I officially hate DEI

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11211
Ok, so recently I bought a Viper 5701 alarm, keyless, remote start combo unit. Got it for a good deal, or so I thought. I have always liked DEI made stuff, viper python, clifford, etc. I've installed older stuff by them and it was always top quality.

Now I get this system installed and go to program the advanced features with the valet button and remote as the manual says. Doesn't work. Manual also says these units can be locked so that a DEI programming tool called bitwriter is needed to program them. Great, so I borrow a bitwriter from someone. Won't program it.

I search google for hours, no solution. I call DEI tech support, they won't help me b/c "support is only for dealers". F-k them.

Theres 2 local dealers in my area, a local shop and best buy. I go to the local shop, they won't help me b/c the install was not done by an authorized dealer. I go to best buy, they have no idea what to do, b/c well it's best buy.

So now I have a system with no remote start b/c I can't program it. I hate DEI.

/rant

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 399
those things are crazy complicated to install, took me hours and hours. so many small wires that need to be in specific places, my vehicle wasn't too complicated, but im sure a newer vehicle would make it that much more difficult.
any bad wires? or a defective unit?
you could take it out and sell it on craigslist lol

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1089
i want a new remote start but on one will touch a car with a stick.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11212
There are quite a few models that support manual transmission. Any viper or python high end unit should. My 5701 does.

With mine it looks like the bitwriter i was using did not have a new enough chip in it to support this unit.. so now i gotta find one the does.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1112
na i use to have a viper unit on my jeep, it came with the wire for stick but it died with my jeep, and i have been told that any shop that installs a remote start in a stick gets fined $7,500..... and i don't do great patch work on factory wiring. i really miss my remote start.

Silver Member
Username: Jemone

Tucker, Georgia United States

Post Number: 401
It can be dangerous because some people do not fully engage park when they drive a stick.. I have actually witnessed a car start up and try to drive off! Thankfully, it was stopped by the cement car stop found in most parking spaces. It was my old installer's car, and his wife had just finished driving it.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1115
again why you don't let friends or your wife drive your car.

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 579
lol

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11214
I'm starting to think maybe hookedontronics.com gave me a refurb instead of a new one... if it were new it should not have come locked... and the packaging was not sealed

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11216
Got this working. I had to get an upgrade chip for the bitwriter. Now I can install and program nearly any DEI system without using a dealer. Suck it DEI
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us