New system, low power lots of space

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1265
So i have a kicker zx1500.1 hooked up and dont wanna upgrade electrically, so im looking to do a low power big build for my explorer. Have about 16-20 total cubic feet to work with.

i'm looking at either 2 18's, 4 15's or 8 12's. So far i've only looked at the lower level FI and AQ stuff.

I'll take any suggestions, most likely will be going ported, going for a good old SQL beater. Thanks for any input!

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 226
2 aa avalanche 18s ported 20cf tuned to like 25hz omg would be massive ground pounder lol. But those would be hard to find. maybe try a single 21in IA warden?

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 474
i can get you some beastly 12s for crazy cheap. email me codywruck@live.com and ill tell you how. just gotta promise me u wont tell anyone else around lol. ill only help cuz your on this forum and live in colorado. im in colorado too

Gold Member

Post Number: 1266
Really? What part? I'm up in boulder going to school at the moment. Probably gonna wait to do install over winter break, I'll email you later tonight, thanks man.

Silver Member

Post Number: 231
what motors are they cwruck? i can get some 4hp's, team rf, or shocker sig motors custom built sub to your likeing for around 350.

Silver Member

Post Number: 475
im about 90% sure they are tc9 motors, i cant bottom out the subs! lol
but i can get alot of subs brand new cheaper than 350 ill just say that.
but thanks for looking out!

Silver Member

Post Number: 232
the tc 9 is the 3hp motor right? i can possibly get those also lol not sure on price though. its great knowing mike ankey owner/creator of shocker audio has all kinds of tc sounds stuff lol. an acutally 350 for a custom built 4hp/sig/team rf motor, an coil/spiders how ever you want aint too bad of price.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1669
how much for just the 4hp motor?

Silver Member

Post Number: 476
i really dont know, i thought it was the tc9+ but i could be wrong. but ya these subs are tc9 motors, soft spiders 3 inch vc, double stack 1 inch slugs. and all carbon fiber cone and dustcap
they are really meant to be sound quality subs, but they sure do get loud, dont know the t/s paramters but i would guess the fs is in the high 20's and prob like 28mm xmax, and do well in sealed and ported enclosures.
i have many of these that im trying to make builds locally and make some extra cash.
i do 2 12's and a custom box for 250. thats total price, and 4 12s and custom box for 500. nobody can even come close to competing with me at local shops, and im sure they wouldnt like me if they knew me lol, but hey im trying to get in this business too!

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
pretty sure 3hp are triple stacked. thats a sweet deal though for 2 12's and a box.

deathoob- idk i can ask to get exact price, but a quick guess prlly like 250 plus SH, since he charges 100 bucks to recone a sub. if your seriously interrested hit me up can get all kinds of tc sounds stuff or you can go to caco and look up shocker mike i think thats his screen name there. thats mike ankey.

Silver Member

Post Number: 479
ya my tc sounds lms-r is a double stack. but man that motor is solid! surprises you when you first pick it up. i mean nothing like a dc lv 5 motor but still lol

but the great thing about them is, they get crazy low, the low note on no hands by waka is just crazy. and they get loud off like no power. 200 watts to 500 watts per sub and your banging hard.
whoever tries to say the low sensitivity on the tc sounds lms-r which is 84.5 or somethin can't get loud just looks at specs and has never heard one in person
tc sounds has to be my favorite company by far, even tho the last few times i have tried to email thilo he wont write me back!! haha i still believe in what he does tho, because he is doing it right

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
lol you know wat tc stands for? its thilo an christy his mom lol. Thilos cool knows his sh1t bout speakers but kinda werid if you acuttaly talk to him though. An his business practices are um not very good to say the least. That why mike stopped using them as a build house.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8455
hi..

i had an explorer and i can pretty know what output your going to end..

well for now i suggest 2 15 inch fi audio ssd (if you plan to upgrade your amp alil later by i dont know more than 300rms..)

or if you are 100% sure you want to keep the amp,your best choice will be 2 audioques sdc2.5
wich will be your best choice right now..

the sdc2.5 are 600 rms so thats 1200rms for both your kicker might actually give around 1550-1680 watts rms and it will the optimal power for a pair of sdc 2.5 even if its alil higher TRUST me it will sound super nice and LOUD (not competition loud but everyday listening loud) plus all the sq and the daily sounding output of the sdc2.5s

you have an explorer ill try to do a box as big as you can that do not exced no more than 5.25cb ft but more than 3.5cb so i suggest 4.75cbf each driver

top it off with some flared ports at partsexpress.com and do a crx style

have your subs firing up and your ports firing to the rear hatch door..

when you get done just listen to the pounding sound that this system will have..

theres isnt any better option right now as i can think of

Gold Member

Post Number: 8456
for the box you can tune respectably according to taste..

