Subwoofers keep going quiet, now amp is blowing fuses..?

Username: Davviscool

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, So i recently installed a new amp and some subs in my car. Ive got a rockford fosgate t10001bd (1500w max, i believe 1000 rms) and 2 alpine type r-swd1042d 10s rated for 500w each. I wired with a monster wiring kit (only rated at 650 watts but the nice man at frys said it would be fine.)

Everything was working great on the night of the install and then the next morning for some reason the whole system was really quiet. I went to work and on my lunch i went out to my car to try it again and it sounded great. Later that night i drove out to the country to tune my system and i turned it up fairly loud, popped the trunk and all of a sudden they got really quiet. Frustrated, i went back home and didnt use the system for another few days. When i finally tried it again it sounded great for an hour an then got really quiet again. I had my friend over cause he wanted to check them out and i put on a fairly bass heavy song and turned it up louder then i ever have. I told him that the volume was like 1/4 of what it usually is so i had to compensate by turning thd deck up. It sounded really freakin good for about 3 seconds and then i heard a faint pop and the subs were off. I went back to check and the amp was in protect mode, and the fuse on the power wire (near the battery) was popped. Help? Thanks, david.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15093
sounds like your alternator is having a hard time keeping up and its draining your battery and sending a clipped signal which is popping your fuse (which is really bad for your equipment and could blow stuff)....what kind of car is this in

Username: Davviscool

Post Number: 2
I figured it was power related. Its a 92 honda accord, 270k miles on it. My dad and i have been keeping up on the engine and the tranny and timing and the brakes and so on. We havent taken a look at the alternator though. Do you know how to fix/ whats causing it? And its a damn good thing god blessed the world with fuses.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15103
you have a 80 amp alternator and thats no where near enough for your vehicles basic electrical needs let alone a amp that puts out more than rated power....the only way to fix this is to get a high output alternator

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15104
by the way as a side note id upgrade your wiring to 2 ga or 0 ga esp if that amp does put out 1500 watts (and it very well could) they are under rated

Bronze Member
Username: Jaymoung

Michigan

Post Number: 53
well i think there could be too much current going thru your wires id say upgrade to 4 gague and do the big 3 i used 2 ga and it help me big time i have 2 l7s and only had about 600 to 800 rms goingto them and my volts dropped big time like from 14 to 12.5 on every beat did the big 3 and i barly get a drop no dimmer or anything sold the l7s got some cvxs(1500 rms @ 1 ohm) only seeing 300 rms lol building my setup again but i go thru 2 fuses a week depending on how much i use them and the fuse dont blow they just get brown and my speakers annd subs get very low i have door speakers on amp and i was told theres too much current going thru the wires i need a bigger fuse

so do the big 3 to get more volts and to stop dimming if u get it and just either get bigger wire or a bigger fuse
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us