Which is better?

Username: Bking10

Post Number: 3
Which is better a kicker solo x 18 or a JL w7?

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2406
They're totally different subs with different purposes. It depends on your amp, install, and desired result.

What are your system goals,
what electrical upgrades do you have,
what amp do you have,
what is your budget?

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8128
if u wanty everyday bass the w7 anyday....

if u want loudness wich gets anoyying and sounds not really as great but decent or u want to be louder than a l7 but with same sound quality stick with the solo x...

Post Number: 4
I was just curious to see if one was louder or better than the other cause ive seen where the solo has an rms of 5000 and the jl only has like 1000 so i just didnt know if one was better than the other or what

Gold Member

Post Number: 8129
in overall daily driver quality the w7 is wayyyy better....

but if you only care about LOUD badd that dont sound too nice well get a solo x..}

is like the w7 is a rolls royce phantom and the solo x is a ferrari..

they just diferent types of woofers.. but i woud chose the w7 or the rolls royce than the other haha

plus the solo x will get expensive.. is very power hungry....so you need tons of electrical upgrades on your car that will end up bein alot of money wasted on electrical..

plus at 1000 rms the w7 will outperfom the solo x anyday.... but if youo really have the money and the guts to mod up your car to run 5-7krms well i dont know is up to you

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1219
you have many other options, FI, DD, PSI, sundown, DC, AA, TC sounds, the list goes on a bit, but let us know your idea of what you want, we are hear to help you out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2407
With 1000 rms the solo-x will be louder in the right enclosure. It's my understanding that the solo-x is not that happy with rms, but that's just hearsay.
You'll need to spend around $1000 in electrical upgrades for the solox, were the JL will run on stock charging OK. I've installed several W7s and really prefer other (cheaper) subs. I'd also rather have several other 18s for the money too. I thought the w7s didn't sound as good as subs costing 1/2 as much in a sealed box. (type-x, Q, SSD, and the list goes on).

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1220
i have a 15" FI Q and i love it, wish i could have gotten a bigger box but thats the Camry's fault. i use to run Polk's, they where great starter sub's but my 1 Q sounds better and is maybe 1db more or less then the two 12's. my advice is find people in your area that have some equipment you haven't heard yet, see if you like it, if you are in GA near Atlanta i would be more then willing to give you a demo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2408
I love the Q, it's much better than the W7. You couldn't go wrong with the AA Havoc though- it's similar and has the same style cone as the W7.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8131
well dude the dudes your saying are str8t sq subs man..

the solo x might get ALIL louder in the right enclousure but if the jl is not in one either..

so if both are in their optimal enclousure with 1k rms the jl audio will be louder and specially if its the 13w7

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1221
he could all ways run a sundown SA 12" its loud as balls and is not SQ oriented, the SSD's are a middle of the road sub, yes the Q is a SQ sub, but he could get a BL that is 1k rms and its a nasty little 12" the only one i have heard was in a small truck but it was very much a spl beast, so no not all of them are SQ subs, i would love to get some more info from this guy, how ever at the end of the day he is going to buy what ever he want's.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1222
also i hate JL's 1.5 ohm coils and 13" is a stupid size.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8132
actually is 13.5" inch stupid no ofense but u made your self look stupid....and is pretty much almost 15 inch woofer... because of the

the techonlogy it has is pretty cool that none of your subs will have.. also is a good sql sub.. yes we know is alil bit expensive but thats the reason versace,gucci,louis vioutton exists... luxury my friend...

also with the w cone and their overroll techonology is actually pretty good if you ask me...

also the jl audio has a free air resonance way lower than a Q

the jl13w7 the fs is 23.5hz
and the fi q audio 15 inch is 32.1hz

you be the judge

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Fcking H0M0S , Wear FipFlops!! US

Post Number: 4992
actually is 13.5" inch stupid no ofense but u made your self look stupid....and is pretty much almost 15 inch woofer... because of the

Actually your ghetto @ss typing makes you look stupid, can you say Type-O-nigga ??

Polo..

