How do you wire a sub ?

Username: Gord994

Post Number: 2
hi there i have been given a jbl 1000 watt sub wit the amp already fitted to the back ! i am a complete amature at this and havnt got a clue hot to fit it? i have a peugeot 106 quiksilver and the speakers also make a fuzz noise can i replace these and if so is there anything specific i would need to get/do ?

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 137
The amp isn't fitted to the back of the sub, it's fitted to the back of a box.

What do you mean "how to fit it"? We aren't going to tell you "how" to place a box in a trunk/hatch boot, and if it's too big and/or awkward than we can only suggest a different box. Put it in your car and play around with positioning. Different positioning will affect the sound and/or response. Try placing it so that the face of the sub is closer to the rear of the car but leave atleast 6" of clearance. The direction doesn't really matter, just make sure it's tied down good so when you brake hard it doesn't take your head off.

You can do literally anything in mobile audio, it's a billion-dollar industry that's mostly custom.

Hopefully you have an aftermarket receiver that aftermarket speakers can be plugged into. Hopefully the deck (receiver/HU=Head Unit) can power speakers. If not, you'll need a component amplifier.

Lots of new cars require an adapter to use an aftermarket deck. Some are $20, some are $120.

Go to a mobile audio shop but don't let them haggle you. Ask them a few questions, like - (not that you want these things but knowing of their experience will go a long way) 1) can you make a fiberglass box? If not, they're dumbies so don't spend your money there. 2) Do I get warranties? If not, go elsewhere. If at any time they try to sell you something that you either already have or don't need - just leave. I once went into a shop carrying a 1500W, 89lbs 12" sub - they couldn't build me any kind of box, and they tried to sell me subwoofers that were obviously way worse than what I had. Horrible sales people.

Things you would want for a good stereo are:

Deck + adapter
2 speakers & 2 tweeters for the front
maybe an amp for the speakers
subwoofer + box
amp for the subwoofer
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us