really want the lows to be crazy 60 to 70 sq in of port. Really all depends how much you can do and fit the box

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5877
"A- would it be better to have it a single chamber at 4.25 cu feet or make it two chambers at around 2 cu feet each? These measurements areafter the port is subtracted."

If your tight on space, go with just a common chamber as dual will require a bit more volume. Depending on your vehicle and power running 4.25-4.5 cubes would work very well.

B- is 2 cu feet per sub enough airspace and will it sound as deep at the same tuning frequency as the 2.5 cu foot box?

Simple answer is yes. If you keep the tuning right around 30hz (which is perfect for W7's imo) you will still get excellent lows. Let me know if you need any help with the build or design man.

Dustin
www.DLdesignz.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Dustin would u recomend aero or slot port I may need to do aero for space and wat port area for each do u think?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5878
If space is something that you are tight on, I wouldn't look past using aero's. The downside is is that Aero's (precision ports) can get quite spendy if you are on a tight budget. But they help output ans save a ton of space.

Dustin

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1438
I had Dustin build me an enclosure for my 12w7 a while back and it was 2.0 cubic feet after all displacements tuned at 32 Hz. I was happy with the output and low end the enclosure gave me. You were running a single w7 yourself and now you're going to be running two. Doubling your displacement by running another sub is going to give you a huge increase in output. So even though the box might not be as large as you had hoped for, you're still going to have a great set up. If you're able to give the subs 1.75 cubes a piece, they should do just fine. You're also doubling your power, so that too is going to give you a big increase in output as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
I rememer seeing your box in a post it turned out sweet. Would one 4" aero be enough for a 4 cu foot box?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Ill probably use aero ports for space reasons. What would be best for a 4 cu foot box? would a single 4" be enough port area?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Anyone? Just 2 final questions.

Is a 4" aero port enough port area for a 4 cubic foot box?

And for the same box how much port area would i want if i did the slot?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
I will be doing either 2 separate chambers each with a 4" aero at 2 cubes tuned to 30hz

Or a 4 cubic foot box single chamber tuned to 30hz but what would i use for aero ports? two 4" ones or would a single 4" be ok?
Or even 3"?

Will post pictures throughout build

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1272
to be honest a single 4" aero each might not be enough

you could do a single chamber with 3 of the 4" aeros

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8452
What are the actual measurements you have to work with in-cabin to build the box?

If you go w/ a common chamber box, depending on the actual net volume the subs will actually react like they are in a larger chamber than they 'see'. Acoustics of a common chamber change slightly. For instance, your subs may react as-if they are in as much as a 15% larger chamber than the actual net volume.

Properly braced and given the same signal (strap your amps)....a common chamber can save a little space and help w/ in-cabin acoustics.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Ya the amps will be strapped and the max dimenisions are 40 wide 16 tall and 16 deep.

Silver Member
Username: Tedsprogz

Nunya, Florida US

Post Number: 127
I've always wondered if putting a wall between the subs that goes just past the basket gives a better performance...I forget where i seen that at, but it made sense to me,lol.I'd like to know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Using some box building software I have come up with these 2 boxes:

SLOT PORT
- Box is 16x16x39
- Net volume is 3.6 cu feet (single chamber)
- Slot Port is 14.5x2.5x24 (tuned to 30hz) (10.15 sq inches of port per cu foot)

AERO PORT
- Box is 17x16x38
- net vloume is 4 cu feet (single chamber)
- 6" flared aero port about 14" long to tune it to 32hz (7.05 sq" of port per foot.

Amps will be strapped

Which one would be better for SQL

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8515
find a jl audio ho box

u can get it at a dealer or try ebay

specially made for those cant beat that..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
I have Two tho and I dont want a ho I want to know which of the two I suggested would work best

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
Progress so far
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
Just waiting on the port to arrive now

Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1922
looks good

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1098
Looks pretty good man! Vid when you get it all setup?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
Just put the port in hope to have everything installed in 3 weeks when it stays a little warmer out. Definatley will have a video

Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 249
What'd that all cost you?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
For just the box? a lil under $100
« Previous Thread Next Thread »