if your looking for killer low end whike mainting superb output the best optimal is 35-36hz

if you just want sq go for 30-32hz

if you just want LOUD bass with no need for some good sq try 38hz

Silver Member

Post Number: 236
since you got so much room have you thought about a pair of 12s but make a crazy nice box. Maybe a tline or horn or some 6th order bp variant. might wanna talk to pete from hexibase. Check his forum www.pwkdesigns.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 481
tuning sdc's at 30-32 hz is not going to have great results..
ryan is gonna break 150 db off a stock electrical, and with way less money spent than people normally spend just on batteries to get that loud
meaning his system is going to be very cheap and pound. im sure pics will posted when its all said and done

Gold Member

Post Number: 1267
Cody wruck is hooking me up, 6 12's and a big old port for a great price. Those subs are some sexy looking blacked out monsters! Cant wait for the box

Gold Member

Post Number: 8461
cwruck

i hope your know what your saying and doing..

i had six 12s on my explorer as well and low power subs pgs i did 149 on music at the tl dash wtih 2000 watts rms at 1.33 ohms

in my opinion i will stick the a pair of sdc2.5s 15s on a big box at 36hz-38hz but is up to you

Silver Member

Post Number: 485
i do i have used sdc's they are great and i recommend them all the time! but they can't compare to these subs. these subs have a 3" vc and are low end monsters, going to tune at 31 hz, hence the huge port thats around 230 sq in. the sdc's can't do well with a box tuned as low as 31 hz

i have had great success with these subs tuning low with huge ports, rediculous lows, plus wiring them all up they should sit around 2.2 ohms or so. so he wont have to worry about power.
they aren't some cheap duals or something lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 8463
so because your saying they have bigger coils their low end monsters and are far better because of bigger coil??

well for me the bigger the coil the higher the power handling and the lower the efficiency..

you need to find the perfect sub for your application not just looking for the biggest stuff...

the sdc cant do much at 30-31 yez but they can keep up nicely and from 36-38hz their good lil monster for the price..

the resonance frequency of the explorer is alil high... well more than high compared to other cars..is easy to get loud..

your gonna throw 6 12 inch 3 inch voice coils subs to a kicker kx1500.1???you will be under powering them

and the sdcs will be playing at its full potential

just saying think what your doing and what your making the dude do.. make sure is the right way..

no offense..

to be honest

Silver Member

Post Number: 486
not sure why your trying to fight with me like i dont know what im saying.
3 inch voice coil has the cabability to get loud and high power handling
if you don't know, which i know you don't, i have used these subs and done different builds with them for people..
i have also worked with 12" and 10" aq sdc's and i know what they are capable of.

but if you must know with 2 of these subs ryan is going to be using, i did a build for a 2004 jetta. 3.6 cu ft net with 81 sq in of port. and metered a 145.2 on music with 410 watts clamped. that is with a termlab sealed up at the dash

the only reason i am doing this for ryan is because he posts on this forum, and he is local to me here in colorado, and i have the ability to hook him up with a great deal, trust me the cost is much much lower than anyone could expect
if he wasn't local i would just suggest some subs like aq sdc's as you have.
plus with these subs in the future if he ever decides to upgrade power, they could easily handle 7000 watts without having to do a whole new install

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1760
"metered a 145.2 on music with 410 watts clamped"

Thats an extremely nice score for so little power can i ask what amp and also what kind of box?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8464
i know my friend im not trying to fight just to let you know..

well 2 will do good..

but this is what ryan said

Cody wruck is hooking me up, 6 12's and a big old port for a great price. Those subs are some sexy looking blacked out monsters! Cant wait for the box

he said he will be using 6 12s and the you top it off with their 3 inch voice coil i think thats alil too much for the amp since you will never be powering them at even their half potential..

however using 2-4 might do the trick im leaning towards 2 since i owned an explorer and i experienced alot of set up in that vehicle with power ranging from 200 watts rms to 5000 watts rms for power for each set up.

may i know the brand and model number of your x subs?? or are they custom made??? some motor type in particular??

one thing like you said you just said:
"plus with these subs in the future if he ever decides to upgrade power, they could easily handle 7000 watts without having to do a whole new install"

so your saying instead of 7000 watts?? he will be using 1500 rms?? i think thats a BIG way of underpowering them..

however using 2 you will need at least 2.2k rms of powering to have them move to their optimal potential since you said the 6 subs handle 7000 rms so divided by 7 thats around 1,166 rms for each sub

even with that i dont think they will be moving pretty good as the sdc

but since your giving him a pretty good deal onn your x subs well is up to him

im not trying to bash you or fight with you im just curious of what your saying like i dont really think it will work using 6 subs with 1500 rms is pretty dumb in my opinion but maybe using 2 will be fine but you will be underpowering them with the lil info you just gave me

