Type X aero port

Bronze Member
Username: Glowbox

Post Number: 38
Ive built many boxes before and know how to calculate slot ports but not aero ports

I plan on putting an alpine type X in either a 2 cubic foot box or a 2.5 cubic foot box

Could someone help me out with what size (diameter, length, and how many) aeroports i need for it to be tuned at 28hz

For a 2ft3 box and 2.5ft3 box?

Also are they better than slot ports?

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1257
psp has a calculator made specifically to work with their aeroports
http://www.psp-inc.com/tools.html

and you can purchase the aeros from parts express
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=143

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8353
Slot vs aero totally dependent on your build.

You can usually get away w/ less port area when using flared/aero ports. The flare helps to couple the air flow and cut down on turbulence. By allowing for smaller port area, you also allow for shorter port lengths to give the same 'tuning'. This lets you build a smaller box.

But, you tend to have more of a abrupt 'tuning' w/ aero ports. Slot ports do not actually tune to a given freq. You see, the wall of the box that extends past the 'vent' acts as an extended length on the vent. It is commonly considered that 1/2 the port width from a slot port acts as the actual port length.

For instance...say you have a 10"t x 4.5"w port and the 'built' port wall is 28" long in a 2.5cuft net chamber. That should 'tune' to ~38hz, but since one wall of the vent extents past the 'built' vent ending, it will react more like a the port is ~30.25" long and tune ~1 or 2hz lower than originally calculated.

Slot vents also allow for built in box bracing, but larger displacments. So, all in all its give and take.

If you have the space, I usually go slot vent.
If space is at a premium, I opt to aero ports.

But as for your design. If you want to do a aero, try 2cuft w/ 1-4" aero 19-20" long.
IIRC, the stock length of a PSP 4" port is 18". So ~2.15cuft net box w/ a stock length port will simplify things and give you the on-paper tuning you are looking for.

In-vehicle tuning will be a totally different story.
But that is better left to a latter rant.

Bronze Member
Username: Canaanwhite

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 78
you'll need a 4" aero port 24" long for either box if you want to tune it that low

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Would one 4" aero port be enough port area?

Bronze Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 98
Sorry I calculated wrong .....for a 2cuft box you'll need a 4" round port 18.67" long in a 2.5cuft box you'll need a 4" port 14.35" long so each will be tuned at 28hz...I hope this helps

Bronze Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 99
and all you need is one for either box....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
ok thanks thats exactly what i was lloking for

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 101
yw...

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 107
I was researching the ports more...a 4" port is only 12.5sq inches....but by going to a 5" port is about 20 sq inches of opening...I think it would sound better but the length would change ...A 2cu ft box would need....30.09 length a 2.5 cu ft box would need...23.34 length

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15869
please dont listen to him

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 270
you mad Sean ? lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums