2 12 kicker cvx vs 1 12 JLw7

Bronze Member
Username: Jaymoung

Saginaw, Michigan

Post Number: 32
i have 2 kicker cvx in a big ported box

i was recently offered a 12 w7 for it but didnt know if it was worth trade

i know 1 cvx wouldnt compare to 1 w7 but what about 2?

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 583
neither. They are overpriced.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 584
i have an adire brahma 12 1500 rms. Text me if u want it.250$

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 33
i still need a amp im talking to a guy who haves a profile cali 2000 watt did u ever do the big 3

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 585
yea man, in 4 gauge... better than 12 gauge. u got 2 cvx's eh... i bet those pound pretty damn good eh.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 586
i wouldnt trade 2 cvss for a w7... scrw that. unless your super in to SQ which ur not.. f that. Just get a nice amp and ur poundin.

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 34
how does it work for you(big 3) mine is in 2 gauges coms to advance auto $1.89 a foot....and yeah they hit hard they are in a nice azz ported box only thing is im sharing my little 500 watt orion 4 chan with the subs and speakers lol i need a amp ASAP but im dead broke right now....i cant wait to hear these things with at least 900 rms.....do you think the 2000 watt profile amp for 90 bucks is a good deal its 920 rms x1 and about 450 x2 @ 2 ohms

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 587
probably doesnt actually do that power... is it even class d? If you can save up like 50 more bucks u can get a real class d amp thatll do much more than that. Mine as well save up and od it right the first time ya know. Cause then in a month ull start thinking to urself... DAMNIT i wish ida gotten this or that amp blah blah u know.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 588
are they d4's?

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 35
yup go to profileusa.com its the ap2000 about 24 inchs wide check out the specs

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 589
its a 2 channel amp. Not class d, which means its not gonna be very effificient. But yea, 960 watts aint a super lot anyways. Wait for what others on hear tell u.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 973
You'll probably get more output and be happier with the 2 12" kickers. The 12 w7 is going to sound good and have nice output for one 12, but you'll have to feed it enough power at a ~3 ohm load. You'd have an easier time powering the 2 kickers and be just as happy.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1663
WOW..... Maybe its just me but I've owned a good amount of equipment a lot of that being jl and a lot not being jl. I have to say although it is not cheap what you get is well worth the money, because you are getting a quality product. I seriously had one jl 10w7 and it blew my friends 2 12 kickers out of the water. Not only did it sound a hundred times better but it hit a lot harder also. Look at the facts those kickers have a retail of what 100 bucks. I see them all day long selling for dirt. Good condition w7's are still selling upwards of 300 bucks used.

With the right box and what not would 2 kickers hit higher numbers? I'm not doubting that but come on those subs are way out of a w7's league. I also wouldn't consider the w7 to be an all out sq sub either.

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 37
@

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 38
these are far from 100 subs these sub retail for 400 a sub 750 rms these subs compare to mtx 9500 and l7s and those are both 400+ dollar subs

you cant compare somebody kickers setup to mine cause there are compelty different setups i have a truck my box is about 4-6 cubic feet etc so u cant here somebody poor kicker setup to a well did jl setup

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 39
and just label kicker subs as trash but i do hate how jl make there subs in 3 ohms and 1.5 ohms its harder to match a amp to def if you on a budget

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 590
i agree jay , joe seems to be talking out of his a$s, i bet once he saw the work "kicker" on the thread title he was like yup, im about to come in hear and down whatever kind of kickers they are. CVX's are not l7's or l5's. 2 of them vs 1 w7 shouldnt really be a contest if you feed them the right amount of power(700-1000 each). Now, if you were looking to trade and just sell the w7 than thats another story. cvx's are currently going for 150 shipped new on ebay. used w7's about 350 shipped used.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1667
I might have been a little low on the retail and i never said the cvx's are trash. I have owned them before and they were excellent budget subs with a great output for the price. However they still are way out of a w7's league. Weather i was buying to sell or buying to put in my own car i would still choose the w7. Don't get me wrong in the right box the kickers can sound great but still.

Talking out my @ss huh i bet you never even heard a w7 before. You just seen the price and decided to jump on the banwagon.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 592
nope, not realy, ive used a custom w7 before... it was amazing.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2291
oh ya....what was so custom about your W7?

2 12s will be louder than 1 12 in a comparable install, on comparable power

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 666
Assuming its in good shape,I think id go for the w7. Just a much better quality sub imo. But... im sure the kickers would be louder. I guess its really up to you what kind of sound you want.

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 40
im really just going back to spl hard deep bass i havnt even powered these kickers up to full power to know what i got that y i was asking you guys i just recently put a 300 or 400 watt poineer amp to it and these things hit just as hard as my l7s that was in a homemade box built by the guy i bought them from and i was feeding them 750 rms @ 1 ohms so the soundstream box says

no if i get the w7 what kinda box is need how many cubic feet and how would i wire them down if any amp i get is going to b ! ohm or 2 ohm stabe

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 41
the guy is talking bout all he haves is a 3 12 box and a 15 box that he can make the 12 w7 fit and it haves the right air space for it

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 593
^^screw that. Im ESTIMATING itll want 2.0 - 2.3 cu ft tuned to 30-35.