Gold Member

Post Number: 8468
fu.ck.. i did 149 with 6 12s on 2960 rms of power..and i aint complaining

what i think i did wrong??

oh yes it was on music at the dash, and the TL and is a daily set up i never expected to reach 150 and yes it never did haha no worries it was a sql system not a spl.

anyways yeah

if you did that score with just 1 sub with 410 rms you should enter some spl competition maybe set some records

Gold Member

Post Number: 8469
but anyways is your decition im sorry if i offended you or tried to think i was fighting with you..

like i always said its his money and your deal is his stuff..

i just wish good luck to you two and make a good pounding sound.. and when you done please post pics and videos we want to see the awesomeness of the future 6 12s 3 inch voice coil 7k rms of power subwoofer on a kicket kx1500.1

good luck dudes ill be checking for the update on his new system..

au revoir

Silver Member

Post Number: 487
did it with a jbl amp, and its a 4th order design, just built things the way they are supposed to be built. right amount of port area, hear no port noise at all, rounded off all edges, 45ed the corners. braced it good, so no flex from box. i used liquid nails to seal it up, i like liquid nails the most for sealing up. really didnt need to seal because the cuts were dead on and everything fit perfectly. but of course did just to be safe. and filled it up with a little foam.
the box is seriously solid and im getting quite good with 4th orders and designing them. gonna do a 6th order bandpass soon, see what kind of results i get. hopefully crazy loud for the meter

the subs are custom built from tc 9 motors
they are extremely efficient in a great box design, and i have trust in them, because i have tc sounds lms-r's and with a great box design they get crazy loud off 400 watts, and only get better as you raise power. but knowing this if you have a bunch with low power, they can almost reach their maximum loudness per sub, and there's no need to go with huge power to get these loud

as long as gains are set correctly and there's never any clipping going on, with the small power they will be just fine

honestly with those 2 that did a 145 off such little power, could get a little bit louder off double the power. but i would rather just use 2 more subs to have a total of 4 and run 800 watts. i guarantee that set up would meter louder, and the subs will have no strain on them at all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 488
going to compete this year, ill bassrace 149.9 with 4 12s and 2200 watts or so. and prob compete in the 0-2200 class
but im not really into going all out, tuning boxes at 60 hz, and doing all the crazy things people do to get loud.
my build is going to be a little funny. it will be loud, but im going to be running dls comps, with a dls amp powering them, so when i want to enjoy the music i can just turn down the bass and enjoy it.

there's some crazy records out there, like a guy here in colorado has the 0-1000 trunk record with a 155.6 or something like that, but that usaci
i do ok, me and my buddy have built some nice set ups that have metered well, but im far from having the knowledge to put together a record setting build!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8471
well i said some records on your single sub set up we do want to see the power of liquid nails haha

anyways yeah i had some tc 9 subs they actually pretty good subs BUT still i suggest using no more than 2 tc 9

but anyways is his money he can do whatever he wants im just saying that his best set up for the money and FOR that particular amp SINCE he posted that he did NOT wanted to upgrade amp later hes best bet was the sdc but if hes choice is the the six twelves well is his choice

Silver Member

Post Number: 489
that 145 was with 2 of the 12's not 1. so basically they are doing extremely well with 205 watts to each sub
still far from record setting!!
i have seen a guy who has done like 152s with a single 10" with small power its just absolutely crazy

and im gonna be building 2 12's for a guy in a honda crx. im excited to see what kind of numbers that will put up

Gold Member

Post Number: 8472
2 12s?? good power?? nice box?? AND a CRX

150+

anyways god look still my opinion wont change on the sdc's

Silver Member

Post Number: 506
alright ryan lets see some vids! i know your system is straight nasty crazy loud! haha

Silver Member
Username: Lord_huggington

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 139
I would use 4 Dayton Classic (DCS-450-4) 18's in a ported wall.

300W RMS each
Single voice coil 4 ohm only - 4 of them wires into 1 ohm
91 dB efficiency
About $100 each from partsexpress

If your amp is 1500W @ 1 ohm, it'll put out around 1200W total because of the efficiency (1500 * .8 = 1200). If you aren't upgrading the power, this should be the loudest possible setup with pretty damn good SQ.

If you're going for SQ, I would use one 12" sealed between the front seats.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3078
How much would you sell some of these tc-9's for + shipping? if they are dual 1" slugs thats tc9+. extended pole pieces? what style basket? what diameter and material are the spiders, linear or progressive? coil specs? what would you rate them thermal power?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 3079
To the op, have you looked into any DC sound labs stuff? theres another new company called Atmos audio, check them out and see what they have to offer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us