Box help/ thoughts

Silver Member
Username: Thelonewolf

Post Number: 170
ok so the biggest outside dimentions i can get to get the box to slide into my trunk is 35.25WidthX13.5HeightX23Depth=4.64692 Cubic feet (with 1in MDF) before driver and port. An ideas how i can get a bigger box into my car? It is a 2003 subaru legacy sedan L. The trunk has a ton of extra space but the opening of the trunk is kinda small... I was looking at a 18" Fi Q... If anyone has any thoughts please let me know!

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5840
Why are you using 1" MDF? way overkill. To answer your question, use 3/4" mdf and that should get you some more internal volume.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5841
to also save some space I would use aero ports.

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
Thanks, Dustin I do plan to have you do the box just trying to figure it out to get it to fit and with most amount of volume possible, not sure i can go with an 18... unless i buy the car i am looking at then, itll be nice...

Gold Member

Post Number: 5844
It doesn't look like you will have enough room for an 18. You could probably squeeze in a 15 if you used aero's.

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 203
do your rear seats fold down? i know when i was trying to get the shocker 12 and box in my car it was a lot easier when i just folded down the back seats put the box in and slid it back into the trunk. just a thought. to get more box cf only thing i know is adding pollyfill and then that adds very little.

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
yea, seats do not fold down...i "could" build a fiber box in place... but if i ever sold the car the box would need to be cut into pieces... hmm... things to consider... I know i can fit a 15 and that would be "plenty"... Screw it I may just buy a new car... i was looking at a forester anyway... still need to find an alternator or come up with a way to mount another or 2... Stock alternators are cheap for my car :-D and the one I am looking at...

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 426
considering your seats dont fold down, i will say you will be extremely extremely dissapointed putting an 18 in your car.
first off. your measurements are going to give you like 3.5 to 4 cu ft at the most after all displacements. which is very small for an 18 like that.
the only 18's i can think of that do well in that small of space is sundown audio and t3 audio but i have no actual first hand experience with a box that small for an 18.

next reason you would be disappointed is, considering your seats dont fold down, your not going to hear much bass, and if the box is taking up the whole trunk expect all the bass to stay in the trunk.
in other words your trunk will look like its about to explode, but sitting in your car is going to be laughable at how quiet it is.
best bet is 10's or 12s honestly.
i say effiencent box design over higher cone area

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
uhh not really, I will be doing the rear deck so that the bass will pass through and it has a center pass through in the seats so a small portion will fold down but not enough to get a box in... and the box wont take up the whole trunk, but the opening is too small to allow a good box in... get it? I "could" do a lot bigger box up to about 11 cubes as the trunks is 12.4 or something of the like

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 206
build box in the trunk.

Silver Member
Username: Canaanwhite

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 232
you can do a long narrow box....

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15816
not the ideal shape but you can do it

Silver Member
Username: Makinblak

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 127
build the box with hinges on the corners, fold it down, put it in the trunk, attach hinges to their mate, liquinail seems, and voilla! Dont forget about the port walls. It's kinda tricky getting hinges on them

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
ok revisiting this... not yet sure what I will do, I will be cutting up come boxes and mock ups to see the biggest I can actually fit in the opening without forcing it.. I may be able to go quite a bit bigger if i take the fake floor out to get the box in and replacing it after after the box is in... or making a box in place(urg) I could get the pieces in and then assemble... yeah that sounds like a ton of fun...

I will figure it out and i am slowly acquiring all the bits I will need for the install... I have CDT EF-61CFi/25 components which I will be either modifying the stock location so that I may point them where I would like as well as adding the tweeter or making Pods. I ordered a SAX-100.4, just couldn't pass up the refurb deal, was going to wait and grab a 200.4 but the deal was too good.

