Help out - w6 or w7?

Username: Thugzrghetto

Post Number: 3
k i went into sound decisions, a audio store yesterday and im looking at buying 5 big subs for my trail blazer. ive been looking at the JL w6 and 7 and they both seem pretty legit other than the fact that w7 cost more. i want to know if spending the extra cash is going to be worth it or will they be the same? and plz dont leave me coments asking me if i kno what im doing, i already have everything else ready, i just want someone who literaly knows the difference between these two subs, id ask the sound decision guys what they think but they r just trying to sell their most exspensive stuff ya kno? they have recomended some pretty exspensive shyt that sucked for me in the past. help me out?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11300
Well first of all make sure you REALLY want JL... they are grossly overpriced, you can get better stuff for less.

That said, the W6 is a pure SQ driver, the W7 is a cross over, sounds good but is louder. So it depends on what you want. And again i'd highly recommend you look into other stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2300
sound decisions in saginaw on gratiot?

JL is nice, but I would not buy it due to their price tag.

Post Number: 4
what other brand would u recomend? ive used jl in the past and i love its "smoothness" only other brand of subs ive used is kicker and they do exactly what they say, kick... i woudlnt even call what my kickers did bumping i had more rattle than bass even with amp settings very low

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11305
Fi Q

ficaraudio.com

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1065
Nothing wrong with JL but I wouldn't pay retail for them. Online will be much cheaper. If you want great low end bass, the deep deep stuff, the w7 shines. The w7 will also get plenty loud and still sound great at loud volumes. The w6s will work well in smaller enclosures and will be more geared toward SQ. I'd say they're not going to have the same amount of excursion so theoretically they're not going to reproduce the lows as well as the w7s. If space isn't an issue and you want a sub that will slam and get plenty loud I'd go with the w7s. I've seen used 12 w7s in great shape go for $300 online. A custom enclosure will also be a great idea. How many subs do you plan to run? What amp are you going to be powering them with?

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1066
Also, if low end bass is what you're going for, you'd be better off going with 18s. Do a couple 18s on 2k of power as long as your electrical can handle it you'll be good to go. If you have the budget for JL you can do some nice electrical upgrades and that's going to be as important as what you decide on running.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16537
lots of other brands here :

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/

sounds just as great but cost way less ...

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2504
i agree with MS and rovin.....
a pair of FI Qs really do sound nice

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5385
I've had 12" versions of both the w7 and w6v2 in sealed enclosures, built to spec and run off PPI PC series amps.

I prefer the w6 quite a bit more (I'm more of an SQ guy, anyway). The w7 sounds great, and definitely has the ability to wow passengers (the w6 does too, of course, but to a lesser extent). But as hard as I tried, I just couldn't live with the w7. After 15-20 minutes I would get tired of all the SPL and it just was not pleasant for a daily driver (if that's not what your intention is, you might consider the w7). I sold the sub after just over three weeks of having it installed.

The w6v2 sounds quite a bit better (in terms of SQ) and I literally can listen to it for hours on end. Accuracy of bass trumps intensity in my opinion. I've now owned the w6 for a year and a half (and still use it daily).

As far as getting other subs go, you can find other brands cheaper with same or better SQ/SPL. The only downside is that I notice they lose their resale value much faster.

Also, like SKD, I never buy JL brand new because of the exorbitant prices. But I assume in your case if you're getting five, you'd probably want to get them in the same condition, so going used might not work out so well (unless you can find someone else selling 5 used JL w7 or w6 subs--but if you did, you'd likely get a great price).

Silver Member
Username: Perfectcircle

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 122
I'd say if he's wanting 5 subs, Sq is not a real goal. if you have the money, go w7. it would be loud. but i've got a feeling, that shop is going to hammer you on cost. there are just so many more options. if you're cost conscience at all, look into a couple 18's.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5392

quote:

I'd say if he's wanting 5 subs, Sq is not a real goal.

Good point, haha. And also mentioned, powering 5 w7's will require an extremely powerful electrical system.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8092
Well first of all make sure you REALLY want JL... they are grossly overpriced, you can get better stuff for less.

That said, the W6 is a pure SQ driver, the W7 is a cross over, sounds good but is louder. So it depends on what you want. And again i'd highly recommend you look into other stuff.

