10" W7

Bronze Member
Username: Mattwedem

Post Number: 14
Hi I found this ad on craigslist its a 10w7 with a box for $175 he says mechanically it's 100%, cosmetically missing the dustcap. I didn't know they had a dustcap. Does this effect perfomance at all?
Thanks in advance

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 515
175 aint bad. W7's sound real nice. Make sure that box is custom made for it and not just some prefab.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 516
wait... its missing the dustcap? that sounds a little funky, maybe you could find one and glue it on from your local jl dealer. If its to much hastle you could go with a superior 12", ht pro blackout off ebay selling for 160 shipped, great SQ, 1500 rms, will get loud off just 700-800.

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 341
w7's look like crap without that dust cap. just find something else.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Well it was good for me cuz i only have a 500 watt amp and dont want to upgrade batt alt ect. also I have a camaro and a 10" is just about all I can fit in the back. I didn't even know the w7 had a dustcap. Thanks though i'll look into it.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 517
U can run 1000 without having to upgrade ur electrical

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
well I would still have to buy a new amp. But if not w7 then do you guys have any suggestions? It needs to fit in my trunk area though.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 518
so... ur gonna want a sub thats around 500 rms... whats ur budget?

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 519
whats the model number of ur amp

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5338
The W7 does not have a dust cap in the traditional sense. It has a two-piece, unit-body cone... both pieces (upper and lower) are necessary to achieve the appropriate cone rigidity. A W7 with a missing upper cone body will not work properly or reliably.

See here for detailed explanation...
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/W7_WCone.html

I wouldn't buy a W7 with a missing upper cone body unless the price was good enough that adding the reconing charge would still yield a substantial savings over a new one.

Anyone who says that a missing upper cone "does not affect performance" is seriously mistaken or trying to mislead you.

Best regards,

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 430
Alpine type R is like $110-120ish new iirc. solid sub and great for 500rms

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 521
or you could get a used sa 12 for about 150 shipped on the ca.com classifieds

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I have a jl 500/1 so it needs to be about 500 watts Im thinking a 10" alpine type r.

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 951
fixmyspeaker.com he might be able to help you with the upper cone body

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 523
why are u so insistent on a 10"? a 12" will have more output, with no sacrifices

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 610
I agree, i think a single type r 12'' on that amp would sound pretty good!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
well i can't fit 2 12's but i can fit 2 10's if i want to. also the 10's just seem to have more of a punchy sound.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 534
ooo so u want multiple 10's i gotcha, i thought u were talking about getting just the 1 10" w7 before. I take it your looking for great SQ with strong output since u wante the w7. Ive heard type rs in a sealed box and to be honest, to me they sounded like as s, but thats probably because i only listen to top SQ woofers. The w7 is A TON!!! more tight and clean then the r imo. But if your on a budget it may be the best way to go but dont expect it to sound as crisp as that w7.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Well if you have any other suggestions that would be great. Im kinda on a budget but I dont wanna buy crap. Basically I don't wanna drop $1000 on subs lol, I wanna buy a turbo too.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 535
Well you only have 500 to work with... what you could do is get 2 fi audio type x's. I believe they are like below 150 shipped each. 250 rms each, get dual 2's so ur amp will give em the 500 at 2 ohm. Also you many want to get a custom ported box if u do decide to port, or sealed

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 536
OR you could get ascendant audio assassins which are also 250 rms each, i had the 12's a few years ago... and ud be surprised with the output. Quality little SQL woofers

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 537
sorry for triple post, ull want the svc 4 ohms versions for either setup so u wire in parrallel for 2 ohms final load.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1052
2ohm + 2ohm = 1 or 4 / 4 + 4 = 8 or 2

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 538
u post whore

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
well I dont even mind upgrading my amp if i can try to keep it under $1000

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
actually I could sell my current set up too. I have 2 12" audiobahn aw122t subs and some crappy 1000watt kenwood amp. Is that worth anything? The cash could go towards a new system.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 539
LOL DAWG ur about to be upgrading on the real. sell them audiobums on ur local craigslist. and that kenwood amp and lets hook you up

