OT: going active

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 2064
hey guys i recently blew my tweeters from my polk mm6 set and im wondering about getting new tweets and going active.

one of my main concerns is lack of power. my amp only does 80x4@4ohm but does 180x2@4ohm. my comp set is 150 rms which is what i was feeding it. it was probably to much power for the tweeters(hence why they blew) but the mids enjoy that much power.

my other concern is how much power to give the tweeters. lots of reputable tweets like dynaudio have power ratings of 100rms+ i am assuming this is with the xover but how about when running active.

btw i run this amp. are these xovers sufficient to run active or do i need adjustable slope?
http://soundmagus.com/CP91.html

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11257
You've got plenty of power there.... most tweeters take maybe 10w. Yes thats ten watts. You'd have the gain for the channels drivers the tweeters cut WAY back. And then the 80w channels to the mids is fine.

There is a ton of loss in xovers, your mids were never seeing anywhere near 180w

An external parametric EQ is ideal for doing this kind of setup.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 2065
yea im not gonna do. it the slopes are only 6db per octave, my bad should have noticed that before posting lol

maybe down the road when i get some money.

anyways do you guys think it will be fine if i just throw in a set of the polk db tweets. i cant seem to find the originals for sale anywhere but they the same cone material and look similar. my guess is that they are the same. would pretty much anyother decent tweeter be fine?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us