Which one will hit harder?

Username: Nando17

Long Island, NY

Post Number: 1
hey so im new here and total n00b at this, and i was lookin for some help

I have nothing right now, and im trying to plan out what im going to buy. I was looking at two Type R 12's, OR one Fi BL 15". Im planning on getting a Hifonics brz1700.1d, and running it at 2 ohms (1200w rms)... so does this setup sound decent? And which one, in your opinion, will be louder/more worth my money? If anyone has suggestions for better amps, just keep in mind i want to keep the amp price around or under $300. Thanks in advance!

-Alex

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11660
That would be close... the type Rs would prob win by a tad

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 280
Get the fi btl, but maybe get a 18 if you can fit it.

db-r.com for your amp. Sundown. Yes they are re-furbs but they are very nice. I have one myself and couldn't be happier. For 3oo bux you could get a very nice amp that does over rated power.

Silver Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

KY USA

Post Number: 724
i would get the two type r's they are easy to get osunding good. i would to 4.5 to 5 cubes and 34-37hz.

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 182
At 92.4 dB efficiency the BTL is the loudest followed by the BL.

I would get a SSA XCON 15 or 18 or wait until the new BTL N1 SQ sub is out.

If you're considering BTL's and Type-R's, don't and just consider the BTL's lol.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 184
These new Acoustical E?something audio subs/loud speaker drivers look crazy. Their 18" has 98.2 dB/1W efficiency, low distortion, 1000W RMS. To get the same SPL you'd need a BTL with 2500-3000W? That's all on paper though. If you're using 1200W and want the loudest/cleanest ever, you can't beat 98.2 dB/1W! +4.2 dB over a BTL with 1000W.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2605
spend a little more money on ur amp! just a little more

look at the AQ2200.
audioque.com

i am not a big fan of type Rs.... but ya... the 12s might be better for u in this case

Long Island, NY

Post Number: 2
thanks for all the responses everyone... but if you read my post im not looking at the BTL, but the BL. And dBlk, isnt that AQ2200 way too much power for 2 Type R's? I thought you just match the amp power to the combined rms wattage of the subs, correct me if im wrong lol. I'll look into these amps you guys recommended though And Huggington, what sub are you talkin bout?

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 262
lord you cant just look at sensitivity ratings and instantly know which sub will be louder, you have to factor in imp rise, power compression and a crap load other stats. plus your comparing a 1k rms to a 3k rms sub not really fair.

alex id say the type r's would prlly get a touch louder and sound a touch better but all comes down to install. for a amp youd want something a couple hundred watts more than the combined rms ratings of the subs to have some head room, better to have to much power on hand than not enough.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 196
Acoustic Elegance TH 18? There's a recent thread about the brand AE.

So a 4.2 dB gain could mean nothing once it's in a box?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16333
type rs

Silver Member

Post Number: 263
never said it didn't mean anything. theres a lot more then sensitvity spec to look at cause if what your saying is true then why doesn't everyone just go out an find the sub with the highest sensitivity an get it cause its gonna b louder no matter what? doesn't work like that in the real world sorry. do you even know what impedance rise or power compression is? cause just an fyi but doubleing the power doesn't gurantee a 3db gain everytime, maybe dealing with 1 to 2 to 4 watts but soon as you get into big power applications that goes out the window.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 198
I know what power compression is but not impendance rise. It sounds like an amp will draw more power when the speaker is excurting more, having to do with the FS... I really don't know.

I didn't notice much of a difference from 1500 to 750W and I was wondering why. Can we even hear a 3-6 dB increase/decrease?

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
ehhh not sure on what db change has to be for a human to hear think its like 4 or 5db.

Long Island, NY

Post Number: 3
Looks like ill be gettin the type R's. And they'll probably come out to cost me less as well. I'm now in search of a decent amp and a box, do prefab boxes make a huge difference compared to custom? If anyone can point me in the direction of a good prefab for two type r 12's, would be greatly appreciated thanks again

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16340
ehhh not sure on what db change has to be for a human to hear think its like 4 or 5db.

from my exp 2 db

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2609
i didn't read what every one just said...
but i can tell a 2 or 3 db gain... but its a very little gain..

anyways! get the type rs...
that aq2200 would put out a little more.. but it wont put out 2k at 2ohms im sure.... plus it will be clean power! and those type Rs will handle that easy

i think its worth it for the money

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16830
2 12 type R dual 4ohms model & a AQ 1200d = a great sounding economy system ...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16380
x2

Long Island, NY

Post Number: 4
so i would wire a AQ 2200 @2 ohms and a AQ 1200 @1 ohm?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16838
a 2200 is too much power - get the 1200 model & yes wire the [2] dual 4 ohms subs to 1 ohm ...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16423
x2

Long Island, NY

Post Number: 5
yea i think i will get the 1200d, if only just because of the huge price difference Do you think i need 1 gauge wire or 0? And at 1200w rms do you guys think i'll need electrical upgrades?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16425
0 maybe

Long Island, NY

Post Number: 6
and is this thing any good
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_20172_Ground_Shaker_XP212.aspx

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
0 gauge for 1200wrms? seems overkill. 2 ga should be more than fine aslong as its not ran a mile.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 300
4 gauge is rated to 1500 watts right? just make sure its OFC. dont get no cca crap

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16426
dont get 4 ga its max rated to 120 amps

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16427
the 0 suggestion is so if he upgrades he wont need new wire later

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 315