Two subs wired together off one amp or two subs wire seprate off one amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Eljosh

Post Number: 31
Hey guys,
I'm planing on getting some subs soon, The Tc Sounds Epic or the TC1000. Both the same wattage and everything. But on is 4ohm and the other is 2ohm. and I would like to run them at 1 or 2 ohm. So would it better to wire the two 4 ohms together and run them off the one amp, or wire the two 2ohm ones down to 1 ohm and run them off the one amp.
Oh the amp I'm looking to get is the Audioque 1200d

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11607
There is no way to do that. You would have to use 2 amps or get matching subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
I would either get 2 of the 4ohm or 2 of the 2 ohm.

Does the impedance change if you put two subs on the one output of an amp? Like if I had two subs both wired to 1ohm, and took the positive and negative from both of them and put them directly to the amp. Would the wattage be shared between the two, and would the impedance be doubled to 2ohms?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11609
Well no, you would have to wire them in series... use this tool

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
thanks man, I didn't realize that I was describing parallel to the amp. Which would double the impedance.
I have another question is there is a difference in wattage draw between parallel and serial? Because in that other video, he said something about parallel give equal wattage to both outputs, and serial splits the wattage between the two, so each one only gets half the wattage.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11612
As long as the final ohm impedance is the same, and all subs are the same ohm coils, there is no difference.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us