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
lol i didn't think they were that bad but the only other subs I had were 10" JL W0's. It would be sweet if some people wanna give me some suggestions as to what to buy. I can measure my trunk area tomorrow after work to see if that stuff would fit. Btw thanks everyone you guys have been great I was so lost before lol.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1053
http://www.woofersetc.com/p9255/SAZ1000D--Sundown-Audio-1000W-1Channel-Monoblock -Amplifier.htm

+

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Sundown-Audio-SA%252d12.html

or 2 12"s

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Sundown-Audio-SA%252d12.html

and

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Sundown-Audio-SAX%252d1200D.ht ml

or you could try a pair of FI SSD's ( https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn154c479489c8a4d/shopdata/0050 _Speakers/0040_SSD/product_overview.shopscript )

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3051
Keep your JL amp and get this

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-656

Seal it up and you will not be disappointed.

BTW the 500/1 puts out the same power (500wrms) from 1.5-8ohms

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
I like both of these solutions. but what if I buy 2 of the TC Sounds Epic 10" subs and upgrade my amp? would that be a good idea vs the ssa subs?

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1054
if you get a bigger amp you will need more electrical to power it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
really? Ryan said 1000 watts would be fine. also my stock alt is pretty nice

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1055
yeah you should be fine off 1k, just an FYI, you way want to do your big 3. its cheep and its a good thing to do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Lol I just saw that the TC sounds Epic sub is sold out for about 4 more months and I don't want to wait that long for bass. but the fi ssd is looking better and better I have heard nothing but good things about Fi.Has anyone else used Fi subs here? if so what do you think?
Thanks

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1056
i run a 15" FI Q, cant really tell you what i think only played with it when i got it then took my car apart, so i will let every one know when i get that up and running.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 3053
Ooops I didnt realize the TC was out of stock lol my bad. Another sub to consider is the Boston Acoustics G5. It is supposed to be very comparable to the JL w6 but louder and cheaper.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p2547/G51044--Boston-Acoustics-10"-450-Watt-Dual- 4Ohm-Subwoofer.htm

Ebay should have it cheaper but that link is just for an example.

Here is another option

http://www.soundsplinter.com/rli10_subwoofer_information.html

Both subs I linked you to will sound great in a small sealed enclosure with around 500wrms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
well,the SSD FI 10" or 12" if i can fit it seems to be a good deal but I would also need to upgrade my amp.
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154c4862db07fda/s hopdata/0050_Speakers/0040_SSD/product_overview.shopscript

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 540
219 + shipping is a lot to pay for a 10" that handles 500 rms... that better sound AMAZING.(talking about the g5).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Thats why I was thinking the SSD might be a better deal. I just need to measure my trunk area after work to see if I can fit 2.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 542
uhhh if u get 2 ssds and put 1600 to em with custom ported boxes... ur bumpin lol

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 614
Im running a 15'' Fi Q too,and i gotta say... I like this sub more an more everyday. I dont think you can go wrong with anything Fi. Another sub i always here good things about are the Aq sdc's. There pretty cheap too, like $130 a piece http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=22

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 349
x2, a lot of people really seem to like the sdc's. great bang for your buck sub.

it's worth a look into.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I can't measure my trunk area right now its raining hard. This is probably a stupid question but If i buy 2 SSD's will that be louder than my audiobahns? Those subs tore apart my old car

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8078
probably will not be louder maybe like the same if you give them the same power... and depends on your audiobahns some audiobahns get really loud with small power.. but they all sound like sh1t

the ssds will probly sound equal but not less BUT it will sound SO MUCH NICER!!!

go with the ssd's

by the way what audiobahn models do you have??? im looking for some ol skool ones called flame q

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
sorry I have 2 12" AW122t there like 550 rms each. Im giving them like half of that lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 8079
well with that power the aw1222t will be alil louder but not too much or maybe the same depending on your box,car etc....

