Question about alternators...

Silver Member
Username: Thelonewolf

Post Number: 231
Just a thought, if i were to fab up a bracket to low mount a 2nd alternator, can i run my stock alternator AND a high output alternator? If so would i need the HO alt for just the audio or could i have it run to the main battery as well?

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3323
it is very possible and a good idea to do so. run the HO to a seperate stereo battery and leave the OEM dedicated to your car.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1788
I believe there are a couple different ways you can do it. I was gonna run two alts in the spring right to my entire cars charging system.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8397
Yes, running a second dedicated alt would be nice. But, I would recommend running that alt for the WHOLE audio system.

Have a dedicated batt for the second batt. Make it a completely separate circuit. Just have the stock system's 12v switched lead pop a relay for the HU's ACC. Power the HU thru the separate alt/batt to help stave off any chance of noise from the stock electrical system. Power the Hu, amps, eq, or any other audio system off the Aux electrical system.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2651
It depends on the vehicle. Some newer vehicles use a setup where the computer regulates the alt. If this is the case you'll need a switched 12v turn on for the 2nd alt and you should just run it as a second charging system.
It's better imo to run 2 alternators on everything, as they only make as much power as is needed and it can never hurt to have extra on tap.

Silver Member

Post Number: 232
I am just trying to figure out how to get enough juice to run the system I will be putting in, nothing will fit in the stock location, apparently it is a VERY common situation for subarus and people get scammed by these "HO" 140 amp alts that run no better than the stock ones, or try a fitzall and it doesn't fit without MAJOR mod...

So if I run my stock alternator which is computer controlled, I need a switched 12v turn on? I am not quite sure what that is, and should I use an isolator? will it cause a problem running 2 different amp alternators...

Thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11637
Is it possible? Absolutely. But be prepared to invest a lot of time and money in that setup.

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
oh i know itll take a bunch of time, why do you say itll take a lot of money?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11641
2nd alternator
2nd battery
extra wire
and those custom brackets

all that = not cheap

Gold Member

Post Number: 2652
Making a bracket is expensive, unless you weld up some cheap stock and put holes in it. Even then the cost to make it nice by powder coating and the parts alone become expensive. Try finding a spacer to hold the additional idler pulley(s) . Finding one in a scrap yard is possible, but difficult- mine are custom machined. You can buy spacer + pulley at a dealership for around $60, then $50 on a belt, then $20 + on wiring harness and $5+ in good fasteners. At this point you're talking $130+ just in parts, not including the actual bracket.

You may be able to splice into your factory wiring and use an additional factory alternator, but if it will match your factory pulley I would use a large case. Make/model doesn't really make a difference on an additional alternator as long as the pulley matches your belt. For example you could use a Leece-Neville which is commonly used on emergency vehicles, though extremely expensive they have great output. Look at the A0012270AA
http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_products/n_alt_results.php?item_series_id=102&seri es_name=2200
Even a GM large case would work great and be affordable- You can find $3-400 alternators all over that would do 150+ idle and 250 amps or so.
Then all the other things MS mentioned which get costly quick. A nice battery, wire, terminals, etc would easily break $300. If you managed 300, figure another 300 in the bracket if you use cheap stock. You're looking at minimum $600 before you look at the countless hours you'll invest.

Silver Member

Post Number: 236
right.. i figured i would not be doing a nice powder coat, i will be doing the welding and such a buddy of mine is a machinist so between the two of us making a bracket wont be that big a deal the big thing will be finding what belt i will work and setting the bracket accordingly, may use the kit from jc whitney and mod it some...

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1789
I think come spring im going to try to fab up a dual bracket for a honda accord motor. But well see. As stated above your electrical system gets expensive very quickly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 238
indded but when you planned on buying and alternator, wiring, batteries all in the first place... it isnt too bad just the man hours..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2656
Man hours can add up! You spend a dozen hours making one and use it and realize where it could be better, and it goes from there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
i hear ya, but i like projects and for some reason end up with a ton lol what can I say I am a gluten for punishment i guess :-P
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us