Mechman or DC Power?

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1335
If you had to choose, which company would you go with for your HO alt and why? I don't have any experience with either, but imo I feel both are the best companies to choose from when it comes to a quality alt. I'm leaning more toward the DC Power, but both have the same prices versus the alts they have to offer me and both have exactly what I want/need. I'm looking at the Mechman 220 alt for $449 or the DC Power 250 alt for $489. Both will give me more amps than I would need, by far, but for $40 difference, I could happily go with either. One question I had was, if I'm running an alt that produces well more than enough amperage for what I'm running, will I have any need for a second battery or will the alt be just fine supporting the amps. I plan to run 1200 rms.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1336
I'm running an Optima red top under the hood. Big 3, 1/0 gauge through out, ground in trunk directly to the frame.

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 215
Redtops blow bigtime for sustained draw. If its still under warranty, drain it a lil and take it back, say its screwed up and get a yellow top. they are much much much better. with a redtop, if my dome lights were on for more than an hour, I couldn't start my truck. with the yellowtop, I can blast music for over an hour and still crank. With 1200 RMS do you really think you need a HO alt? Maybe just a better battery, cuz you have a starting battery. You need the deep cycle/starting yellow top. I am running 1200 RMS sundown ..stock electrical and lights dim a little at full blast. nothing unbearable. I also have a yellowtop. After I killed my wally world neverstart, hated the redtop, and am happy with this yellowtop. It is BEAST! Spend your $$ on something else IMO unless you want some serious headroom for the future

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1710
DC Power

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11616
I can't tell you which alternator is better since I have no experience with either, just to make sure to look at idle amperage, it is more important. I would get the one with more.

Now as for batteries. What you want for audio is one that can release a ton of current, lightning quick. Nothing optima makes does that... red, yellow, purple, whatever, optima is just weaksauce compared to the high end batts. Kinetik is the most popular choice, odyssey is another good one. The Diehard Platinum from sears is what I recommend to everyone for best value for the money. It is a re-branded odyssey.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 217
I don't have any experience with the sears battery and don't doubt its a good one. But if you work hard and play even harder, in and out of your vehicle, yellowTop is the way to go. Seeing how you have a pavement-pounder and are probably kind to your vehicle, you may not require the toughest battery on the planet. Go with Sears.

Username: Cw_gouner

USA

Post Number: 4
I agree with mkinblak. optima mite runyou a bit over a bill, but them others will brake your bank.. I have heard much good about optima. kinetic is defnately highend, but so is cost. and x2 on deathooop cuz i know of ppl with dc power and they dont have anythng bad to say on them

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1711
really you get what you pay for, i have learned that lesson over and over again and it finly sank in ~ a year ago.

DC power xp 270 does 183amps at idle from what i remember and have heard from friends that run them.

Kinetik or xspower or Shuriken anything over the BT80 are good and cheeper then the others, and i think the BT 100 and the BT 120 are just re branded Kinetik's.

buy good parts now and take care of them they will last longer and keep performing. look at my saz-3000D i bought off polo last year about this time, he did god knows what to them but i know he took care of the 2 he had and the 1 i got from him. i have it now its been happy and i have been babying it.

i still have ~1k-1.5k in electrical upgrades to do.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1766
I have a dc power 320 amp for a honda. I have no complaints. In fact dc told me it would be very hard to get over 250 amps out of it due to belt slip. With the gates belt they sent with the alt i was able to get 290 amps until it started to slip. There quality is excellent. Just make sure you tell them you will need the alt within a week after you buy it so they do not to take there time.

I have also used the odyssey batteries and could not be happier. However i had no idea they had they same ones at sears for a lot less of a price at the time. I had one inside that i would use to jump friends cars and such. I used to hook jumpers up to the battery the way it was. After jumping about 5 cars and sitting for over a month it was still holding at 12.9 volts, and this was far from the biggest they have. I think it was a 1750.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1337
Would I "need" a battery though if I have plenty of amps left over I'm not using? I might swing by sears this weekend and look at those batteries.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1712
yes, you need reserve power the alt does not put out full power at all times.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1339
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 445
If your gettin one of those alts, with one good battery under the hood it'll be plenty to supply power for 1200 watts. If you plan to add power you can add a battery(s) when you do. The alt may not put out full power at all times but the amp isn't going to be pulling 120 amps at all times either. I'm not saying its right or the thing you should do but alot of people run 1200 watt amps on bone stock electrical.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11617
" However i had no idea they had they same ones at sears for a lot less of a price at the time. "

