New SQ Setup

Silver Member
Username: Silvermopar

Nebraska

Post Number: 184
I've been thinking about changing my Subwoofer setup. For the last couple years I've been running some kicker 12"s and have had a lot of fun watching things vibrate. But recently, I've grown tired of the excessive guitar bass and lack of clean thump from drum beats, and have a few questions.

Generally speaking, is a sealed box more focused on clean bass or a ported box? If the sealed is more for a SQ setup, would the bass be more clear if the volume of the box was closer to the max reccomended volume or the minium reccomended volume?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13828
sealed, and on the smaller side, but doing so will require more power as well.
what you may wish to try is simply lowering your XO frequency for the LPF. Try 50Hz, instead of whatever it is set for now. That'll tighten up the bass. So will turning off any bass boost circuitry on the amp or head unit, and making sure the gain on the amp isn't set too high.
Also if you have the option, set the Q or slope for the LPF to 18 to 24dB/octave

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 186
Thank you glass, I will give those things a try. I do have the CompVR12"s so I know they are not really SQ subs, but perhaps a few tweeks here and there will help for the time being.

I want to keep my zx750.1 if I were to try (a) new woofer(s) out. Could you name a few that would be a bit "tighter" than my CVRs that would also be under $100 a piece? Space... well... it is and is not a problem. I have an SUV so there is space and power for whatever but it would be nice to have a box a little smaller than what I have now, I think its a little over 3 cubes. It seems like everytime I want to haul something it would fit if I had one or two more inches in back. And flipping the rear seat and moving the box forward... well it ain't no fun.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14397
go with a single sub and use the 200 total would be a better option

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 389
ill selll u my ssa icon 12 for 210 shipped! its the new prototype version with approximately 3 hours of playtime. Dual 2 ohm. 1200 rms. SQ oriented with serious low end output. hits all notes great.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14420
what do those icons normally go for

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 187
I'm not looking to buy a woofer or two today. I just want to know of a few that should be considered. I've not really gotten to hear them but years ago on this site the Alpine type R was said to be a decent sq sub for around $100 a piece. What are some of the others?

For a primarly SQ setup, what size of sub usually works best? Or is there not a specific size that handles SQ better?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14448
an alpine sub is no sq sub to me maybe sql

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 469
I agree with sean,though they probably would sound alittle better than the Kickers.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 188
Alright, I think I will take the Alpine out of the running. I "think" that I want 75% SQ and 25% SPL. Clear tight bass that I can still feel.

Kicker and Alpine aside, what other modles should I consider. I still only plan to spend $200 for the woofer(s)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us