What kind of amp?

Username: Marshal

Post Number: 1
I have 2 12" Alpine SWR-1223d Subwoofers for the pair its 1200watts rms and 3600watts peak. What kind of amp should i get? I want a good amp with true power and that wont over heat. I have a sony xplod 800 watt that really only puts out 300. I like all the connections it has on it so i want the same ones on the new amp.

Post Number: 2
I dont want anything ridiculously expensive

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 486
Your going to need an amp that puts out 1000 to 1200wrms at 2ohm or at least around that. http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_19252_Alpine_MRP-M1000.aspx
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_19614_Kicker_08ZX10001.aspx
Those are just 2 off the top of my head. To expensive? Whats your budget so i can get a better idea of what your working with?

Post Number: 3
I was thinking about the mrp-m1000 but have read reviews that multiple people have said it would overheat and shut off easily b/c its not fan cooled. but whats your opinion? but out of those 2 which one would be better?

Silver Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 124
A lot of amps aren't fan cooled. Those people probably just didn't have it properly ventilated and they were probably running it at a ohm load lower than what the amp is stable. They might have also been clipping the amp which would make it over heat as well.

Just make sure that the amp is mounted in a place that gets plenty of air. Make sure to run ohm loads that the amp can handle, 2 ohm would be great in your application. Last, make sure to set your gains properly as to not clip the amp.

Post Number: 4
i get everything in my car professionally installed so i think they do all that but i would have no way of knowing cause i dont know a lot about car audio. i drive a nissan x terra and had everything installed at best buy and they put my amp in the storage compartment in the back which closes and sems like it would be a terrible spot for the amp but idk, and how do i hook up my subs to lets say the alpine mrp-m100

Post Number: 5
**mrp-m1000

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
Run them in series this would give you a 2 ohm load. This link will show you how to do it. Also, the Alpine MRP-M1000 would be a good choice.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wir ing/2DVC_2-ohm_mono.jpg

Post Number: 6
that link wouldnt work for me and if i have to option to get that amp used but in perfect condition, never installed in a car for 180 should i do it?

Post Number: 7
Or i could get an Arc Audio KS1000.1 for 200 used?
is arc audio good? which amp would be better arc or alpine?

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 489
I couldnt tell you what would be better,but ive owned the alpine amp and many other of there products and loved them all so... $180 sounds like a pretty good deal to me. On the other hand,i do believe the arc does 1000wrms at 2 and 1ohms so thats pretty handy too.lol Idk if that helps you at all. Good luck

Post Number: 8
The arc audio is fan cooled also but should i just stick with alpine cause iv never delt with arc audio before

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Arc Audio makes very good amplifiers but yet again that Alpine amp would be just as good.

Post Number: 9
Ha i need someone to tell me which one would be better!

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
If you can get the Arc that cheap and it's in good condition, I would take the Arc. Arc audio is more of an audiophile amplifier up in the ranks with Audison, Sundown, and Zapco. The Alpine is good but in my opinion the Arc is better.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14503
x2

Post Number: 10
whats the difference between a ported box and a vented box?

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 501
There are the same thing. Are you planning on building a box for your type r's? Just dont buy a ported pre fab box,do yourself a favor an build it or have somebody build one for you. Theres a guy on here who can build a nice box for you if you need it.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 502
Btw,what amp did you decide to go with?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i haven't got the amp yet still deciding im gonna try to get the arc audio tho just b/c it has the fan and where its going it will need it. but thats what i plan on doing but i dont wanna spend a fortune on a box i mean i know its not gonna be cheap. but what box would be better for my subs, ported or sealed?

and another question. i need amp wire. does the brand matter?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14520
ported will be louder but if you dont get a good box it will sound like crap

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
ill get a ported box then, but what about wires? i need at least 4 gauge but was thinking about getting 0gauge, but i need legit wires for cheap. Does The BRAND matter???

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
Lower brands generally don't have as much wire. It might say that it is 0 gauge but really it might not be. A lot of lower brand companies tend to make the wire sheath thicker to compensate for less wire. Really though, a 0 gauge kit of any brand should be sufficient with the amount of power you will be running. I'd just be safe and get a 0 gauge kit just in case you decide to upgrade in the future. Check out Knukonceptz, they have very reasonable prices on all their kits.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14543
x2
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us