Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 273

bout a minute in you will hear it. I then turned it down haha

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 274
I have never had a sub make that noise before. That's why I ask.

Username: Djgappa

Post Number: 2
yea its clipping hard

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 255
being played below watever the box is tuned to, notice at the end it has crazy excursion? ya its most defiantly bottoming out, but its only a l5 so its all good lmao.

Gold Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 1012
Yea,do you have your gain up to high?

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 277
Firstly, They are L7s.

Secondly, My gain is turned up 3/4 or so.

that test track brought it down to 10 Hz and I had it way up. My box is tuned to 29

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
ohhh my bad lol even though l7's still suck, but keep playing it like that eventually the surrond will just rip apart, also id bet money you bent the former so have fun when you get coil rub.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8409
Yep, those are getting non-linear. Back off on the gain and set the SSF properly.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11656
" Firstly, They are L7s. "

Found the problem.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1790
Ouch... that does not look or sound good.

Silver Member
Username: Tedsprogz

Nunya, Florida US

Post Number: 118
ur first clue should have been the 10 hz tone with a port tuned to 29...like canaan said.. turn ur sub sonic filter on and/or adjust it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8411
What is the net volume of your enclosure?

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 282
Net volume per sub without port area is ~2.6 cubes. Not totally sure.

Why do you say I will have coil rub and why do you think I bent my former?

My ssf is turned almost all the way low i think. Which way do you recommend I turn it?

And what makes you say it is not linear?

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3857
Yikes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8412
Just set your SSF to roughly your boxes tuning freq.
And don't overdrive the amp...aka don't clip it.

"Nonlinear" is pretty much the point of excursion at which the subs no longer moves in a normal linear fashion. The VC can rock and strike the pole piece and cause it to rub, which in turn causes more problems.

From the sounds I heard on your vid, you were rapping the hell out of that sub.

If you have any questions, drop by the shop some time. I give you a hand setting your amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8413
Also, w/ L7's you have to watch out for the triple joint ripping. I see about 3-4 out of 10 L7's come in the shop w/ ripped triple joints, the spiders just fail.

If you continue to push your subs that hard w/ the SSF set incorrectly, you will likely see spider/suspension failure soon.

Silver Member

Post Number: 260
nice said cannan! l7s are known to fail square subs just dont last espically beating it like you did. The former is the tube the copper wire is wraped around that noise you heard is that tube hitting the back of magnet essentially.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8415
Dustin, actually it is not the VC hitting the back plate. It is the VC hitting the pole piece. Those subs are suspension limited, so in order for the VC former to hit the back plate you would have to totally rip the triple joint.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 284
I am mean to the subs. But the strange noises before the terrible noise was my back glass. That thing wobbles like crazy. i will stop by the shop when I get over that way definately. I like the idea of some DD subs. Yall keep some in stock?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8417
Yep, ext cab back glasses rattle to hell and back. I beat the hell out of my 98 silverado at 155dB+...lol.

Dope in some time, hell email me ahead of time and I'll have my TermLab on hand to meter your truck. If your willing to stay after closing, I'll meter it for free in the bay.

I'm trying to get my little SPL team, Team Audible Insanity, back up and running here at the shop. If you show some potential as prospective local member, I'll see what I can do on some DD subs

Come hear NIckV's 150dB pair of DD2510's and my 151 daily @ 38hz

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 288
Cool man. yea my back glass is a junk-yard donor slider. the outer seal has all but worked out. I live outside of Monroe in Mer Rouge (just past Bastrop) and rarely take the beast V10 there cuz the 8-9 mpg and all. but I will make a trip soon fasho. I would love to know how loud my system is, ive never been metered. What are yalls hours?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8419
9-5:30 weekdays
9-3 sat.

Hit me w/ an email before you ride over so I can grab my TL from my apartment.

audible.insanity@gmail.com

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 179
I had a 05 RE XXX 12 on 1500W (Sunfire with stock electrical) in 2.2 @ 36, and I accidentally burped 20Hz at full volume by putting a CD in and forgetting the volume was up. I looked back, and it looked like it was going to jump out of the box but it retained its SQ lol. Excurting like I'd never seen, car off, that amp must have put out maybe 800W with a stock 90A alt? I thought for awhile that the amp put out more power for a couple seconds or 20 Hz is a hell of a lot louder to the ear than 40 Hz. Luckily this happened with a bunch of people around and I got some envious looks. It's definetly not safe though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8421
Yea, I ripped the hell out of an Adire Brahma 10" at ~20hz in a 34hz box once. Ripped the spiders off the landing platform...lol, but I really let that sub have it.

I have also been known to give DD2515's hell, but that was w/ 20kw+, no testing, a Jeezy CD and a little nudge from a teammate. On the bright side, I set a new state record w/ that run...lmao.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 289
Sweet. I actually blew both surround out with dubstep and super-glued them back. It aint janky-rigged or nothing.....

My setup does fine for 20-25 Hz. lowwer than that though, well, you saw.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8422
So you have reglued the surrounds on your L7's?

If so, that explains the noise even more. They are likely a little off-centered.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 290
yes. likely.

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 183
What happends if you play music under the port tune, is the LPF supposed to protect it 100% or is it just bad always? How do you measure over-excursion and know where to put the filter exactly? If tuned at 34 Hz, do you put the LPF to 34 Hz? I had mine at 30-35 Hz, and now that I think about it, I must of had it set to 20 Hz when it went off.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8423
Ok. I will clear up one VERY important thing.

'on paper' tuning can and will mean next to nothing 'in cabin'. Sub and port loading can determine the actual excursion far more than the 'tuning' of the box. The best way to set a SSF is to watch what freq your sub is moving too much, and set the SSF above that freq to protect it.

As for the LPF, that will be determined by the accuracy your sub can produce higher bass freq, distance to the sub from listening position, and the lowest freq your mids can produce without distorting.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 292
Thanks for that canaan I was wondering about the difference bw the two

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 186
Yeah I meant sub sonic not LPF
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums