Amp issue?

Bronze Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 36
My buddies subs have been randomly shutting off recently. The amp is still on when it happens (the light on the amp does dim alittle). In order to get the subs to start playing again he has to shut off his car wait a cpl seconds and then start it back up; and sometimes that doesnt do the trick, drive for a little bit and then they turn back on randomly.

Sounds like an amp issue to me, what do you guys think?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14468
sounds like your clipping the amp turn the gains down

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 906
Or you're running the amp at a lower ohm load than it is stable at, which leads to clipping.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
I also forgot to mention that this just started happening less than 2 weeks ago and the amp has worked 100% fine for the past 4 years. Id think if it was clipping the amp wudda gone much sooner. It was "profesionally" installed and setup ay circuit city 4 years ago. I assume the installer knew how to set amp gains.... But i may be giving to much credit. Possible that its been clipping very lightly and over time the amp has just been Slowly goin?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 909
Did you see the post about the guy who's car caught fire because of an inproperly installed system in his trunk? Guy had it installed by Circuit City. After they went out of busniess he was out of a car and his system. What kind of amp is it anyhow? It could be possible the ground has came loose or something though, so you may check all your connections.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
I purposefully didnt mention the amps brand to avoid any sort of bias, but .i guess ill go ahead and say it now. Its a sony. *let the jump to conclusion posts begin*. As far as connections go' everything seems solid but I will double check that next time i see him. I never did read the post about the dudes car that caught fire... Thats insane. I guess i really shouldnt excpect big retail store installers to be perfect. Ill check the gains next time i see him too.

Bronze Member
Username: Frank12391

Sydney, N.S.W Australia

Post Number: 15
Could be a bad ground. Particularly when you say the light dims a little. Hmm, yep. Check the ground cable, Make sure it's no longer than a foot, on bare metal & on the chassis of the car. Put some petroleum jelly on the bare metal to prevent surface rust & report back to us.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
While I don't think he has any petroleum jelly (I know i don't...) I will check the ground tonight.

Silver Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 114
Maybe the rca inputs on the amp or on your HU are going out? Just a thought.

Bronze Member
Username: Frank12391

Sydney, N.S.W Australia

Post Number: 24
^^^ Could be too or it could be going into protection as it might be clipping as suggested above. If it still happens & the ground is ok, you need to take a look at the amp, see if it's hot to touch, check the protection light, power light and report back to us.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us