Comp on Sunday Opinions /Ideas wanted

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1732
Alright Guys This Sunday There is a competition being Hosted by nespl. For those that remember my last install, i have taken all of my equipment out of my Acura integra. Unfortunately i didn't get to make it to any comps this summer.

Anyway i decided to throw a box together for one HDC315 in my 95 impreza coupe. I have no experience on a meter so i dont really know any of the tricks or trades that people do when metering there cars.

My main dilemma is deciding what class i should go in. As of now i made a box that is about 3 cubes after sub/port displacement. If i remember correctly its a little over 4 cubes total with a 5 inch slot port that's 18 inches long. Its tuned to 40hz. This is going to be powered by an old ppi art 1200.2. Originally i planned to use frequencies but if i do that i would be in a 5k watt class. Any of the lower classes i will have to play music.

I dont know if it matters but since i couldn't find the resonance frequency of my car with a meter I measured where my sub would be and where the mic would be and after doing out the math a 44hz tone would be at a quarter of a sound wave where the mic would be.

I planned to fire the sub and port into the cabin but im open to all idea's. As i said i have no access to a meter for testing. After hooking up the sub and playing it at full tilt with a Odyssey pc1750 my voltage stays at about 12.7. I know its a nice amp but i have no idea if it will really push any more the 1200 watts.

As i said the competition is Sunday. I will try to post pics a little later on tonight. Basically im trying to hit the highest score i can. With the sub firing into the cabin it doesn't sound the greatest on music possible because of cancellation.

Please don't be afraid to chime in all opinions and ideas are welcomed. I especially want to hear what everyone has to say due to my lack of experience on the whole competition side.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1733
Upload
Upload
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11524
I wants ur amp... (the PPI art)

Actually that whole system is good stuff.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 903
Joe,do you know the measurements of that box off hand? Im trying to do something similar in my car,just curious.

Very nice amp,btw!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1734
I absolutely love the amp. I won it on ebay some time ago. Usually i use it for the mids or highs but i will tell you it really puts a toll on the aq. I wish i had a way to find out if it puts out more the 1200 watts.

Honestly i think due to the higher tuning it sounds crappy. Unless the port is to big. I haven't experimented with many boxes so i dont know why it sounds they way it does.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1735
Well for anyone interested before i ran i partially sealed my trunk off from the cabin using two pillows. On my first run i played music because i had no tones nor did i know what my car peaked at. Playing lil jon throw it up i hit 142.2 at 49.9hz On my second run i experimented with a tone cd but i didn't know what tones i was playing at because my clarion drx9255 only reads track numbers. Anyway the second run i did a 142.5 and im not sure what frequency it was at. I ended placing 1st in woofer cooker 1.

Overall i was happy because i was only expecting to hit around 140db. Also there was a lot of people with 2k plus that didn't even score as high as myself. I think 142 is a respectable score for one 15 on 1200 watts in a trunk car.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15731
that is a good score for a trunk car.....congrads

Gold Member

Post Number: 1736
Thanks..

Bronze Member
Username: A_lopez

Denver, Colorado Usa

Post Number: 19
last weekend i went to spl comps and i don't know how but i was lucky and i won 1st place low end monster with 6 15's i hit 147.5 and with my konaki 1507 i did 146.4 but making too much mistakes so i hope next year i got more experience

Silver Member
Username: Canaanwhite

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 106
nice going

Gold Member

Post Number: 1739
My buddy hit a 147.8 with 6 15's. I believe he only had around 1500 watts. Luckily for me he was in a higher class.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 117
yeah that would've sucked going against his setup

Gold Member

Post Number: 1751
Well he had a 3k watt amp but i don't know if the electrical was supporting it.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 276
it should've been power class rated anyway to keep it fair

Gold Member

Post Number: 1752
I believe there was three classes at 5000 watts. They were separated by cone area. Then of course there were the rookie and pro classes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us