yeah go with the ssd... you will be fine and sound so much nicer

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
If got 2 ssd's how big would the box need to be?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8080
check audioque website they will tell your the recomended box specs..

you should be fine and you can even put it sealed(smaller box usually) that will yield so much nicer music(sound quality) or a ported box(bigger box) yielding much more spl(LOUDER) but will sound not as good as the sealed in my opinion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Well I took some rough measurements of my trunk area its 23" wide 13" deep and 23" tall. but there is more room than just the basin area. (will try to get pics up to help explain). http://caraudiofactory.com/19931995-camaro-firebird-fbody-trunk-p-131.html makes a box made for my car and you can see the bottom area. btw would this sub box work for these subs?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
The box in the link looks kinda like its made cheap. Would It just be a better idea to have one custom made?
Thanks

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 548
find out how many cu ft fi reccommends for each speaker sealed. If its around 1.6 per speaker then ur good.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
well its .7-1.2 for each is the .4 difference that big of a deal?

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 549
half a cubic ft is quite a difference. if you have the money to get it custom made do it.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 550
dont take my word for it, im not a box expert, so wait for someone else to chime in to.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 627
Just have a custom box made. It will sound so much better,and theres a guy on here (bassman3) that does really nice work for good prices. Im sure he can help you out.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 551
he just wants a sealed box sean.... not a fancy ported because he doesnt have enough for in his trunk.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Ya I would like to go sealed but a custom box would be very expensive, would it not?

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 554
i mean.. u can find shops who will make a dual ported box for 120. But if you just want sealed it shouldnt cost more then 80. just look around at all your local shops.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Thats what sucks though. There are NO car audio shops in my area. not even performance car shops or anything! lol it sucks so bad

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Hey so I'm about to order my 12" SSD and I'm not sure If I should get it 1 or 2 ohms. Im gonna be using a Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D
http://www.amazon.com/Hifonics-Brutus-BRZ1200-1D-D-Class-Block/dp/B0036B8URK
Thanks so much I really need to know asap I want to order it lol.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1099
D2 = 1 ohm or 4 ohm

D1 = 2 ohm or .5 ohm

any upgrades or just stock?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Thank you, Stock now, If it cant handle it then upgrades.
@1 ohm the amp puts out 1200watts. Should I just get D2 and wire it up for 1 ohm and turn down the gain? The SSD's rms is 800watts. lol sorry if that sounds stupid

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1101
grab the BP power and get D2 and run 1 ohm with that amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Sweet, Thank you so much. Just one more question. sorry for bombarding you with questions. when I build/ buy my box I was thinking about 1 cuft sealed for SQ Fi recommends .7-1.2 does that sound good or is that too big? Again Thank you so much

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1106
np, and i would ask bassman about box's, i am still a box noob.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
ok thanks. I owe you guys one! If you guys ever need engine or computer help hit me up lol.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1111
hahah i am an IT nut and a network admin and working on a degree in it...... stupid peace of paper. i will let you know when i blow up my little 4 banger when i hit 20k miles lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Thats cool, u probably got me beat on the computer stuff. I couldn't stand driving a 4 banger I like big engines! lol

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1114
you work with what you got.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Hey so im all good except for a box. lol Since I discovered today I do not have a knack for building them. I was looking on ebay for boxes that will fit my car and I found this. http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-93-02-CAMARO-Sub-Box-Speaker-Enclosure-2-12-NEW-/2606 41593436?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caf73185c
It all looks legit but I was wondering If it is okay for me too leave one side open until I get another SDD? (he says its divided into 2 seperate Chambers but its not in the picture.) Thanks, after this I will be done bugging you!

Silver Member
Username: Gutteer

Fort atkinson/Marshall, WI

Post Number: 131
find bassman3 he could most definitely build you a better box for the same amount or cheaper so find him and send him a pm

Bronze Member
Username: Jaymoung

Michigan

Post Number: 46
a little late in the thread but i know a guy in flint,mi who was selling 2 10 w7s in 2 diff boxes for 200 each in perfect condition
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us