Just an FYI, not all of the diehards at sears are made by odyssey... only the "Platinium"

as for makinblak:

If you think yellowtops are "the toughest battery on the planet"... well, keep dreaming is all i can say to that.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 219
ms you are from philly. you drive what? Either a Hooptie, a mini-van, or some other doodoo pavement pounder and I bet the sound system cost more than your ride. I live where tuff stuff is the norm because you either need to rely on it for a serious job or because it's the only thing that will work when the job is that tuff. Try winching a 4 ton truck stuck in the mud out with a 5 ton winch while keeping your lights and radiator fan on with your puny a.ss batteries. It won't happen. Let alone be able to bounce down the trails, go underwater, and still beat your subs at the same time. I bet you are bald headed and hate your job so you
b!tch at everyone you can on the internet cuz it makes you feel good. And we can't see your fat belly either.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11619
lol.

Keep making statements like yellow tops are the toughest battery on the planet, and it's you that everyones gonna be laughing at. Simple fact is they ain't.

I'll put my odyssey against your yellow any day, I guaran-damn-te you it's got more power. How do I know... seen that test done many times. Take a look at the top street class db drag cars (only allowed one battery) and tell me how many you find with a yellow top... should tell you something.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 220
Oh you silly city slicker, I said I don't doubt they are good batteries but you get in the woods and mud with your fancy battery, beat it up on some stumps and throw it around a bit, and then tell me what the toughest (not the most output) battery is.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3306
yessir, ain't nothin' like the ol' hit-the-battery-with-stumps-n-toss-it-in-mud-til-it-breaks test. them guy's sure is smart who thunk that routine up.

i thank they should start makin' battery cages. ain't nothin' gona bash your battery then! dern hoods don't protect nothin' these days..

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 223
HaHa you make my face laugh. I do put batteries through hell though, and that yellowTop just keeps on a kickin

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2633
Go with whichever does the most at idle- probably DC. Either company makes great products. You say you want 1200 watts now but a year or so that could change and for $40 it's worth extra power.

Username: Cw_gouner

USA

Post Number: 5
you could buy a whole lot of beer and stuff instead. and beef jerkey

Gold Member

Post Number: 1770
I'm not trying to instigate the argument but i will take my odyssey battery that has jumped 5 cars and sate for a month and put it through any test anyone wants against a yellow top any day of the week and i know the odyssey will still most likely win given the factors. I think the only test it will loose is the who can throw it the farthest test because there heavy as all hell.

I have used more optima's then i have odysseys just to throw it out there.

and yes this is including the ol' hit-the-battery-with-stumps-n-toss-it-in-mud-til-it-breaks test

They yellow tops are not bad for the price and they do beat most of the normal car batteries though.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 228
I like sears. especially craftman tools and lifetime replacement and all. What kind of warranty is on them batteries? and how much do they cost?

What have we become?? Battery long-jumps and beat-it-on-a-stump-til-it-bleeds tests are getting pretty in-depth hahaha

Gold Member

Post Number: 1773
Hahaha.. I have not personally used the diehard platinums but i did take a look at them and they are size for size and spec for spec they just don't have as many models as odyssey/stinger.

They come with 4 year free replacement or 100 month prorated. Which is very very good. I believe that is better then odyssey themselves.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 229
wow an optima has 3 yr free replacement so that is good.

Speaking of DC and Mechman, they want 600+ bucks for an ho alt to fit my truck. I cant spring that. Does anyone have experience with other, cheaper brands?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2643
Don't know if this helps any:
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/44509-can-someone-from-dc-power-c ontact-me/

Also there are lots of other better batts than yellow tops. I've seen my fair share expanded and leaking. No better quality than any other company imo, and definitely not as much power.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3308
^ wowzers @ that thread link, Troy.. i was very much looking into them for a purchase.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2645
Honestly this guys thread is one of the few I've seen about c/s issues, and everyone seems to like their product. I have heard more mixed reviews than I used to lately, but just on c/s not about product quality.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11621
" I think the only test it will loose is the who can throw it the farthest test because there heavy as all hell. "

That they are... the odyssey 1500 in my truck felt like it weighed about 2x the standard battery it replaced. It is also slightly larger but not much.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1343
I've heard about the wait to get a DC alt before, thats one thing that concerns me. I don't mind waiting for a quality product but I just don't want it to take months. That's a good chunk of money to drop to get nothing in return. I'm still debating on which alt to go with. DC also had a 180 amp alt that does 120-130 amps at idle, which is all I really need. I like the idea of having some head room, but its an extra $100 for the 250 amp alt. Then, if I spend the $489, I can spend $50 more and get their 320 amp alt. So, not sure. I guess I'll make a final decision when it comes time to buy it.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 231
M.S. is that 1500 CCA or what?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1779
I have noticed with car audio no matter what it seemed like people always want more down the road. so head room is a good thing.