I need cable, batteries(open to suggestions), an alternator (prob going to make a bracket and to mount it low and keep my stock alternator using this only strictly for my audio), deadener(may try a home brew deal Henry Solarflex 287SF with maybe some micro spheres mixed in) a head unit (probably the Pioneer DEH-P7200HD), an amp for my sub(looking at a few) and a sub, be it a 15 ported, 2 15's sealed(separate boxes to get them in) or an 18 if i can make it work... I am thinking I will stick with the Fi Q..

Any thoughts, ideas, additions?

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
anyone?

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1332
Years ago I had the same type of issue with having space issues with my trunk opening. I had bought a pair of twelves in a sealed enclosure but had no way of getting the box in my trunk. I ended up taking the back seats completely out of the car, then cutting the frame where the seats bolted to. Then I bent up the sheet metal until I had enough clearance and put everything back the way it was. I had to do it all over again when I took them out haha.

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
I was considering taking the seats out and cutting the sheet metal and rear deck(probably putting in a MDF rear deck anyway) and just welding in some supports or welding it after the fact to re secure everything once the box is in, need to have time to take measurements... not sure the door hole are big enough and not that willing to cut my car apart and weld it beck together...

i didnt end up buying the forester I was looking at, however i have been considering making a summer car... something along the lines of an ariel atom on powered by 2(maybe turbo) hayabusa engines and enclosed with a hard convertible top... then I could do what ever I want... i just dont know if i have time and energy for another project lol... I have a motor floater(powered glider) in the works right now and some others...
3 motorcycles in various stages of running and needing various things
starting a business this spring
on the board of directors of a 501C3 Non profit
work full time
dj and pro sound stuff on the side
run a youth group of inner city kids
computer repair on the side
planing this build for my car, including the interior...
girlfriend
looking into buying land and building a log cabin

so that project may get put on the back burner for a lil while... and i do want something in my car...

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 211
You got a lot going on man! That's what has been holding me back with school and all. Are you a mechanic of sorts? cuz I just wrecked a 2001 Harley Sportster 1200 and still have the engine. its in perfect shape, and i am rolling around ideas what I want to put the motor on. Leaning towards a polaris RZR

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
sell the engine... junk... I am not a school mech but i have been working on thing with engines since i was a little(well as small as i ever was, I was a big kid 180 in 3rd grade and tallest in class!) when i was 13 i had dialed in a 5hp go cart that with me(a big dude) i could hit 36 mph it was not a shifter cart either...

I dabble in a bunch of things...

if you are still thinking of keeping that piece of crap engine I would take it have it machined and shrink ported(velocity ports) change out the rods, pistons, bore it, hyper charger, jet and custom exhaust and make yourself a street legal enclosed trike..

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 212
F that haha. I couldn't think of anything I would less like to do with it. That is a very strong motor, It will hit 120 daily and nothing sounds better. Vinci pipes or something like that. I will either put the motor on a Polaris RZR or a go-kart with huge mud tires. My only concern is the Harley transmission. Not sure the clutches will hold all that weight behind all that tourque. O I didn't mention it's a screaming eagle Hog.

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
Harley motors are junk, you couldnt give me one. I hate them more than anything... over heating issues, broken rods, oil circulation problems... forget that crap... my little 800 can eat harleys for breakfast and spit out the bad parts... and im a BIG guy...

Silver Member

Monroe/Monticello, La/Ar

Post Number: 218
I have heard that the older harleys broke down all the time, then they stepped up their game to produce a reliable motor. That sportster could shame a 2008 mustang gt until I hit about 125 and let it catch up. Maybe you just have bad luck with them. They are not high-revving rice burners, they are brute-force tourque monsters if you want that cool factor. Agree to disagree I guess.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
my 800 is not a high rev rice burner she is a torque monster as well... made by suzuki true enough, v twin not many around... the vx800... aside from minor suspension issues i have had, one of my fav bikes... I just do not like harleys at all to make any real power out of them you need to spend way too much and reliability plays a factor then... to each their own...

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
guess no one has input for me?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us