Subwoofer help

Username: Iceroyal

Post Number: 1
Hi, im new here was wondering if you could help me decide between some subs.

DD1512 http://www.ddaudio.com/caraudio/09/woofer09_1500.htm
vs
Fi SSD12 https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154c356f017e485/s hopdata/0050_Speakers/0040_SSD/product_overview.shopscript
vs
Audioque SDC2.512 http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=22

Music=Rap/rock

Im looking for a sub that going to be loud when it needs to be but also has SQ. I want peoples input on these 3 subs and if you know of any others in similar price range/RMS range feel free to throw those ideas out there to. I wanna know likes, dislikes advantages of one sub over the other anything along those lines trying to get as much input as possible so i can make a well educated descion.

i aslo would like to know the advantages of have 2 subs vs 1

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14521
Fi SSD12

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 805
x2

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 509
x3

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14546
x4 lol

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3837
All three are good woofers.

"i aslo would like to know the advantages of have 2 subs vs 1"
More output.

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 440
lol at more output.... DUUUHHHH jaja stupid question. u should just get an fi q its 250 shipped 1000 rms and sounds great, just get a custom box tuned to 30-35

Bronze Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 47
I think its common sense thats its more output. I think he wanted a slightly more technical answer. Id start googling and get a good answer but im at work on my phone so ill let someone more knowlegable take care of that.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3839
"I think its common sense thats its more output. I think he wanted a slightly more technical answer. Id start googling and get a good answer but im at work on my phone so ill let someone more knowlegable take care of that."

Google it and get back to me...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14565

Post Number: 2
Thank you for all your help. I know there is more output with 2 but is it going to be twice as loud as having one or just alittle bit louder because i have heard that its only like a 3db increase and also do you think i will need 2 im currently running 2 sonys at 200rms a piece so one fi ssd is 800rms is it going to be as loud i mean i dont know what surface area vs rms does for loundness/soundpressure/sq

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15079
for us typically the second woofer gains 1.5 to 2 db ...by the way three db is more than you think

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15080
the 3 db can happen but its rare

Post Number: 3
Oh well the 3db thing was something i had heard from someone i now realize its a exponential increase. But back to the other question i had will that one fi ssd sub at 800w rms be louder then my 2 sonys that are running at 200 rms a piece ? What i still do not understand and would greatly appreciate if someone could explain is what surface area vs rms does for loundness/soundpressure/sq. Sorry im kinda new at this i bought the sonys in high school and thought they were great but then I started to educate myself on the subject

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1032
let me put it to you this way, in my jeep i had 4 12"s on ~100 watts a pop, i have seen a single 12" on ~1k that beat the crap out of me jeep and from the trunk even. so yah, but its install dependent as well.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 513
ur gonna notice a day and night difference between those sonys and ssd

Gold Member
Username: 420pimp2

Baltimore Atlantic Ci..., MD, NJ

Post Number: 1017
yea no doubht

Post Number: 4
So i was just on FI 's website and they now have the fi x there alittle low on rms but if i got 2 of them with the bp power option do you think it would be louder or equivalent to the SSD i want the SSD but i really thinking i want 2 speakers instead of one and and if i were to get 2 SSD that means new alternator and i don't know if i can shell out that kinda money.

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

San Antonio, Texas

Post Number: 462
You can't necessarily say that more cone surface area equals more output/SPL. The thoughts that any two subs is better than one is a fallacy. In the case of the two FI X vs the one SSD, yes the two Xs would have more sound pressure. Now two X12s ($240) vs one Q15 ($260) may be a different story. I think i graphed out the old X12s vs my Q15 and the Xs were near equivalent in the higher hz but the Q slaughtered it in SPL in the lower hz (like most 15s). The old Xs also took a bit more power and the Q takes a good 500wrms more.

Why are you looking at 12" subs when you are worried about surface area? If you have the room and concerned about how loud it will be, perhaps you should be looking at two X15s for $45 more at the same thermal power/RMS. Or if you want to bump up the power 400-500wrms you could also consider one 15Q for $20 more.

Post Number: 5
I'm looking at 12s because i heard that 15 wont hit as many notes as 12s or 10s

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 1124
thats bull, my 15" Q sounds way better then my old 12"s.

Post Number: 6
ohh thats good to know but the other problem being is trunk space.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 581
ill let u know how my 15" sounds compared to the 12", both same model sub. What kinda car u got.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 23219
You'd be surprised at how a well put together single sub setup can perform over a pizz poor multiple driver one. It's a fine balance between design, equipment and install. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. You fail on any one of those levels in the scheme of things and you're dead in the water, err, so to speak.

Generally it's smart to keep things simple with a single sub, therefore many will see simpler success with a single 15 over multiple smaller drivers. The amp requirements, wiring and box calculations are much more one page design as opposed to the latter.

Paul can assume responsibility for this statement but would rather be guzzling whipped cream out of a can.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us