What kind of vehicle will this alt be going in?

I remember i had 2 of the odyssey 1500's and one 1750 in the trunk of my acura and just the batteries lowered my cars rear end like 2 inches.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11623
PC 1500 Specs:
* 1500 cranking amps for 5 seconds
* 1280 cranking amps for 10 seconds
* 1170 cranking amps for 20 seconds
* 1100 cranking amps for 30 seconds

CCA is not a useful spec for audio applications. Or a lot of other applications really. What you want for stereos is a large current supply in bursts... the current draw by the amplifier is not constant, it spikes every time the bass hits. Short duration current, and amp hours (AH) are the best way to compare batteries.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1500series.htm

Now if i had a huge battery tray i'd have this

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc2150series.htm

Note the comparison to the best yellow top optima makes, on that page

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1354
I'm at sears. Going to look at those batteries.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1355
Alright so they had two versions. A 205 RC and a 135 RC. Would the 135 be plenty for me? How much power would it support?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1733
get the biggest one your car supports under the hood

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11627
^^^ this

The general rule is get the most powerful battery that will physically fit in your tray. For a direct drop in replacement get the same group size your car has now.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1356
I was getting one for my trunk, a second battery.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1359
What do the specs on batteries translate to in respect to how much RMS they can handle/are designed for? For example the Kinetik HC800 is $129, I think thats a good price. Its 36 AH and says it has 950 amps.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1360
Then they have the haus HC1800 with 1900 amps for $199. I'm trying to make my electrical nice and solid

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1361
Oh and as for the alt, I think I'm going to go with the DC Power 180 amp option. It does 120 - 130 amps at idle and I'm thinking that's more than enough for what I plan to run. I doubt I'll rarely run my system at full tilt so it will never be pulling off max amps anyways. Then if I add a strong battery in the trunk I feel I should be good to go. It will also do the full 180 amps at 1600 rpms and my car maintains more than that at normal cruising speeds.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1363
Alright, so I was told I should go with XS Power or Odyssey batteries. It looks like the XS Power D1200 would be good for my application. It says it can handle 1500 rms by itself or 3k as an additional battery.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 236
31 34 78 which battery size group is bigger? is the size of the battery positively correlated to size group number? or neg. correlated?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11630
no correlation... but group 31 is biggest common size

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 16196
those die hard platniums are odesseys in disguise ....good batteries

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 240
so the smaller the number, the bigger the battery?

= negative correlation like awg wire

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3600
Most of your questions can be answered by research Makinblak.

Look what a one minute search in google brought up.

http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11634
Didn't I just say there is no correlation.... reading > you

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1373
Anyone happen to know of anyone selling a XS Power battery by chance? I'm looking for a D1200 but I would go larger if the price was right.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11635
So why not get diehard (odyssey)?

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1375
I kind of got the impression that the diehard/odyssey batteries were more for the up front, main battery and the XS would work better as a supplemental. Would the diehard do just as well as a supplemental? I'd also like to find one used if possible to save some money. The two they had at sears were $199 or $269.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1787
Absolutely. and for 199 i don't think you could do much better.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11636
^^^ This

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1376
Are these good batteries? How would they compare? http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61675

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11640
They are good... made by the same company that makes odyssey, stinger is another of their brands like the diehard platiniums.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3601
Nothing wrong with Powermaster..

M.S., why don't you have more of an open mind? Pretty much all I see you recommend is what you already own.

All of the brands that everyone has listed in here is fine, just go with what you want SKD.

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 248
indeed^

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11642
" M.S., why don't you have more of an open mind? "

Well, I call it wanting the best equipment.

It's been proven by many tests that optimas are far inferior to many other batteries, so give me a good reason to ever recommend one. So I like to buy the good stuff... makes sense that I also recommend it to others...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us