Tossing around some ideas.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 896
I'm thinking of selling my current sub/amp and running something new. I'm thinking of going with 2 15" Fi SSDs in a sealed enclosure, then running ~1000 rms to them, maybe more. I'm not fond of the idea of running them at a 1 ohm load though, so I may get a pair to where I can run them at 2 ohm or even 4 ohm. What would be a good amp for 1k rms at 2 or 4 ohm? I know there's always an Alpine or 1000/1 but is there another good choice, maybe a little more affordable? I'm not looking to put a lot more money toward this set up over top of what I plan to get when I sell my current set up. Speaking of which, currently running 500/1 and a 12 w7, ported. I'm happy with my overall output, I'm mainly wanting stronger, deeper lows. Would I achieve this goal with 2 15's sealed, more so than with the current set up I have now? I know that if I was to upgrade my current amp to a 1000/1 I'd get more dBs with my current sub, but loudness isn't currently a problem.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 326
i was worried about running at 1 ohm also, but i run at 1 ohm now with my sundown and it sounds great.
if you want to run 2 ohms, i say look for an old rockford bd1000, or of course the alpine, or even the jbl gto14001. but the jbl draws a huge amount of current to run properly.
if you want great low end extension, just make the box to max specs for sealed, should sound great
you could probably sell your current system and basically pay for all of your new system!

Bronze Member
Username: Perfectcircle

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 85
a lot of the older kickers and new models for that matter are 2ohm rated.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 328
true but kicker seems to be more expensive, every now and then i see zx 750s and 1000s go for cheap on craigslist, but seems easier to get an alpine for cheaper

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 470
I agree with cwruck on the rf 1000bd. Used to have one,loved that amp! http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockford-Fosgate-Power-1000bd-/280525110083?cmd=ViewItem&pt= Car_Amplifiers&hash=item4150997b43

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 897
I've also been wondering about something else that I can't think of an answer for. When you run an amp at 1 ohm or even 0.5 ohm, it is harder on your electrical system right? What I don't understand is, if you were running 1k rms at 1 ohm the gain on the amp would need to be set at 31.62 volts. If you were running at 4 ohm at 1000 watts the voltage would need to be set at 63.25. The 4 ohm load would require a higher gain setting so how is it that a lower ohm load taxes your electrical more so than a higher ohm load?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us