Volume Knob for Subs?

Username: Fabio4all

Post Number: 1
I have a 2001 base Mustang Convertible with the Mach 460 audio system stock, plus a pair of Kicker CVR 12's in a custom box. This is actually irrelevant to my question, haha.

Needless to say, the subs are loud as tits. Being a man who loves his options, I don't want to be confined to stock bass or super bass by just installing a switch on the REM lead up to the fuse box. I'd like to do that, but in addition, I was wondering if it was possible to install some sort of potentiometer on the 4 gauge power lead from the battery. To save some a quick Google search, a potentiometer is like the variable resistor knob on those dimming lights in your dining room. Essentially, I want to be able to change the volume of the subs directly from the cockpit. Yes, I have a bass control knob, but I like to keep the stock mids and woofers playing at full range, otherwise there's a large gap in the sound stage. None of the gearheads I've talked to have heard of anything like this, but it seems like it'd be pretty easy if I could find a knob with large enough terminals.

Thoughts? Done it before? Stupid idea altogether?
Thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8410
Put this in line w/ the RCA inputs on your subwoofer amp.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5260_PAC-LC1.html

Donot try to put any type of resistor on the 12v power input.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11657
^^^ do exactly what he says

I use those PAC bass level controls as well, they work great.

Bronze Member
Username: Streetlegal

Post Number: 13
Those PAC level controls work great !!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16842
nice option instead of going into ur head unit's menu ...

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3333
well it seems your question has been answered. however i think your potentiometer is more of a rheostat?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11664
doesn't matter what ya call it, it won't work... unless to goal is to fry an amp then it will work. lol.

Bronze Member
Username: Streetlegal

Post Number: 16
"doesn't matter what ya call it, it won't work... unless to goal is to fry an amp then it will
work. lol."

^x2
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us