Box Build - Dual IDQ10v3

Bronze Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 83
Just wanted to make a post showing my new box for my IDQ10v3's.

Here was the post I made regarding the design of the box: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/668434.html

Heres the build progression:
Upload
Outlining the cuts on the MDF.

Upload
Makin some cuts.

Upload
Using my makeshift circle cutting jig to route the circles out... and my buddy posing. I used a piece of acrylic to mount the jig onto and just spun it around a nail. You can see it didn't work perfectly (the small lumps in the circle) because the mounting bolts we used to mount the router to the acrylic didn't sit flush inside the acrylic.

Upload
We got a late start that day so we decided to call it that night and continue the next day.

Upload
Did some sanding of small uneven spots and glued the 45 in the port. Was going to 45 the back left but the bolts I used as speaker terminals were in the way, so I just said screw it.

Upload
Put the Hurricane/T-nuts into the box. Someone is going to have to explain to me the correct way to put these in because I ended up not using them. I used these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=081-1082 When I put them in I pre-drilled the holes, then I put a small amount of glue on the T-nut and pulled the T-nut into the hole by screwing the bolt into it slowly. They all pulled in nicely and I let them dry for a few hours. When I test fit the subs, 2 of the first 4 bolts I put in caused the T-nut to spin and pop out of place... we ended up just screwing the subs in with normal drywall screws. Someone please tell me what I did wrong.

Upload
Glued the top on.

Upload
Routed all the edges of the box. Unfortunately we didn't check if the small guide bit at the tip of the router was tightened and it actually fell off mid routing on the top edge, hence that ugly notch .

Also we didn't want to leave the speaker wires flopping in the box so we used some of that metal-foil tape that is used to seal AC ducts together. I was kinda worried that having foil all over the wires like that could cause some sort of distortion, is this ok?

Upload
Test fitting the box in my car ( '05 Mazda 3 ).

Upload
Made a mount for the AQ2200D on the top of the trunk, popped the subs in.

All in all I think it was a pretty successful first box build. Ran into a few snags here and there but it came out nicely. Tell me what you all think. Should I cover it with carpet? Suggestions on fixing that notch?

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1978
It'd sound better in the Mustang. What year is that, '83-'84?

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 665
Very nice. Now we need some videos. Are you gonna carpet it?

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1808
hope that amp doesn't fall. other then that it looks nice.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5873
You could just putty it up and sand it -- for the blowout. Nice work though man..

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 510
looks great! and very nice amp, i always like to paint my boxes instead of carpet

Silver Member
Username: Tedsprogz

Nunya, Florida US

Post Number: 122
is that an old shelby in the 2nd to the last pic? in the background?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16866
A for effort , looks good

never used those hurricane nuts b4

with T nuts u have to drill a hole same size (preferably slightly smaller) as the nut & same depth as the nut & u hammer it in gently so it fits snugly ....some ppl tighten the bolt so it seats the nut rather than hammer it in , u can google it

imho its a bit of over kill using T nuts for these subs which are not all that heavy or powerful , self thread screws wud work fine like what i use on my idmax 12"

those idq r great sounding subs & u will be happy with them ...

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1037
Nice setup, Looks good man... Vids?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
The mustang is an '82, its my friends though, we did the build at his house since he has all the tools.

Idk if I want to carpet it yet, I kinda want to do something different... I just haven't thought of anything yet. Open to suggestions though

As for the Hurricane nuts, thats exactly how we did it, except I added glue to all of them, they still fell out, we used the recommended drill hole size too, 1/4". I was't really worried about normal screws not holding the subs, I just prefer the look of the hex bolts rather than the screws. Oh well.

The only issue im having is lots of rattle from the rear deck on the lows, Im gonna see if i can stuff a towel under their at some point.

Thanks for all the positive feedback though, heres a short vid I made before I left for class today. Ill make another soon maybe, gimme suggestions on songs to play. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rliOuFkuKl4

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1810
for songs try theses.

http://gcs8.net/test/03%20In%20for%20the%20Kill%20(Skream%27s%20Let%27s%20G.m4a

http://gcs8.net/test/BASS.zip

Username: Iceroyal

Post Number: 7
hey i know that house and those cars lmao

Bronze Member
Username: Streetlegal

Post Number: 24
Nice job man, like the orientation of the subs, it looks like a cat's eye in the dark...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
Thanks for the songs, there were actually a couple in there that I was gonna play, but I couldn't find my Test-Tone CD with all my bass songs.

The orientation of the subs was gonna be even more slanted but I ran into that T-nut issue so we left the T-nuts in the box and just screwed the subs in between the existing ones. I like that slanted look too

oh and btw, Iceroyal is the owner of that Mustang and tools and such.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us