OMG m.s your so full of it...

its like saying do you really want a ferrari???'}}

because u can get a honda civic and put alot of shyt to it to make it as fast as a ferrari..

thats so dumb

w6 is the sq sub of jl audio it means that is leaning towards sound quality good sounding bass wich is not too loud but great sounding to your ear..

the jl audio w7 is for sql-spl wich is alot of sound pressure level but with the disadvantage of lossing some sound quality..

Silver Member

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 128
I was just looking at this thread again. If he buys this at a jl dealer, they are obviously going to want to set him up with 5 jl amps also. 5 w7's and most likely 5 1000/1's wow. That is going to be really expensive. anywhere from 7500 to 10K just in equipment, not counting install. What i could do with that....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16547
[they have recomended some pretty exspensive shyt that sucked for me in the past]

um so why are u still gong there ?

5 subs is a really odd thing & i have never seen any1 do that b4 so i dont know if ur looking for "the wow factor" by doing 5

if u have space for 5 subs why not keep it simple & just do 2 good ported 15s ...

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 431
get 2 18s

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1099
The guy hasn't even responded back to the thread yet... hmm. I'd say If he wanted to really slam he could do a 21" Warden, upgrade his electrical and get a sweet amp. While he's at it put in a nice front stage. Still would be way under the retail price for 5 JL subs/amps.

Post Number: 5
okay all u haters... i finaly made my decision and bought some shtuf :D i went and bought a w7 and 2 w6. a kenwood's X1200M ( this thing is sexy as hell) amp is running the w6's and a JL 1000/1 on the w7. im still trying to figure out the best way to latch the boxes down. ive noticed if i aim them twards the front the bass in the back seat isnt as loud but if i aim them twards my hatch its alot better. oh and for the boxes i made the w7 and 1 w6 ported and the other w9 sealed that way i hit everything smooth. and for those of u freakin out on the costs of this, trust me its my last concern... the world is going to end in 2 years and u guys are concerned about the cost of shyt? i wana live it up before it ends. ill fer sher be bumpin when i go.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 716

Silver Member

Naptown, Indy

Post Number: 129
2 different kind of subs? i'd say "latching the boxes down" is the least of your problems. if cancellation is smooth. more power to you. there are so many things wrong with that post, my eyes went crossed. i hope this is a joke.

Post Number: 7
[there are so many things wrong with that post, my eyes went crossed. i hope this is a joke.]
whats wrong with my post fool? just cuz u have 130 posts and i have 5 or so makes u legit shyt huh?

Post Number: 8
and im pretty sure latching my boxes is my biggest concern. maybe if ur shyt was nice enough for peeps to want to steal u would kno why this is important to me ey?

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 718
This guy.
It has nothing to do with post count,but that fact that you have absolutely no clue what your talking about.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16551
this guy has got to be 1 of u regulars on here with a 2nd acct trying to fack with us ....

Gold Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1100
Wow, where to begin.. So you said they sold you stuff in the past that "sucked" and you went back to them. Fail number one. They did it to you again. Anyone who cared about what they were selling you would know better than to sell you two different types of woofers. The second fail is for you to come on here, ask us for advice, neglect to use any of it, then go ahead and buy the stuff anyways. Why did you even post on here if you didn't want our advice? No one on here was "hating" on you in the least, that isnt what this forum is about. We were trying to help you out. Normally, people like to save money. Even if you're rich, rich people still like a good deal. If you're in such a spot that your income allows you to spend a lot of money freely, congratulations. I wish I was in that sort of income bracket. Even then, there is nothing wrong with saving money.

Post Number: 9
SKD

i didnt neglect anything. i got good feed back on both subs so i got both. also im a impulse buyer and i live in a town with 300 people and the closest audio store (sound decisions) is 45 miles away. and any other store is over 2 hrs away. online is cheap yes, but i didnt feel like waiting since i had plenty of left over cash. i had the left over cash from selling old stuff. i had 7 crates of vinyls unopenned which gave me almost 4k. i sold my new bow wich was 950 because i havnt touched it in half a year and dont plan on it ever again. also i sold my dads boat, im getting rid of all this stuff cuz it sucks to pull into your garage everyday and see your dads favorite thing sitting there next to you and it reminds u that he died 4 months ago. just kinda sucks so i figured i should buy something i realy wanted to keep my mind of stuff like that ;D thanks for the help peeps ;D
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us