Choosing 1 of 4 amps... Want some help and opinions

Username: Infamshxr

Post Number: 1
So I'm looking to buy one of these and need some opinions on them. I'm looking to get the best for the cheapest. I know that the audiobahn is probably the best, but it is the most expensive. That's the only downside... My GF is looking to spend as less as possible while getting the best she can. The amp will be powering 1, maybe 2, 10" Soundstream America DVC sub in a sealed box. The system is in a minivan (lol). That's really all the info I have on the sub. I did compare it to my RF P2's and it sounds better than one of those. Almost as good as both of them together. If anyone knows of any other really good ones in this price range, feel free to post a link to it. Here's the final 4 that i found along with some specs on it. Also, the smaller the dimensions, the better...

PowerBass ASA-300.2x (2ch) 600watt max..... $69.99 + $7.99 shipping = $77.98
150watts x 2 @ 2ohm
75watts x 2 @ 4ohm
Bridged 400watts x 1 @ 4ohm
Dimensions 7.8 x 9.3 x 1.9 inches
Warranty 30 day - 1 yr manufacturer???
http://www.amazon.com/PowerBass-ASA-300-2x-2-Channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B002EYZXBQ

Power Acoustik CPT-600 (2ch) 600watt max..... $64.98 FREE shipping = $64.98
125watts x 2 @ 2ohm
100watts x 2 @ 4ohm
Bridged 250watts x 1 @ 4ohm
Dimensions 9.8 x 11 x 2.3 inches
Warranty 30 day - 1 yr manufacturer???
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Acoustik-CPT2-600-Tri-Mode-Selectable/dp/B003CYL7MG

Audiobahn DUB-2502 (2ch) 1100watt max..... $89.99 + $9.99 shipping = $99.98
375watts x 2 @ 2ohm
250watts x 2 @ 4ohm
Bridged 550watts x 1 @ 4ohm
Dimensions 8.25 x 2+ x 10.75 inches
Warranty 30 day manufacturer or 1-2 yr extended available
http://www.woofersetc.com/p3028/DUB2502--Audiobahn-2-Ch-550-Watt-ClassA-B-Amplif ier.htm

Planet Audio AC1000.2 (2ch) 1000watt max..... $73.99 FREE shipping = 73.99
350watts x 2 @ 2ohm
???watts x 2 @ 4ohm (possibly cant do 4 ohm?)
Bridged 700watts x 1 @ 4ohm
Dimensions 2+ x 10 x 12+ inches
Warranty $7.99 for 3 yr extended warranty
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_25322_Planet+Audio+AC1000.2.html

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 316
Stay away from all of those. Especially the Audiobahn. You really need to find out what those subs are, SVC or DVC and what ohm. Also, you are kind of all over the place with price and watts. You need to figure out what the sub(s) can handle. Let us know this and we can help.

Post Number: 2
Really? I heard audiobahn was like really good. Also I checked into all the brands I have listed and all got pretty good feedback. Although power acoustik was kinda half half. My friend has audiobahn in his car and loves it. That's all I really know. As far as what those subs are, I will look tomorrow and let ya know. All I know is that th brand is soundstream usa and they are dvc.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 320
You can check this list for most of the good, bad, etc.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/329117.html

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the input. Sounds like planet audio might be her best bet. But the only thing I was worrried about is that it can't do 4ohm x 2. So if we do end up using two of her subs and say they are 4 ohm subs, should I just bridge the amp and run them both off that bridge or wire it in 2ohm mode? Or let's say they are 8ohm subs, then what? Thanks again

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 654
You should find out exactly what you have before you buy an amp.
But from what i hear,powerbass makes a good budget amp.

Post Number: 4
Alright, looked at the sub and saw this on it. Usa10 8/2ohm and a sticker with a barcode that says u11008601

Username: Angle333

Post Number: 1
First thing with a subs and amps is to look at RMS watts not peak. The RMS values are what you want to equal between the sub and amp. I built a box for a P3 and was surprised at their output. The RMS on the P3 is 500 watts. This would probably be a good jump up from the store brand sub. Alpine type R's are also a wonderful sub and is also in the 500 RMS catagory. I would recommend that you visit a Best Buy and play around with their subs that they have hooked up on the displays to get an idea of what you are looking at in a sub. Note just look and listen, they are horrifically over priced. Also do some reading online. If you do the work yourself you save a lot on labor and you don't have to pay the retail price that most shops charge by shopping online.

For amps you really need to consider how much you want to spend. Amps with he output to match a P3 run from around $100 for a cheap amp to over $500 for the more serious brands/product lines. The main thing is matching the subs RMS to the amps output. Another thing is the wiring, the P3 is a dual voice coil sub and comes in dual 2 or dual 4 ohm configurations which adds more to consider when picking the amp. Again I recommend reading up.

Amps overheating and shutting off is typically caused by not setting the gains properly. If the amp is turned up over its designed limit then it can clip, distort, and create more heat then it can handle. None of that is a good thing. I run two Alpine type R's in my car and have no issues with just my ground wires upgraded and you should be fine if you only run the one P3. Check the power wire you got from the local shop inikesneakers.com , if it is 8 gauge then your good to go and the other stuff should be fine.

Sorry about the long post. I could go on all day lol.

Silver Member

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 325
Yea, you really need to know what that or those subs can handle. I tried to look up your subs and I couldn't find anything. So, either you can get a different sub(s) or you might wind up blowing or underpowering that sub. Let us know what you are wanting to do and we can help.

Post Number: 5
Yea, I know. I have no idea about the subs wattage and such. I just know that the one sounds almost as good as both my P2's. So I'm guessing the sub has so to be like 300 watts RMS cuz my P2s I beleive are 200 watts RMS. So maybe that PowerBass one is the best idea? Or maybe just get the Planet Audio one considering it has more power and might future proof her in case she upgrades her sub sometime.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us