Need some direction guys

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 964
I want to change things up a little... Currently running a 15'' Q 4cuft @35hz. Really, what i want is what i have now just louder. So i was thinking of maybe doing 2 15'' Qs sealed(amp would be an aq2200). Space is limited,so something around 5cuft would be as big as i could go. Another thought was maybe just stick with a single 15 that could handle more power. A guy i know has a 15'' Treo ssx that he wants to sell. Dont really know much about them but was thinking of picking that up an just running that on the aq2200. Really not sure what direction to go here. You guys have any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 228
as far as the ssx vs a q, ssx hands down spl wise and low end wise itd crush the q but sq wise ehhh would prlly be personall preference. don't know if your looking to buy new or used an your price range but a couple subs off the top of my head t3 t2000, tc 5400, dd 9100, maybe the AA smd sub or ssa xcon? lot of choices really.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 965
The ssx was just an idea that i had simply because i can get a really good deal on it. I know theres many other options. What im more intersted in is what would be the better way to go? I want to get louder but keep my sq. So would 2 15'' Qs sealed be better or should i just stick with 1 15'' ported? There really is no budget. This is something im piecing together over the next couple months. Im just trying to get an idea of which way to go here.

Btw,does anybody know what a brand new ssx goes for by chance?

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
2 15's sealed would probally be a touch louder and have better low end but honestly not much of a gain over one ported. honestly have no clue on abrand new ssx, there hard to find used let alone new.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 477
if you really want to get louder, upgrading the q to a different single sub set up, is not going to get much louder, it will a little bit, and be cool for the first week, but will get old quick and you will want more.
your probably better off going with 2 12's in a great box design, to really get more volume. i would guess that q would be around 140 to 142 on a termlab, maybe a little higher, but more than likely not.
these days its not too hard to build a solid box with 2 12's and power like that aq2200d and be around 148s. thats a pretty big gain

Silver Member

Post Number: 478
some good subs ive had great experiences getting loud with are. aq hdc's did a single 12" wired at 4 ohms off an alpine mrp-2000d so 1500 watts rms my buddy was doing 147.1 on a termlab sealed up on the dash. but that sub doesnt really plays the lows to well, nothing like a q.
ive done dd3512s and got 149.2 or something. long time ago tuned at 38 hz with 1700 or so watts
done a single 15" fi btl tuned at 34 hz tl'd at 148.7 with 2k watts thats the single stack motor
and with my 18" xcon tuned at 33 hz i did a 146.5 on a termlab sealed at the dash
ive done more set ups but havent got metered.
but i mean if me just some amateur can do some numbers like this, you can too

my favorite sub out of all those is definitely the fi btl, they actually sound good! i was so surprised at how well it hit all frequencies from 25-60 hz, no huge gaps
and my buddy has had great success with a single 15" aa mayhem on a saz 3500d. he did a 149.2 at 50hz and a 149 at 40 hz sealed up on a termlab

not sure how much you want to spend cuz that is quite a bit of money. but just lets u know that regular people here in colorado can do ok, even at the 5000 ft elevation spot

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1670
my 15" Q will do 143db even @ 46hz off of 1600 watts. but thats in a 2.8^3ft box in a trunk car with all my door panels off at the time sealed on the dash. sub up port to the driver side.

Silver Member

Post Number: 480
thats pretty good!! but ya all the builds i have done were for all trunk cars, im excited to build my system because i know have a hatch and quite a bit more space to work with

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1671
http://gcs8.net/TDP/new%20box/DSCN0645.JPG

^^^^tiny trunk^^^^

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8457
escuse me..

but i think your best option is to swap a q for a bl. make a box atleast 4cb ft with a port tuned to 36-38hz and use the audioque at 1 ohm..

going with alot bigger and more powerfull subs with a tiny trunk will make things worse..

or try a fi btl 15 with the same box because to get loud on your tiny trunk well you have this options

a good 15 inch sub with spl pontential and good power handling and good efficiency

or

2 12 inch sql type of woofers you can try 2 bls 12 inch with 5 cb ft of box (2.5cb per sub) with the audioque amp tuned at 36 hz for daily driver

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 966
I love the way my Q sounds,and im just not so sure im going to get that from a bl or btl. Numbers arent really what im after...I want something loud but that sounds amazing too. What i would really like to do is 2 15'' Qs ported but theres nowhere near enough space. Maybe, if i had a box built into the trunk i could but im not to crazy about doing that plus im not so sure that little car could handle that much weight. lol 12s are an option too,but i would basically be starting from stratch if i went that route. Which i really dont want to do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 483
2 15" fi q's with aeroports and seal off the trunk. that should get much louder and sound great!
or just do 2 12" fi q's in a big slot ported box, with a huge port, and tuned low

