Breaking in subs, fact or fiction, 12'' Type r Alps?

Username: Eklispe22

Post Number: 1
Recently had a single 12" Apline Type R sub installed in the trunk of my car.
I have a 500 w amp feeding it. So far it sounds really good.

Now I have heard rumours about breaking in a subwoofer, so it will sound better in the long run.
But everything I have read from forums have given different reasons/times/volume levels in which to break in. Ive heard everything from:
It only needs 10 secs, to it needs a month.
Keep it 1/3 volume, low bass, or crank it up.

They are contradicting advice so is there anyone who would like to elaborate?

Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11303
Fiction

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1068
What happens is, when a sub is new they are normally really stiff. When you play a subwoofer with your amp you are sending it power, which in turn is heat. When a sub plays, the motion helps to cool off all the components and everything is peachy. When a sub is new and stiff however, it is not going to move and flex as much as its meant to, to dissapate the heat that is occuring. If the sub is played at full power before loosening up, parts can be overheated and possibly damaged. Thats why using say half power for a given time, makes sure nothing is going to over heat and gives the sub enough motion to begin loosening everything up.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1682
I don't know if it applies to the alpines but i know when i purchased a couple Audioque HDC3's a while ago they said the biggest reason to brake them in was to loosen up the spiders. I will say when i first got them the subs were so stiff you could barely move them 1/16 now they are nice and loose moving easily half inch if pushing down with you hand. Audioque told me thats there biggest concern with those subs is not breaking them in properly. On another note as i played them they did start to play lower and what seemed to be louder.

I have noticed that the r's generally aren't really stiff when new so i don't think i would pay any mind to breaking them in. I would just treat them like something you want to last a while and you shouldn't have any problems.

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1485

quote:

I have noticed that the r's generally aren't really stiff when new so i don't think i would pay any mind to breaking them in. I would just treat them like something you want to last a while and you shouldn't have any problems.

I have a pair of type rs that I had in my car for about 2 years and they are still relatively stiff. Personally I would take it kinda easy on them for a month or so depending on how much you listen to them. Mine were almost new when I went on a 10 hour drive. I played them pretty hard the whole way and at one point I actually heard them suddenly start to play deeper and get noticeably louder... Kinda cool.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8126
it doesnt doo too much but it helps

M.S "Fiction"

who the fu-ck are you??

nobody thats right..

well the breaking in a sub doesnt help in the performance of the sub..

BUT...

it makes your suspension alil bit stiffer without cousing too much damage on the first time of playing it..

for example if you a really cold plastic and bend it it will break.. exactly..

then take the same really same plastic but isntead of cold make it alil bit warmer???

well now the plastic piece wont break it will bend..

thats exactly what you will do on the sub... make the suspension alil bit stiffer like break in the HARD brand new spiders and smooth them out since probably they will have alot of glue resin..

overall it doesnt help in the perfomance of the woofer.. but in the the life of the woofer its pretty good to do it..

if you think is b.s why companies suggest in the manual to break them in first???

also why all the car companies suggest you break in your car???

EXACTLY.........

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1703
As mother ducka said i to remember after playing mine in my car for 10 hours or so it literally got a point where my subs sounded so much better. Maybe it was just me but it seemed like they were hitting so much lower. That was weird to me because i had probably 40 hours of break in time on my home receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Fcking H0M0S , Wear FipFlops!! US

Post Number: 4990
Well Rob at least he ain't a loud mouthed ghettocan ... You know here in America we can say what we want, your in Messico and cannot so STFU lOl. Bet you ran for the border because you got tired of your wife singing this song to you > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZaIqtLWAOw

Polo

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1216
i have been told my Q is going to take a long time to "break in" but i take it as more like breaking in a bmw, just takes some time tell the rubber and spider(s) to change from virgin to used.

Bronze Member
Username: Thelonewolf1985

Post Number: 19
subs are different from a car... being gentle to a car is the worst thing you can do to it... http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm some may disagree with this but i do not and have broken in a few of motors in this manner... now subs absolutely break them in, they will last longer if you do!

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16570
subject has beaten to death

its advisable by many manufacturers to play ur sub at less than rated power for a period of time to allow its soft parts to loosen up a bit b4 u rock them at full rated power for prolong periods

that "period of time" can be anywhere from a wk to a few mths depending on how stiff the sub is & for how long u use it ...

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1218
^ that ^

Gold Member

Post Number: 8127
polo is f4g

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Fcking H0M0S , Wear FipFlops!! US

Post Number: 4991
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 8133
see your even giving me your 4zz to bang the sh1t out of you..

BUT.....

guess what??

i aint g4y so put your pants up sir..

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1224
i would take polo's word over yours any day.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8136
did i ask you??

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1227
by posting on a public forum i can comment on any thing i want, just like we haft to deal with you, you get to deal with me. we all ready know your word is not worth the energy it takes to read it. you all ready said you where leaving and never coming back, and look you came back. you have no right to complain that you are getting picked on, you bring it on your self, so ether stop being a hom0-phobic 4 year old and play nice or take your self to another forum.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8137
Upload

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH I REMEBER THE GOOD OLD DAYS............

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1486
Its like a virgin... You cant just ram it home you gotta lube it up first and ease it in inch by inch... like a gentleman.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1230
^^ thats my fav description so far.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us