Quick Amp Question. and another Q

Silver Member
Username: Noob101

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 218
So an amp that is rated say 85 watts x 2 at 4 ohms. is that with the gain all the way up?

Wondering because my speakers are rated 110 watts rms and my amp is rated 85 and it pretty loud with the gain all the way down will me turning the amp all the way up still be under powering it?

2nd question. Are car door Speakers not the tweeters supposed to be playing vocals and audio? i know subs aren't just wasn't sure if this is harmful to the speaker woofer.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1762
na don't turn the gain all the way up, the gain should match your head unit's rca voltage. you can just set your HU's vol at the max vol you lission to it and turn the gain up tell you hear distortion then back down 1/8 of a turn or set it with a DMM and a 1000hz tone. but if its loud enough for you let it be.

also yes the door speakers will should play ~80hz-~3khz-5khz, covering the lower end of human voice and music, subs should cover 20hz-80hz.

hope that answered some of your questions.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11665
gain is not a volume control.... something a lot of people don't understand.

the gain control can attenuate but not increase volume. when it's at the point that matches the rca level from the HU thats as high as it can safely go. any higher than that does not increase volume, it DOES cause clipping.

Silver Member
Username: Noob101

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 219
Ok thank you. So my Head Unit is 5V output. how do i match that with a DMM?

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1765
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/dmmgain.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us