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 42
hey i just texted you like 20 mins ago i was wondering if we could meet up or if i can come by to hook a big amp up to these kickers so i can see what they can take also did you have a amp for sell

Gold Member

Post Number: 1669
I think jl recommends less then 2 cub per a sub and i also think they recommend tuning around 36hz. I know its on there site.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 594
naw, dont have an amp for sale. We can meet up tommorrow, cause ill be heading to redmonds to pick up my big a ss box for a 15". My a7hc puts out 1400 at 1 ohm. so yea... they should get pretty damn loud if ur electrical can pull that much. also u could get metered if u want. its like 25 bucks and they do it with the real meter aka termlab. once u pay the 25 u can get metered as often as ud like, ive gotten metered like 3 times, the guys pretty cool.

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 43
what u hit and what was you using

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 595
im about to get my 15 metered tomorrow. The 12 off about 1000 watts(?) in a 2.5 tuned @ 33 hit 138 @ 39 hz in a trunk(not sealed) with meter on dash and window slighly cracked.

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 44
what time are we meeting tomorrow and wat u think about the orion hcca im sure i can still get it for about 200

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2292
where do you guys live in michigan?

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 45
about 2 hours away in saginaw

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2293
right on. i lived in saginaw most of my life. i moved to traverse city in 2007 then to new jersey just a couple of months ago

so you guys are talking about the redmonds on the corner of bay and shattuck?

does scott still work there? do they still have a memphis b0ner?

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 47
yeah man scott fing lives and breathe memphis he sell jl and kicker but on have memphis in stock lol hes a mojo head he beilves theres no better sub then the mojo

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2294
ya dude. he always has

i think there are some good installers in saginaw. i like redmonds, M&R, and sound decisions

they all do good work......they just carry stuff that im not interested in

i hate dukes with a passion

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 49
same hear dukes is too cocky and im sorry i just dont like RF at least not there new subs to be honest i hate commerical car audio will i think ecomony car audio is the better term like sony,some pioneer,dual,jensens,some kenwood they make crapper car audio but sell it cheap so you think you got a deal but id you would have save a extra 50-100 bucks you could have got something wayyyyy better

so back to the question in the right enclousure will the proper power been supllied would 2 cvx bet out 1 w7 in spl?

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 979
I have a 12 w7 in a proper enclosure and I hit 138.5 dB on 500 rms. My box is tuned to 32 Hz and peaked at 45. I'm sure if it was seeing 1000 rms it'd be louder, easily over 140. The w7 isn't going to be a superb SPL sub though. The enclosure will help but the w7 shines in low end output. As with most SQ subs, its meant to have excursion more so than overall loudness. I'd say the 2 kickers would be louder, but probaly not do as well on the low end.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 596
^^^ bs u did not hit 138.5 on 500 rms in a box tned to 32 @ 45 hz... thats not even logical, it would be at its peak @ 38-40. U did not use a termlab, guarenteed.

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2295
he has a hatchback

i see it very possible......138 is not a crazy number at all

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 597
is a hatch ack a hug advantage over a trunk?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1670
Depending on where his cars peaks its entirely possible. So i definitely believe it. I've seen a 10w7 hit 140's i cant remember but im pretty sure it was a jl 500/1. I have no idea what the box was tuned to but it did sound decent on music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1671
From my experiences yes but im sure someone else could tell you other wise. Depending how the boxes are built you can get really good numbers out of trunk cars.

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 51
im going to have to agree with joe cause i had a single 12 pionner premier 400rms svc in a prefab ported box maybe 1.5 cub ft on my soundstream piccaso 700.1 doing 350@ 4 ohms in my truck hit hard but it hit wayyyyyy harder in the lil trunk space of my 84 camaro i mean ppl was suprise to see it was 1 12 i mean i could b hear from ablock away

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 984
I had it tested at a MECA show. They sat the mic in the seat a certain distance from the windshield. The sweep they did was ran through a computer and they guy told me I peaked at 45 Hz and hit 138.5. After reading the other thread about alts I see now why when I did my actual run at 45 Hz I only hit 137.1 dB. My alt couldn't keep up with the current draw and began pulling more off my battery which resulted in a slight decrease in output.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1672
I'm thinking about picking up two 13w7's and building and spl box. I bet a lot of people would be surprised. The 13 will take a lot more juice then the 10's and 12's to.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 985
If you get 2 13 w7s theyre going to be nasty. Should be a pretty impressive build. Any idea what amp you'd run them with?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1673
I would probably use my crescendo 3k. The 13w7's don't mind a smaller box either, which is pretty cool.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 986
I used to have a pair in a sealed enclosure. Pretty impressive even though I wasn't showing them near enough power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us