Gold Member

Post Number: 8134
fu-ck you polo h0mo.....

did you forgot to get your daily dosis of crack...too bad.. crack head

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1223
i have herd the JL 13w7, its ok. i have herd better SQ subs that don't fall under the apple mentally of "our stuff is better because we are different."

also you miss quited some sh1t the other day, so i was off by .5" now ask me if i care, its not like i was telling any how big of a hole to cut, but now that we are on the topic this also means that you could only run JL subs (maybe 1 other off brand.) in what ever box you make or have built.

now as far as free air resonance i run my subs in a box, witch changes how the sub acts. there are 100+ different things that affect how a sub plays. on top of that your subsonic will probably be set ~30hz any way any thing below 28 hz.

i am not clamming to be an expert but all the posts i have read you have posted have had some BS in there. i would like to see real world testing with both subs in the same room under the same conditions and see what kind of specs come out of it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8135
so what you really want me to do is buy a w7, q,bl, ssd and test them out for ya????

ill do that tomorrow...

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1228
you don't even have the equipment to do the proper testing, i would have hexibase do it. also i never said any one buy anything, let alone you or anyone, just something i would like to see.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2410
Rob the W7 is not that good. The type-x is sq, the q is sq, but the ssd is not. You could buy 2 SSDs and have better sq and more output for less than 1 w7. The Q gets lower regardless of ratings, I've heard it with my own ears in similar enough setups. Basically no music has sub 30hz notes anyway. Hell chopped and screwed music sounds just as low on my SPL drivers lol. Specs aren't everything.

Let me clarify that so you don't twist it- I haven't owned a system in the last 3-4 years that didn't do over 150 at 30Hz, so it gets low enough for all my music.

It's fancy, it's pretty, and having installed the two larger versions of the w7 I know I'll never own one. They just weren't impressive, and not a good value at all.

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1110
If you're looking for the most bass off of 1k rms and you want something that will still sound good at all volume levels, go with the 13 w7. The w7 isn't going to be the best SQ driver, sure its SQ oriented, but the w7 also offers decent SPL, especially the 13 w7. The w6 would be more of a SQ driver.

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1111
The excursion a properly ran w7 can do is nasty.

[video removed]

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1113
If you have the room for a proper enclosure for an 18" sub you could always do a Fi Q. It would actually perform a little better on the same 1k rms. If you have the electrical and are wanting to run more power you could do an 18" Fi BTL.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16572
why do we even bother to mention comparing a rated 5000wrms sub to a 1000wrms sub ?

why compare something thats made to get all out ridiculously LOUD with something thats made to get sufficiently loud for daily use yet sound good ?

oranges to apples comparison ....

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1232
my thoughts exactly, but if i had to say when someone asks which is better without anything more than that, i think about overall build quality. and in that case, i think the w7 would be "better"

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Fcking H0M0S , Wear FipFlops!! US

Post Number: 4993
I have used a lot of subs an heard even more. The W7 is ok but doesn't pick up accuracy unless it is sealed then that wastes it mechanical abilities. Now one sub I had and still have is my 5200 that thing would drop bottom like no other gave me chills first time I heard it. Now I have a little car I have had to try different subs and been through Treo SSI's , RE SX and FI Q, Well the FI Q is quite impressive it blew the others away and drops bottom like a champ. I finally found a sub that gets down like my 5200 did BUT the Q has and added bonus it sounds great on any type of music! BTW I am running a SAZ 1500d to each 10" Q

Polo

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16574
how does the Q drop so low if its fs is between 32-34hz ? ...

Silver Member
Username: Perfectcircle

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 135
W7's can get pretty loud. Not solo x 18 loud. But like its been said the w7 is not real good sq sub. Jl says its their flagship sub, but In my experience. W6 is a far better sub. I've heard only 1 13w7 sealed. It was at a local shop. in one of the prowedge boxes. Was not impressed at all. Very low output and sounded "empty" if that makes sense. They said the box was built to spec for the 13w7, but it was awful, I don't think they are designed with sealed in mind.

Polo, I remember you getting that 5200 back in the day. I bought my 5400 right before you got that and posted pictures with you in mind. Why don't you run it anymore? just needed a change?

Silver Member

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 136
OP, if you are in the market for an 18" solo x. Let me know. I have 2 in my basement collecting dust. I've posted pictures on here of them, but I can take some new ones if you are interested.

Post Number: 5
What are probably the best sounding and loud together subs on the market now?

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1234
there are multiple options

Fi Q
AA Havoc
SS RL-s
SSA XCON
SI Mag (older style, the newest claw basket ones are much more sq oriented that the older models)
ID IDMAX

i know im leaving a bunch out, but just a quick list off the top of my head

Silver Member

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 137
I'd say the tc sounds lms 5400. owned one for a few years now. handles a boat load of power. gets loud as hell, and oh does it sound good doing it. No perfect sub, everyones ears are different.

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Post Number: 112
w7 in a jl H.O. box end of discussion. hehe
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us