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 967
Btw, i got this guy down to $150 for his 15'' ssx. I checked it out,its in near mint condition tho i havent had a chance to listen to it yet. No experence with treo at all. Pretty good sub? I may just buy it for the hell of it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 237
OMG 150 for a ssx? thats a steal pick that bish up, if all else fails sell it on ebay for double that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8460
no is tiny trunk 2 15's will be alil more trouble...

i will stick with 2 12s qs 4.5cb ft and 4 inch aeroports tuned at around 34-36hz

also the bl will be significally louder but will maintain its sq it wont be too worse

you just mentioned you just want LOUDER!!

well to be honest to be LOUD has it drawbacks like loss in sq..
so its your choice get louder and lose some sq or keept it and maintain your sq....

excuse me..
the treo ssx will be LOUDER but will have much LESS sq than your Q and its alil power hungry than with your current amp

i say think about it and get the bl if not get a pair of q's or keep it

Silver Member

Post Number: 238
sq is all personal prefernce. He may love the way the ssx sounds never know. Also off that amp id say the ssx would still be louder even though it could take more power. honestly if you can get that ssx get it try it an see what you think if all else you can sell it make ur money back an maybe a little more.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16795
treo ssx is a great sounding sub , i prefer it over a dd9500 but thats just me

never used 1 but what about a single SSA xcon or IA DP 18" ...

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 972
"well to be honest to be LOUD has it drawbacks like loss in sq..
so its your choice get louder and lose some sq or keept it and maintain your sq...."

^This got me thinking. At what point do you start losing sq? I mean, say if someone is running 2 18'' Qs. Technically this would still be considered an SQ setup because of the sub? I know it would be pretty LOUD but would still sound incredible right?

Anyway...the ssx is no longer available so thats out. You snooze you lose. Should have went an got it right away.

Nobody suggests the 2 15''s sealed? I just thought that adding another 15'' sub an essentially doubling the power would give me the biggest gain even tho the box is sealed. I could be totally wrong on this tho. lol

Ive thought about trying an 18'' sub. but again.. with being limited on space im not so sure id be able to fit it. Dam these small trunks to hell!!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8476
listen 18s are not for an audiophile set up...

18 are too big their cones are way too big too slow.. also their sound is too deep..

some audiophiles use tens they are fast responsive because of their low moving mass so their easy to catch up.. however they dont tent to go lower than a 18inch woofer

12s are the most common subwoofers for an sq set up in my opinion and the opinion of others..

the 12 inch have the responsiveness of a 10 inch woofer with the low end of a 15 not too much low end but it has some and makes it a pretty good size of woofer for a sq

if i were you i swap it to a bl...

if not go with 2 12;s qs

^This got me thinking. At what point do you start losing sq? I mean, say if someone is running 2 18'' Qs. Technically this would still be considered an SQ setup because of the sub? I know it would be pretty LOUD but would still sound incredible right?

^^^^^^ just because you have an SQ woofer doesnt mean you have an SQ set up..

to have an sq you need alot of things:

tweaking the system
no cliping have full power
make the bass have a good spectrum inside the woofer
and i could go on and on..

18s are too slow they make super good LOW bass but like i said they tent to be slow

Silver Member

Post Number: 497
18s can be fine to do sq i guess, but its really what you consider sq. none of these subs can really be a transparent sub and blend in well with the music. they can do ok, but something like a morel ultimo is a true sound quality sub. focal makes some too.
with that said, my 18" sound solutions audio xcon did very well with music and being tight. listening to dire straights i swear it sounded like i had a 10" sound quality subwoofer in a sealed box, the bass was soo tight and accurate.
more so than a 12" tc sounds lms-r or re audio sx or a number of any other subs

but then with the 18 xcon if i changed the song to drake's over, the bass was insane and shook the whole car like no other.

i still recommend 2 15" q's sealed off with aeroports or 2 12" q's in a slot ported box with 16 sq in of port per cube.
i can easily give you some numbers to get a design and tuning if you give me max measurements to work with.
2 15" q's sealed really wont be a big improvement, maybe a little tighter bass, with less risk of damaging the subs, but not going to get much louder than yours now in the ported box. maybe louder on higher frequencies, really all depending on the box and the f3 it yields
but thats quite a bit more money to spend to not get the results your after

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5860
Wow Lil Rob: "listen 18s are not for an audiophile set up...

18 are too big their cones are way too big too slow.. also their sound is too deep.."

That is 100% false. You just haven't seen or heard a high quality 18". The "speed" of a driver depends on the ratio between the moving mass and the BL factor. The 18" sub below by Eighteen Sound is by no means slow. BL of over 30, 5.3" voice coil and lightweight carbon fiber cone. Trust me, it is fast.

And actually, theoretically, you could construct a subwoofer with a cone 100 feet in diameter, and if you were able to build a motor with enough strength to keep the ratio the same, it would be just as "quick" as an 8" woofer. How it would sound is another matter, but technically speaking the air would be moved at the same rate. Of course, a few other factors come into play here... like damping factor and how closely the enclosure matches the drivers ideal specs.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 8477
^^^^

correctly with enough strength

thats is why you need an audiophile set up.. we are talking about the Q

since all the sizes uses same motor so now compare the 3 sizes and you tell me wich one has the nicest sq

mrs brad if they made a 18 woofer strickly for sq and withs its motor made strickly for the weight mass of a 18 it could make a pretty good sub.. but they dont.. they make it universal to make it work on sizes from 10-18 inches..

yes that sub might have some nice sq
but you cant compare that light weight carbon fiber cone to a cone paper pulp pressed cone that is way TOO HEAVY compared to a carbon fiber

we are talking about the fi's my friend and compared to that woofer the q that cone the carbon fiber cone i believe fi uses kraft pulp cones wich are WAY too heavier than carbon fiber cones.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8478
That is 100% false

you mean 50% false since it all depends on the build quality, the motor structure,force and materials that can make a woofer a really nice sq with a really big cone..

also dude you just threw it away..

yes you can make a woofer into a 100 feet diameter and make a motor with enough strenght to keep the ration the same

WHAT?? how many watts do that will use?? a kilowatt perhaps??

i am comparing same motor with diferent size of cones...

now compare a fi q 18 with a fi q 10

which one has the fastest response???

obviously the 10 inch because both have same motor structure and same strength but the 10 inch uses a much less heavy cone and in overall makes it more responsive and far more better sq

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 16103
going with two 15 q's sealed in an ideal situation will give you 3db over one ported but doubling power but from tests we have done it can yeild only a 1 db increase real world....3db increase happens but its very rare. A single sub ported with a good step up in beefiness could yeild as much 2 db real world given the right power for the sub. Overall id say two sealed subs would be better because youd get the same or better sq and a hopefull 3 db if you double the power but no less than one but more gains throughout the frequency spectrum.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 977
The two 15'' Qs sealed is what im leaning toward. It just makes the most sense to me. Also,if at some point i get a different vehicle with more room i can put them in a ported box. My only problem would be that my current Q is d2. If i went ahead an bought another d2 do you think the aq2200 would run at .5 ohms? or would i just be better off finding an amp to run them at 2ohms? I ask cause ive heard of people running them at .5 ohms with no problems. I know i ran my aq1200 for a short time at .5 and i never had an problms. Thoughts guys?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16108
I know one member who ran one at .5 ohms and it was fine for him....your box rise should be high enough but make sure you have a good electrical system if your going to do that

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 978
Working on my electrical system next...

Ok,as for the box. What size do i want to keep it around? What would be the smallest without losing anything?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16148
Hey a heads up dc sound has amps they are releasing at pre order prices youll want those over the audioque amp....im pretty sure they are rated at 12 volts.....let me see what i can find out for you

one example i know of is they are releasing a 5k preorder for 700 bucks I think

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 980
Ok yea,thanks for the heads up. I was going to wait to order the aq2200 after xmas,but maybe I'll check one of those out instead.

As for the box? Do you think 4cuft would be to small?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16149
my bro says you have to place your order before jan and you must have at least 30% down but he said you have to call rusty at dc to find out prices...the number is on their website

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16150
go sealed 4 cubic feet for both 15's but make sure to add at least 4 pounds of polyfill total (2 lbs for each chamber) and youll be good to go...it will make the box appear larger to the subs with polyfill

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 982
Ok thanks sean. I may have to wait on checking one of those amps out tho. My wife bought me an AQ2200 for xmas. I accidentally came across an email. lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16158
haha ok
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us